2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

3 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

If the front-office can manufacture a trade-down in the first round, I'd be happy with Harold Landry or Josh Jackson. Those two, plus Roquan are my favorite targets right now. Nelson and Ward don't look like scheme fits, Fitzpatrick plays a position of zero need, and I want no part of Edmunds or Davenport, who look to me like better athletes than football players. Chubb at #9 would be wonderful, but that's not happening. Fortunately, this front office seems to take scheme fit very seriously, so I don't see the team drafting a guy who isn't suited for how the team wants to play. I just hope they don't take a flier on a combine freak who isn't good at football.

If the team doesn't trade down, I hope it's Roquan. He'd make a perfect Will linebacker, and his blitzing ability would help the pass rush.

Ward is a fine scheme fit - he played zone and man coverage in college, though OSU does tend to run more press man coverage than zone. He may not fit what we want from our corners (tall and long), but scheme fit itself isn't an issue. 

Times for Bradley Chubb in the short shuttle ranged as low as 4.18, more than two-tenths faster than his combine mark. Chubb looked great in drills and participated in defensive line drills while also doing a few drops into coverage. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots, who was on hand for the workout, mentioned to a number of people how impressed he was by Chubb.

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm hoping we trade back and Target Isiah Wynn he's the perfect guard for our scheme. The more I watch him the more I love his play.

I'm about this. It's at least 10 times better than drafting any of the edge guys. 

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

ALways hard to know how to value any timed performances on pro days.  Hand timing is notably unreliable and we've had 10 or 20 years of guys running a tenth or more faster on their pro days.  None of them got faster in those intervening few weeks. It just a result of different tracks and non-electronic timing.

13 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

ALways hard to know how to value any timed performances on pro days.  Hand timing is notably unreliable and we've had 10 or 20 years of guys running a tenth or more faster on their pro days.  None of them got faster in those intervening few weeks. It just a result of different tracks and non-electronic timing.

I do not disagree, sir. 

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Ward is a fine scheme fit - he played zone and man coverage in college, though OSU does tend to run more press man coverage than zone. He may not fit what we want from our corners (tall and long), but scheme fit itself isn't an issue. 

My main concern with Ward is his lack of physicality and tackling ability. But they took a chance on Witherspoon when he was labeled as soft coming out, so what do I know? Ward looks like an excellent prospect and I'd love to have him if there's a place for him.

Hey now. Penn State WR Daesean Hamilton just ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at PSU’s Pro Day ?

— Pat Leonard (@PLeonardNYDN) March 20, 2018

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/03/20/daesean-hamilton-blows-up-at-penn-states-pro-day/

yes, I know pro day numbers mean little, but since he didn't run it a the Combine.. I found it noteworthy. I like this dude. if we have interest in a rd 3-ish WR. 

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Hey now. Penn State WR Daesean Hamilton just ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at PSU’s Pro Day ?

— Pat Leonard (@PLeonardNYDN) March 20, 2018

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/03/20/daesean-hamilton-blows-up-at-penn-states-pro-day/

yes, I know pro day numbers mean little, but since he didn't run it a the Combine.. I found it noteworthy. I like this dude. if we have interest in a rd 3-ish WR. 

I feel like Chark and Hamilton, your two crushes, have a really good chance to drop to us in round 3. I think DJ Moore and EQ Brown blowing up at the combine will push those two into the third. I'd be cool with either, really turned into a big Chark Fan. There's some reading in between the lines about how a player looks on the field when people are saying Chark is 6'5 but he measured in at 6'2. Plays bigger than his already big-ish frame. 

I also full expect us to grab a receiver in the third and I think both of those guys fit the bill for us. Especially Chark. Speed makes Shanny drool, add in size and good ball skills...I could see it. 

43 minutes ago, John232 said:

I feel like Chark and Hamilton, your two crushes, have a really good chance to drop to us in round 3. I think DJ Moore and EQ Brown blowing up at the combine will push those two into the third. I'd be cool with either, really turned into a big Chark Fan. There's some reading in between the lines about how a player looks on the field when people are saying Chark is 6'5 but he measured in at 6'2. Plays bigger than his already big-ish frame. 

I also full expect us to grab a receiver in the third and I think both of those guys fit the bill for us. Especially Chark. Speed makes Shanny drool, add in size and good ball skills...I could see it. 

Of all the names you just mentioned I'd like St. Brown in the third.  I want a big receiver. I want a good receiver. I think he's both.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Of all the names you just mentioned I'd like St. Brown in the third.  I want a big receiver. I want a good receiver. I think he's both.

I would be cool with it, I just think he's pretty unpolished and his hands are questionable. That said, he's not going to be expected to do much early on. 

Just now, big9erfan said:

Rasheem Green - is he a Leo? Still trying to find one to take with one of our third rounders.

The USC kid? No, he's a 4/5 tech or 3-4 end. HIs athletic numbers were pretty awesome though iirc. He's large though, like 280+ too (again, iirc). You'd have to check though. 

Mockdraftable.com is great. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I would be cool with it, I just think he's pretty unpolished and his hands are questionable. That said, he's not going to be expected to do much early on. 

Unpoiished is the only reason I think he might last till one of our thirds. Don't know about his hands.  Saw him make some nice catrches at ND, but didn't watch too many of their games. SO don't really know.

Archived