QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

have you guys figured out yet what the Raiders are going to do this year, drafting a QB-wise? attempt a trade up? go after the second tier guys? not draft and get a FA?

i mean c'mon, there are those of us who need to know! lol

Try to trade up for McCarthy or Daniels

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Try to trade up for McCarthy or Daniels

hmm... that's a spendy proposition, eh? three 1st's at least, for Daniels in the 2 or 3 slot?

how high do you think McCarthy will go?

The more I think about it - the more difficult I think it will be for us to come out of this in a good position.

I’d made a post a while back about how the demand will really affect the second tier of QBs in the draft. I think the top 3 will go 1,2,3 with the only possible team trading out being the Pats. But rumour is that they are enamoured wit  h some of these QBs - so I can’t see them going out of range of either the 4th QB or one of the top, top WRs. So I just don’t think they will trade all the way down to 13.

I think we can safely say that Cousins is the only FA who could prevent one of the higher picking teams from taking a QB and it looks like it is between Atlanta and Minn for him. And while it’s good to take out 1 competitor, it just means the other one will be even more likely to draft one. 

Add the rumour that the Giants are 100% done with Jones and it looks like

Bears

Wash

Pats

Giants

Atlanta or Minn

Denver

If the consensus of pundits and our fans is that McCarthy is the only QB worth a high pick, I think we would have to move up to 4 or 5 to grab him and how likely are the Harbaugh led Chargers gonna want to trade with us in that context?

All of the teams ahead of us can easily beat us out in a trade for JJMc if they wanted to, which leaves the next option as Nix or Pennix. But again, with other similarly needy teams ahead of us, I can really see it ending up as another competition to trade up to get your guy out of that 2.

I think we are in a bad spot and all the media noise about AP wanting to trade up and Daniels wanting to be reunited with him is wishful thinking 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

have you guys figured out yet what the Raiders are going to do this year, drafting a QB-wise? attempt a trade up? go after the second tier guys? not draft and get a FA?

i mean c'mon, there are those of us who need to know! lol

It feels like the Raiders don't really know what they're going to do yet - let alone us random dudes on a forum.

Pierce talked about "not using a bandaid", which sounds like he doesn't want a Russ or Cousins type guy who will only be there for a couple of years max. But Pierce also says a lot of things, so it could be real, could be a smokescreen, could just be him talking as he likes to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

hmm... that's a spendy proposition, eh? three 1st's at least, for Daniels in the 2 or 3 slot?

how high do you think McCarthy will go?

It's a terrible proposition, as well. Trading up for those two would be a horrible use of capital. McCarthy likely goes top 10 IMO 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The league minimum this year, it has nothing to do with 2025 and beyond, why couldn't he just sign a deal that is the minimum in 2024 and shoots up in 25/26 to secure more GTD money for himself beyond this year?

It's just numbers. He has 40 million guaranteed this year. No team is going to offer him money on that level. 

He can play 1 year on 40 mil, then take another deal next year that has 40-60 mil in guarantees. 

There is no team in existence willing to pay a 36 year old QB that got dumped $100 million or more in guarantees this offseason despite how many hypotheticals you throw out there. Matter of fact, I don't think a 35 year old QB has ever gotten over $100 million guaranteed other than Aaron rodgers? Yet he could still get $100 million guaranteed if he simply takes a league minimum 1 year deal this year and take the next contract offer that comes his way. 

I mean, every is reporting the same thing. Him taking a multi  year deal is highly improbable because of howuch $$ he'd be throwing away. Most likely, he takes a 1 year deal. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/russell-wilson-contract-broncos-release-veteran-minimum/6b1df82c797434a864d00f7c

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10110583-russell-wilson-rumors-feeling-is-qb-signs-nfl-minimum-contract-after-broncos-exit

Could.he do.it? Sure, but it'd be dumb. The result of his value right now would.be him making 15 million next year on a 2-3 year deal with 60 million guaranteed instead of 35 next year and more after that if he waited. 

5 minutes ago, NickButera said:

It's just numbers. He has 40 million guaranteed this year. No team is going to offer him money on that level. 

He can play 1 year on 40 mil, then take another deal next year that has 40-60 mil in guarantees. 

There is no team in existence willing to pay a 36 year old QB that got dumped $100 million or more in guarantees this offseason despite how many hypotheticals you throw out there. Matter of fact, I don't think a 35 year old QB has ever gotten over $100 million guaranteed other than Aaron rodgers? Yet he could still get $100 million guaranteed if he simply takes a league minimum 1 year deal this year and take the next contract offer that comes his way. 

I mean, every is reporting the same thing. Not sure why you're arguing a wild goose chase hypothetical. Most likely, he takes a 1 year deal. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/russell-wilson-contract-broncos-release-veteran-minimum/6b1df82c797434a864d00f7c

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10110583-russell-wilson-rumors-feeling-is-qb-signs-nfl-minimum-contract-after-broncos-exit

He's obviously signing for the veteran minimum in 2024, but why can't he sign a deal that's the minimum in 2024 and spikes in 2025 when the team would have to pay him?

Either way I don't think he's a good fit here.

It’s not about the money, he’s just a terrible fit here. Absolutely terrible. He’s washed as well. I’m tired of trotting out other people’s trash at QB. Go get a freaking young dude and try to do it right. Quit freaking bargain bin diving. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

It’s not about the money, he’s just a terrible fit here. Absolutely terrible. He’s washed as well. I’m tired of trotting out other people’s trash at QB. Go get a freaking young dude and try to do it right. Quit freaking bargain bin diving. 

But he had 26 TD last season, that's twice as many TD as AOC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

I think we can safely say that Cousins is the only FA who could prevent one of the higher picking teams from taking a QB and it looks like it is between Atlanta and Minn for him. And while it’s good to take out 1 competitor, it just means the other one will be even more likely to draft one. 

yeah... right now from what we can read and hear, it appears Cousins is more likely to go to ATL than stay with the Vikings, which divides Viking fans.

another thing we read and hear is that the Vikings want to be aggressive this year in getting their future qb, not use a stop gap guy for any significant length of time.

so yes, i could see us trading with Harbaugh and the Chargers at 5 and drafting McCarthy so he can secure a good landing spot for his former QB and keep him out of the AFC. we could also accept Maye falling for whatever reason and swooping in and grabbing him. (we actually signed his high school assistant coach as a qb coach just last week, Josh McCown, (and took him to the Combine, if that means anything...)

but i'm just making that up as i go along, so who knows? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

oh yeah, i agree. someone trading with the Chargers at 5 or TENN at 8, or there are even some who say he'll be the 3rd QB taken.

As long as we don't get him, I'm good lol. Everyone feel free to jump on up there and overspend 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

oh yeah, i agree. someone trading with the Chargers at 5 or TENN at 8, or there are even some who say he'll be the 3rd QB taken.

I think the Raiders, Broncos, and Vikings are all going to be looking to move up into the top 3 or somewhere in the 5-7 range. 

• Like 2