Derek Carr. What's happened?

Hunter2_1

First, I'd preface this by saying I was a huge fan of his coming out the draft and had him as my no.1 QB prospect. I also like him as a person (from what I can tell) so I really have nothing against him. But, this season, I think he's a very poor QB.

He is playing scared, he cannot let a play develop, and he is getting the ball out far too early - at the first sign of the pocket crumbling. Look at Wentz and Brady - they manoeuvre and extent the plays in their own way. Carr just is completely rendering that facet of QB play out.

"Consider: Carr completed only one of 10 passes thrown 15 or more yards downfield on Sunday, a 29-yard touchdown to tight end Jared Cook, and had a 2.9 yards per attempt rate.

In the 31-30 defeat of the Chiefs in Week 7, Carr was 5-of-14 on deep passes for a season-high 167 yards and two TDs with an 11.9 yards per attempt rate.

Plus, Carr has now thrown seven touchdowns and seven interceptions on passes of 15 yards or more this season, after throwing just three picks on 101 such passes last year."

• He is averaging hardly any yards through air
  • He is actually the ONLY QB who has a lesser QBR when using play action compared to when not using play action
  • According to ESPN, Carr had a Total QBR of 9.7, the third-lowest single-game Total QBR of his career, this weekend

Compare his performance to Jimmy G. Jimmy was getting the stuff kicked out of him, hanging in the pocket until the last moment and making it happen. Carr is actually hindering his offense. 

What happened? Is he even a top 15 QB now?

Just now, MWil23 said:

He's hurt, his WR's have been hurt/suspended, and his OL has underwhelmed to be honest.

I think he must be hurt, despite him telling the media he's 100%. You don't get the ball out at the first sign of danger like he does unless you're worried.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Flash in the pan season, kind of like Nick Foles had the one year, where lots of things bounced his way and made him look better than he was. I'm not saying Derek Carr is anywhere near as bad as Nick Foles is, but he's not a top 5, or maybe even top 10 QB from what he's shown this year.

He's not, for me.

Carr is playing scared, and pretty much has been since the leg break. He gets the ball out quicker than anyone else in the league, often forcing it when he really shouldn't as a result.

However, the offense in general has been hampered by the complete ineptitude of Todd Downing at OC. For all people criticized Bill Musgrave for being boring and predictable, at least he got the ball in the hands of his playmakers, and could call an offense that made sense based on the personnel available. Downing has shown absolutely nothing to convince any of us that letting Musgrave walk in order to hire him was the right idea.

It'll be interesting to see if Carr starts playing at a higher level again next year, under another new OC, which looks almost inevitable at this point. I certainly hope so, anyway.

He's a Top 8-10 QB in this league definitely imo. But people last year were overrating him like he was the next coming of Aaron Rodgers. He's not a ARod, Brady, Brees, etc. 

This year our offensive coordinator is a rookie and has been garbage. He also switched us to a ZBS blocking scheme and our protection went from the NFLs best last year to maybe 14-16 range this year. 

Archived