Jump to content

Week 17: San Francisco 49ers at Washington Commanders


J-ALL-DAY

Recommended Posts

Well, that was not a good way to end Christmas as we got our first true beat down of the season. From pillar to post the Ravens gave it to us. Great performance by them....On to Washington in what I hope is our last road game of the season....

We wanted to have week 18 be meaningless but that is not going to be the case now. Not only that, but there is a good chance we have to win the next two games without Williams and Banks. Our entire running game goes essentially behind those two and obviously Williams is BY FAR our best pass blocker. The game against Washington may not be as easy as it seems. Brock will need to bounce back and I expect him to do just that but this is a game we need to get up early and dominate. Our defense has been shaky for three consecutive games and that needs to change before the playoffs start. I think the Commanders may go with Brissett this game and he can make it harder and have the team competing for at least a half. Overall though, we are on a whole another level and should win by 15+ points. Need to pay attention to the outside CB position opposite of Ward. Thomas has a hammy injury and Luter ended up finishing the game after Verrett allowed the TD on the first drive he was in. One of those two likely take over if Thomas can't play. Womack is the odd man out but he may be just as good of a cover corner as the other two at this point. The team seems to like Luter though and he's always playing tight coverage so let's see how this plays out.

SF 37

WAS 17

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Williams said he was ok after the game, but we'll see what the MRI report dictates. Sucks that yet again he might be breaking down as the playoffs loom near. Felt like Shanahan abandoned the run game with CMC too early against the Ravens. Would like to see the offense get back to just grinding it down the opponent's throat. Don't know how the offensive line will look. Hopefully not too rickety. Especially in pass pro when it comes down to it. Don't expect the 49ers to be on the end of a few wrong ricochets when they decide to go to the air. Ravens game sucked, but already excited to see the 49ers bounce back against the Commanders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Williams said he was ok after the game, but we'll see what the MRI report dictates. Sucks that yet again he might be breaking down as the playoffs loom near. Felt like Shanahan abandoned the run game with CMC too early against the Ravens. Would like to see the offense get back to just grinding it down the opponent's throat. Don't know how the offensive line will look. Hopefully not too rickety. Especially in pass pro when it comes down to it. Don't expect the 49ers to be on the end of a few wrong ricochets when they decide to go to the air. Ravens game sucked, but already excited to see the 49ers bounce back against the Commanders. 

So I don't agree with abandoning the run game too early. We were down four at halftime. We get the ball to start the 3rd quarter and we run it on first down and get stuffed for a 1 yard gain. Then it is 2nd and 9 with a loaded box. You kind of have to throw there. We end up punting and then we get the ball back and are down 11. Purdy throws a pick on the next possession and we are down 18. It just wasn't going to happen yesterday. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I don't agree with abandoning the run game too early. We were down four at halftime. We get the ball to start the 3rd quarter and we run it on first down and get stuffed for a 1 yard gain. Then it is 2nd and 9 with a loaded box. You kind of have to throw there. We end up punting and then we get the ball back and are down 11. Purdy throws a pick on the next possession and we are down 18. It just wasn't going to happen yesterday. 

About to go to bed here, but I'll just say I'm not on board. Maybe we'll talk about it more later. But we probably won't, which is fine because that game is not one I want to dissect too much anyway. Either way, Chao. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they start Jacoby, I think this game is going to be way closer than people predict. I'll take us to win, but Washington likely to cover. 

A lot going against the niners here just with regards to short rest, game time, injured players. I don't think that Washington has the guys to win this game, but wouldn't surprise me if this looks like the last Arizona game where it's just like 38 - 27 or something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they start Jacoby, I think this game is going to be way closer than people predict. I'll take us to win, but Washington likely to cover. 

A lot going against the niners here just with regards to short rest, game time, injured players. I don't think that Washington has the guys to win this game, but wouldn't surprise me if this looks like the last Arizona game where it's just like 38 - 27 or something. 

Certainly possible. The defense just isn't playing at an high level at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not really a run stopper but a solid depth player, especially with the Armstead injury. 

He was an excellent run stopper with the Rams. He won't be quite that with the niners just because we don't have Donald lol, but definitely should be fine

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game just got a whole a lot harder. Brissett performed well last season and brought the team back last week from a big deficit.

He's not going to take as many sacks as Howell or throw as many interceptable balls.

The offense will need to play a clean game and get going from the start.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...