QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

If we get a Fields or Cousins we surely wouldn’t go 1st round on a Qb as well? We would be paying Jimmy G, AOC, 1st round rookie and Fields/Cousins 😳

Is it really a questionmark behind the first sentence? :)

I think we would say that Kirk/Fields is the clear starter and we have a great back up in AOC. No additional early QB pick would be needed IMO

49 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Is it really a questionmark behind the first sentence? :)

I think we would say that Kirk/Fields is the clear starter and we have a great back up in AOC. No additional early QB pick would be needed IMO

I’ve seen plenty say they would still want a QB in the first if we got Fields. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I’ve seen plenty say they would still want a QB in the first if we got Fields. 

I think if you invest a pick in Fields and it’s probably something like a second or third round pick (though I wouldn’t give more than a fifth), I don’t think you can go QB really with your first rounder unless someone falls right into your lap. That would mean a first and a third on QBs for arguments sake and then only really one pick to address DT, CB, OLine in the top 3 rounds.

If we’re willing to throw a reasonably high pick, like first 3 rounds at Fields I think you have to give him a year to see if he can develop into a solid starter. I think you delay committing the big resources until after the season and you know what you have in Fields. Fields would need an extension I believe so you’d have to make your decision then.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think if you invest a pick in Fields and it’s probably something like a second or third round pick (though I wouldn’t give more than a fifth), I don’t think you can go QB really with your first rounder unless someone falls right into your lap. That would mean a first and a third on QBs for arguments sake and then only really one pick to address DT, CB, OLine in the top 3 rounds.

If we’re willing to throw a reasonably high pick, like first 3 rounds at Fields I think you have to give him a year to see if he can develop into a solid starter. I think you delay committing the big resources until after the season and you know what you have in Fields. Fields would need an extension I believe so you’d have to make your decision then.

I’d agree with that. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Punt on QB get a vet like  Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold , Jameis

if 2024 doesn’t work out then hire Ben Johnson and then draft a QB

43 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Punt on QB get a vet like  Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold , Jameis

if 2024 doesn’t work out then hire Ben Johnson and then draft a QB

Those guys would probably be no better than O’Connell I reckon. Wilson is probably worse, Darnold so so but O’Connell could get better whereas Darnold is what he is and Winston is a dull as a box of rocks, don’t want him any where near the franchise.

If we’re going the vet route they have to have something to offer, and be an upgrade like a Mayfield, Cousins, Brisset or maybe Tannehill or Taylor. Otherwise, we might just as well give O’Connell a chance to improve, no?

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think he would be as well. I figure Williams, Maye, and Daniels are the only first round talents but there's some good early 2 guys like Penix, Nix, and I think Pratt will move up boards and could be a pretty good QB. Playing against meh competition won't help him though

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think he would be as well. I figure Williams, Maye, and Daniels are the only first round talents but there's some good early 2 guys like Penix, Nix, and I think Pratt will move up boards and could be a pretty good QB. Playing against meh competition won't help him though

Where does JJ fit? I can see a team taking him in the first late. 

6 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Where does JJ fit? I can see a team taking him in the first late. 

Yea that second group of jj, nix and pennix seems like our most realistic options. I don’t know who I like more

Jj is young but a wild card

nix is a young carr who I wonder is just a system qb 

pennix perfect minus the injuries 

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Pratt is an interesting option leading that 3rd tier group with rattler

Where I'm at right now if I would like to get a RT(Fauga or Latham) in the first and somehow get penix in the second. Liking the way he threw yesterday at the senior bowl but he would need to be protected. Nix seems to be more of a system guy.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Where I'm at right now if I would like to get a RT(Fauga or Latham) in the first and somehow get penix in the second. Liking the way he threw yesterday at the senior bowl but he would need to be protected. Nix seems to be more of a system guy.

I also start to think more and more, that we might go for a RT in the first and QB in the second.
Or even don't draft a QB at all in this draft, depending on who is available in free agency or via trade.

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

If JJ is on the board at 13 I would take a shot on him.  He's 20 and has all the tools to succeed on the next level but is quite raw.  He would need to sit for nearly a full season, which I am fine with if he comes out on the back end a stud. 

There is also a good chance he may not be on the board when we pick at 13.  Let's assume that Williams, Maye and Daniels are gone by pick 6, that leaves the Jets, Min, Atl and Denver all which could go QB before we pick.  I would assume JJ would be the 4th QB off the board.   

If JJ is on the board at 13 we make that pick and pair him with a Minchew type QB on the cheap to be a placeholder until JJ is ready.  Trading for a Fields or signing Cousins makes no sense to me.  Fields is not a good QB, nor is the long term answer for us, Cousins will cost too much and is at the tail end of his career.  We could use that cash to build quality depth and build for the future.  

Let's assume that we sign a Minchew type Qb for around 10M and JJ is gone by 13, I say we don't reach a QB like Phenix or Nix and look at Nate Wiggins as a lockdown #1 CB. We punt QB until next year...  

I am also firmly behind moving Adams for an end of the 1st pick.  Give me JJ at 13, a top CB, WR or Edge at the end of round 1 and Taylor (3T) in the early 2nd and interior OL in the 3rd that is a good haul going into day three....

• Like 2