2018 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis (short version)

KC_Guy

This. The question is whether yu are willing to spend 15% of the cap for two players with questionable availability who should no longer be considered as anything more than backups/spot players - without taking on a ST role.

Chiefs can clear 16 M$ in cap by releasing them/having them retire. 4 M$ remain as dead money. That provides the team with some real flexibility with regard to re-signings, extensions and new free agent acquisitions.

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

2018 is the last year of both of their deals. So by waiting another year we don't have any dead money. If we had extra picks next year I'd be for it. But right now we'd be replacing them with UDFA or cheap guys off the street since we don't have the cap to bring anyone in. Yeah we could gain 15mil by cutting them. But outside of KPL, there aren't really any UFA ILB/OLB that I'd like to bring in from what I have seen so far.

But I do agree that their cap hit is way too high. As of right now though, I'd rather ride it one more year with them as veteran leadership/depth. And looking at the UFA class of 2108, there isn't even anyone that I'd want to spend the money on outside of our own few guys. With no cap and no draft picks, we won't have a lot of turnover barring an Alex trade and some cuts.

Maybe it's me wanting to see them retire as being only on one team, which is rare in today's sports. Or it could be that I'm tired of all the dead money and I see that we're finally about to be free from most of it.

Dead money is not always a bad thing.  It would very easy to find replacements for DJ and Tamba without those contracts.  It’s only a bad thing when it costs you more to fill those spots than you gain.

A lot would see it had 4 Mil in dead (wasted money).   I see it as 16 Mil free whole not losing anyone who should be starting.

As much as DJ and Tamba have done for this organization, it’s a horrible move to keep both at any more the 2-3 Mil against the Cap. 

22 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

the latter ... ;-) - married for 5 years now. Well, we already were when we came to KC for the game.

lmao...."Once a bride, always a bride"...as they say!!  Glad things are good.  Merry Christmas Pard.  Go Chiefs.

Archived