2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Since we will be transitioning to this forum, important to get this thread back up and running so we can argue back and forth about guys we won't be drafting :D

Get your bandwagons started and make your cases when you hop on. 

I plan on watching a lot of college football this year so I'll have quite a few guys on my bandwagon. The early guys include Arden Key (LSU), Ronnie Harrison (Bama), Vita Vea (UW), Malik Jefferson (Texas), James Washington (OKSt), and Deondre Francois (FSU) 

Calvin Ridley is on my non-QB wishlist. I think he's going to be a steady producer for years. This is the "we got Cousins" draft plan. The most ideal scenario I think. Get a known high-quality QB, trade a top spot for a boatload of picks to a team wanting one of the QBs, grab a #1 receiver and other high prospects.

6 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Calvin Ridley is on my non-QB wishlist. I think he's going to be a steady producer for years. This is the "we got Cousins" draft plan. The most ideal scenario I think. Get a known high-quality QB, trade a top spot for a boatload of picks to a team wanting one of the QBs, grab a #1 receiver and other high prospects.

That's been along my line of thinking as well @y2lamanaki. It's certainly far from a forgone conclusion that we end up with Cousins next year but it would certainly go a long way in allowing our team to return to relevance and allow us to address other holes we have. With what already seems to be a much better draft class for OTs I would love to see us trade out of the top 5 allowing some other team to take a QB, then we draft one of these very promising OTs coming out next year. Have that rookie compete with Brown for RT and when the time comes shift him over to LT when Staley hangs em up. Then with our acquired picks in trading out of the top 5 along with our already owned two 2nd rounders take some shots at WR, pass rusher, possibly SS, OG/C or CB if needed. Getting Cousins could go a long way in not only addressing the huge QB need but also filling holes across this roster. I'm a big fan of Connor Williams, OT from Texas, Porter Gustin of USC/Duke Ejiofor of Wake Forest/Harold Landry of BC for the LEO/SAM position, Courtland Sutton from SMU/James Washington of OK St/Christian Kirk of TAMU/Deon Cain from Clemson/Dante Pettis of UW at WR and Ronnie Harrison/Quin Blanding as possible SSs.

10 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm not big on Ridley right now. He's an older prospect (will turn 24 during his rookie season in december I believe), which always makes me lower guys down. I am not a fan of older prospects at all. At wide receiver, I really like Sutton, who I had as a fringe first rounder last year. Kirk and Callaway are a little on the small side but those are two guys I like, and I like the latter a little more than the former. Deon Cain is a guy I'm going to be watching pretty closely, I suspect he's going to have a monster season. 

If we don't go QB, I'd really like us to go after Derwin James. I think Lynch will see the value of having a freakish safety and tone setter like James. If he can record some interceptions this year and build on his 2015 tape, chances are he goes top ten. 

10 minutes ago, Geek said:

If we don't go QB, I'd really like us to go after Derwin James. I think Lynch will see the value of having a freakish safety and tone setter like James. If he can record some interceptions this year and build on his 2015 tape, chances are he goes top ten. 

Depending on how this season plays out with Reid moving to SS and Ward (maybe even Jerome...I'm getting ahead of myself I know) playing FS we may not have a need there if they play up to their capabilities at each position. Reid is on the last year of his contract though so maybe we still let him walk and look for a younger option there. I agree with you though @Geek, there are a handful of intriguing guys that should be available in next years draft, James probably a top everyone's list.

Even if Reid moves on, I'd really like to see how Tartt does this year before jumping on the James bandwagon (the player himself - sure, I'm good with that). If we're going defense, there are a couple of solid pass-rushers coming up, and that's our biggest defensive need. If Key can pack some weight onto his frame, he'll be an Aldon Smith-esque freak of nature. 

I'm worried about Ridleys age too, but he's been a special player since his freshman season. I remember Teez Tabor in an interview said he was the best player he ever went up against and those are the types of stories I put a lot of stock in. Might not be a 1st or 2nd round talent based off measurables and the age but he has a lot to give to an NFL roster. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Even if Reid moves on, I'd really like to see how Tartt does this year before jumping on the James bandwagon (the player himself - sure, I'm good with that). If we're going defense, there are a couple of solid pass-rushers coming up, and that's our biggest defensive need. If Key can pack some weight onto his frame, he'll be an Aldon Smith-esque freak of nature. 

I'm still not sold on Key, I think at this point I'd rather have Harold Landry. I think Key doesn't quite have the same consistency, plus there are the character concerns with Key. Regardless they're both someone to keep an eye on this year.

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Depending on how this season plays out with Reid moving to SS and Ward (maybe even Jerome...I'm getting ahead of myself I know) playing FS we may not have a need there if they play up to their capabilities at each position. Reid is on the last year of his contract though so maybe we still let him walk and look for a younger option there. I agree with you though @Geek, there are a handful of intriguing guys that should be available in next years draft, James probably a top everyone's list.

I think we let Reid walk. He's decent but nothing special and at this point, I don't see any reason to pay him if we could scoop a huge upgrade in James. 

17 hours ago, Geek said:

I'm still not sold on Key, I think at this point I'd rather have Harold Landry. I think Key doesn't quite have the same consistency, plus there are the character concerns with Key. Regardless they're both someone to keep an eye on this year.

Maybe not the same consistency, but he's plenty consistent for me. He had sacks in 8 of 11 games in his sophomore year last year. My only concern is he's too slender at the moment, but through his sophomore year, I don't see that as a problem. If he can pack on another 10-15 pounds from when he was last weighed to the draft, he'll be at a healthy weight. 

8 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Maybe not the same consistency, but he's plenty consistent for me. He had sacks in 8 of 11 games in his sophomore year last year. My only concern is he's too slender at the moment, but through his sophomore year, I don't see that as a problem. If he can pack on another 10-15 pounds from when he was last weighed to the draft, he'll be at a healthy weight. 

By consistency, I mean on a play to play basis. I feel like he'll make a splash play then disappear for the rest of the series. 

6 minutes ago, Geek said:

By consistency, I mean on a play to play basis. I feel like he'll make a splash play then disappear for the rest of the series. 

Yeah, I get that. And it's a fair review, but I feel that's true of a lot of great pass-rushers early in their college careers. Early on, they're focused more on getting to the QB solely. And that's all I really want - someone that can consistently get to the QB. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Humorously, a similar complaint lodged again MG in this year's draft. 

Archived