NFL to have QB's wear special colored jersey's next season.

mayanfootball

Well, they may have to consider something this drastic. Starting QB's are going down everywhere in 2017. Add Carson Wentz to the growing list.

NFL attendance could suffer if teams continually lose their best QB's to the injury list. And the NFL likes to make money. Why do I want to purchase season tickets if my team's QB can't be expected to play week-in, week-out. Team investment in QB's is at an all-time high. I'm sure teams would like a little more protection on their investments. It's hard to attain a playoff spot if your best QB goes down. It's hard to win in the playoffs without your best QB.

Carson Wentz is the latest tragedy. The list of injured QB's grows larger each week:

Wentz, A.Rodgers, S.Bradford, M.Mariota, A.Luck, T. Taylor, N.Peterman, Deshaun Watson, Matt Moore, Tom Savage, Carson Palmer, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater.....did I miss a team?

Defense players are just too big now. The physics of mpss/inertia can't be ignored.  I know, not getting to hit the QB makes 'em candyasses. But something's' gotta give and right now it's the longevity of the NFL QB. Maybe it's time to consider the dreaded red/yellow jersey and flag football for the QB's

Some QBs are asking to be hit. Carson Wentz' dive for the TD is just an example. Had he slid he'd been well protected - but he would not have scored. His choice and risk. The only issue I had in some games is the inconsistent enforcement of exisiting rules.

One thing possibly worth considering is opening up the option of immediate ejection for flagrant hits on protected QBs: while sliding, low hits, spearing etc.

In handball there's a rule that if you grab the arm of a throwing player it's an automatic penalty, because the risk of shoulder injury is so extreme. That on the one hand would be hard to enforce in football (and take away the fun of stripped balls), on the other it probably would only adress a small portion of the injury risk.  

What I am way more concerned about is the increasing number of foot/knee/leg injuries of players in general. The game got faster, the players more powerful. Just look at the number of Achilles injuries without a second player involved. That's something worth looking into. May be reducing the grip of the cleats may help - e.g. by limiting the number/length/shape of the spikes.

Wife, who is a 7 year NASM personal trainer, TPI level 3, and Master Degreed in Exercise Physiology,  suggests that the shoes may well be the issue.  Everybody wants to be sooo much faster, and the shoes are so much lighter,  they have NO support in the arches and the foot is flexing far more than necessary or meant to flex. Secondarily, the underlying muscles, the supporter muscles/small inconspicuous muscles, are not getting as much attention as needed for "muscle core stabilization" and underlying strength..  Listen to me talkin like I know something.....lol

Archived