Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

Positions I hope not to address in the 1st or 2nd round (barring something weird like a Top talent falling/La'el Collins situation):

OL: JT, Bitonio, Tretter, Zeitler, and Coleman are a rock solid OL group. Unless Orlando Pace 2.0 is available in the 2nd, let's roll with this group

DE: I love the Garrett/Ogbah duo. I don't want a situational pass rusher in the 2nd rounder.

DT: Brantley, Ogunjobi, and Shelton have looked solid. Unless some STUD falls to the 2nd, no thanks

LB: Collins, Kirksey, and Schobert are solid

Aside from these positions, I'm all for drafting:

QB: Should be the #1 pick of the draft

RB: We've seen Crow for four years. He's nothing more than average. I love Duke as a 3rd down back/slot hybrid.

WR: Even though we have Coleman and Gordon, we definitely need another playmaker and Red Zone threat at the WR position. I'd love a bigger bodied guy to pair with Gordon on the outside and Coleman moving to the slot. Plus, it's an insurance policy if Flash Gordon goes back to Hash Gordon.

TE: A "do it all" blocking/receiving stud TE to pair with Njoku would be huge in the Red Zone and create major mismatches in the personnel department in the running/passing game

CB: Huge weakness on this roster. McCourty has been a nice surprise/played well but I still think he's more of a 2nd guy.

FS: A true FS to pair with Peppers, moving full time to SS/in the box would be nice. Maybe Greg will even play him within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage...if Williams is even back next year.

With the number one pick, I only see two position groups worth even considering in THIS class: DE (Chubb), and QB. I'm with you MWil, we def don't need another DE. Chubb is not even on the same level as Garrett coming out.

I am not on the bandwagon of giving up on Kizer, but I'm trying to ignore my bias here when I say that taking a QB at one seems inevitable. I cannot see any other position group with a player worthy of #1 overall consideration. Having a second top 10 pick really cuts us a break because we can focus on them after first overall.

Question for you all.

Say we take our QB at 1. Barkley is gone at our next pick but a couple QBs are on the board still.

Buffalo comes in and offers their 1 KC 1 and a 1 next year. Currently sitting 21 and 22 this year. Or 1,1,2,2 this year

Do you take it?

1 minute ago, FEARtheELF said:

Question for you all.

Say we take our QB at 1. Barkley is gone at our next pick but a couple QBs are on the board still.

Buffalo comes in and offers their 1 KC 1 and a 1 next year. Currently sitting 21 and 22 this year. Do you take it?

They'd better pony up more than that if they want a Top 5 pick. I'd hold their feet to the fire.

2019 1

2019 3

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They'd better pony up more than that if they want a Top 5 pick. I'd hold their feet to the fire.

2019 1

2019 3

I went by the chart, I would guess we would get more but wanted to start somewhere. Obviously that looks even better and would give us 7 picks inside top 65. With Dorsey's record of hitting I would be very tempted to give him all that ammo. Plus stay loaded for next year as well.

Just now, FEARtheELF said:

I went by the chart, I would guess we would get more but wanted to start somewhere. Obviously that looks even better and would give us 7 picks inside top 65. With Dorsey's record of hitting I would be very tempted to give him all that ammo. Plus stay loaded for next year as well.

I'm not saying your original offer wasn't valid, but to me, we'd be looking at 3 picks in the 20s. I'd rather have one blue chip prospect than 3 shots at mid 20s talent...or more picks in the Top 2 rounds. That said, I like this RB class A LOT and would rather have the extra firsts and Guice/Love/Chubb than Barkley, but I'm apparently in the minority.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'm not saying your original offer wasn't valid, but to me, we'd be looking at 3 picks in the 20s. I'd rather have one blue chip prospect than 3 shots at mid 20s talent...or more picks in the Top 2 rounds. That said, I like this RB class A LOT and would rather have the extra firsts and Guice/Love/Chubb than Barkley, but I'm apparently in the minority.

With those picks you could find a CB, FS, RB and have ammo to move around next year as well. Huge opportunity to add quality quantity we have imo. Being able to take the QB we want and have another top 5 pick to sell to highest bidder is a pretty great situation to be in, IF there is not YOUR guy sitting there when your next pick rolls around.

