Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

If this team is really as devoid of talent as everyone thinks it is, you don't pass on that...

Honestly with an average QB we are probably a 5 or 6 win team with the potential to be a .500 team. We probably wouldn't get more than an average performance from a rookie QB but just winning 6-8 games with the current roster would show that we aren't completely devoid of talent. We're probably 10-3 right now with a great QB.

If we think we can get a great QB I don't care what they do with the rest of the picks. Even a good QB and we are at least having a conversation about a winning record. I think we have a talented front 7, definitely could use some depth at LB but overall they are good enough to win with. Need a piece or two in the secondary but so do most teams. Offensive line is stable, try to get some future pieces and maybe an upgrade at RT if it falls in our lap. We could use a playmaker at WR or RB and depth. We don't have a huge laundry list though. Seems like we should at 1-28 but it isn't as bad as it sounds talent-wise. Just need a decent QB and decent coaching and we could see a quick turnaround.

6 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

Question for you all.

Say we take our QB at 1. Barkley is gone at our next pick but a couple QBs are on the board still.

Buffalo comes in and offers their 1 KC 1 and a 1 next year. Currently sitting 21 and 22 this year. Or 1,1,2,2 this year

Do you take it?

No way - if we are in a position to take a franchise QB and a potential blue chip pro bowl type player, we should do that, in order to get the rebuild on a faster track, rather than trade so far down and get guys who will need more development and future picks. We have enough picks stockpiled, and a very, very young roster already. Lets stop looking at the future and start looking at the present, or we're going to have yet another new GM and rebuild in 1.5 years.

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Yes but its all about whats available.

You're first assumption is that top 10 talent is only available in the top 10.

2014 is a great example...

Aaron Darnold, Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Ryan Shazier, Zack Martin, Derrek Carr, Kyle Fuller and CJ Mosley >>>>> Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Khalil Mack, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert, Anothny Barr, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins and Eric Ebron

Picking higher doesn't mean you will get a better player.

PIcking higher gives you a better chance? sure! But I would argue picking more also gives you a better chance.

Give me 3 mid-late first rounders over a second top 5 all day....

That’s true, and that’s why I think it is awesome that we will have someone who can evaluate football talent making these picks. See Dane Brugler’s tweet of recommendation for Dorsey. 

4 hours ago, Dogbite said:

I don't care if we stay put, trade down or even trade up with any pick in the draft so long as we draft guys who score touchdowns and guys who create turnovers. I don't want a linebacker who gets 180 tackles, I want forced fumbles and interceptions. I don't want a DB with 20 PD, I want interceptions and defensive touchdowns. I don't want a RB with 1800 yards, I want touchdowns. I don't want a WR with 120 catches, I want touchdowns. I don't want a QB with prototypical size and a rocket arm, I want minimal turnovers in the redzone and touchdowns. 

So you are saying that you want impact players, yes?

Since when (with the possible exception of Miles) have we picked one of those? 

56 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Just need a decent QB and decent coaching and we could see a quick turnaround.

Depending on our schedule,  if we get those two things and 2-3 impact players through the draft/FA, I could see us have a rags-to-riches turnaround, as in playoff bound.

10-6, 11-5...something like that.

Know this isn't really draft discussion but how does everyone feel about bringing Pryor back? 

Personally id love a WR core with Pryor, Gordon, Colem, and a guy like Christian Kirk

for the first round I'm taking Darnold or Rosen, then a DB whether it's Minkah, Derwin, or Ward

On 12/12/2017 at 6:35 AM, freakygeniuskid said:

How do people feel about Darnold's throwing motion? Like, it's weird (has a weird hitch or something in between the draw back and the release) but I don't know if it's bad weird or just not normal. Half the time I feel like he's... pushing it? Like, it seems like less of a circular motion and more of a horizontal one, does that make sense?

I worry about Darnolds throwing motion like I worried about Bernies.  Accurate, play-making QBs who earn their teammates respect and just find a way - that's all that matters to me.  

56 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Know this isn't really draft discussion but how does everyone feel about bringing Pryor back? 

Personally id love a WR core with Pryor, Gordon, Colem, and a guy like Christian Kirk

for the first round I'm taking Darnold or Rosen, then a DB whether it's Minkah, Derwin, or Ward

I would - I think he's a better fit here and he wouldn't break the bank either.  

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Depending on our schedule,  if we get those two things and 2-3 impact players through the draft/FA, I could see us have a rags-to-riches turnaround, as in playoff bound.

10-6, 11-5...something like that.

Yeah that would take everything you mentioned lining up. I was more talking about 6 or 7 or maybe 8 wins as a quick turnaround. I'll take 11 though

Archived