A lot of Senior Bowl names being finalized

If we keep this coaching staff together we'll be coaching again

I think Dorsey would love it 

We'd probably come away with more than two senior bowl participants

I really like so far

James Washington

Jaylen Samuels 

Jaylyn Holmes

Quin Blanding 

All those players could be 2-3 round picks that could help this team 

1 hour ago, FEARtheELF said:

Question for you all.

Buffalo comes in and offers their 1 KC 1 and a 1 next year. Currently sitting 21 and 22 this year. Or 1,1,2,2 this year

Do you take it?

In a heartbeat.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

In a heartbeat.

Agree. I would have no problem trading down from the second first to a team desperate for a QB. On the basis that we already took ours with #1.

Fitzpatrick being available may give me some pause, but I'd take three number ones plus other picks over him.

I don't care if we stay put, trade down or even trade up with any pick in the draft so long as we draft guys who score touchdowns and guys who create turnovers. I don't want a linebacker who gets 180 tackles, I want forced fumbles and interceptions. I don't want a DB with 20 PD, I want interceptions and defensive touchdowns. I don't want a RB with 1800 yards, I want touchdowns. I don't want a WR with 120 catches, I want touchdowns. I don't want a QB with prototypical size and a rocket arm, I want minimal turnovers in the redzone and touchdowns. 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Agree. I would have no problem trading down from the second first to a team desperate for a QB. On the basis that we already took ours with #1.

Fitzpatrick being available may give me some pause, but I'd take three number ones plus other picks over him.

Absolutely.

If this team is really as devoid of talent as everyone thinks it is, you don't pass on that...

We get our uber talented QB, then trade down, pick up one of the WR's and a CB/FS/RB with the next pick?

I'm in

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

That just seems like the Sashi mentality to me, man. Like, he valued quantity over quality. I get the logic, believe me. But, at the same time, you trade outta the top 7 for mid-20's picks, you are also taking lesser talent unless you see something that 20+ other teams don't see. We did it this previous draft, we did it the one before, too. Didn't fare well. I love Njoku - still inconsistent, but talented - Peppers? I'm not sure. But the guy we passed up on has dominated to a level beyond both of these guys combined.

If a Fitzpatrick is on the board, I just don't want to pass that opportunity up. Hell, I'd even love Ridley, maybe Barkley. Regardless, these are guys with top-tier potential. I could argue that their impact would be bigger than 6 draft picks we'd acquire for later on in the draft.

10 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

That just seems like the Sashi mentality to me, man. Like, he valued quantity over quality. I get the logic, believe me. But, at the same time, you trade outta the top 7 for mid-20's picks, you are also taking lesser talent unless you see something that 20+ other teams don't see. We did it this previous draft, we did it the one before, too. Didn't fare well. I love Njoku - still inconsistent, but talented - Peppers? I'm not sure. But the guy we passed up on has dominated to a level beyond both of these guys combined.

If a Fitzpatrick is on the board, I just don't want to pass that opportunity up. Hell, I'd even love Ridley, maybe Barkley. Regardless, these are guys with top-tier potential. I could argue that their impact would be bigger than 6 draft picks we'd acquire for later on in the draft.

Yes but its all about whats available.

You're first assumption is that top 10 talent is only available in the top 10.

2014 is a great example...

Aaron Darnold, Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Ryan Shazier, Zack Martin, Derrek Carr, Kyle Fuller and CJ Mosley >>>>> Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Khalil Mack, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert, Anothny Barr, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins and Eric Ebron

Picking higher doesn't mean you will get a better player.

PIcking higher gives you a better chance? sure! But I would argue picking more also gives you a better chance.

Give me 3 mid-late first rounders over a second top 5 all day....

I see both sides of the argument, definitely. I think another big factor for me would be what team we were trading with. Someone desperate like the Bills giving us a 2019 first as well would be very enticing. Then just watching a combination of Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen flail their way through struggles and a QB controversy to give us close to or even the number one overall. 

Archived