2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Looking through the Draft forum I stumbled across a guy who, I think it was @Ozzy, someone had mentioned. Darius Leonard, LB, SC St. Obviously level of competition comes into question but then again he had games against Clemson and LT and showed very well. All over the field making plays as a pass rusher, in coverage, and stopping the run. Only reason I bring up LT is while watching highlights I'm pretty sure I watched him make two tackles on Trent Taylor out in coverage, who as we know is very shifty so Leonard looks pretty comfortable out in space. A lot can happen but maybe an option in the middle rounds for a future SAM. Take a look at him.

Scouts, coaches and teammates have also told me of his personality, which can come across as "uncoachable, smarter than all of us and a prick.

One scout I spoke with said when he looks at Rosen, he sees another version of Colin Kaepernick.

Per Matt Miller, regarding Josh Rosen. No real shock, I've said for a while now that his personalty is going to rub some teams the wrong way. 

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That is exactly what I was talking about. This is my impression of Rosen as well.

Just out of curiosity, based on what ( before this article) ? Previous quotes from teammates were all glowing with regards to Rosen, and he lives with a couple of is teammates. He's never been in any real trouble, and outside of speaking his mind with regards to college athletics and politics, there's been nothing that indicates the he was prickish or uncoachable. Also, note that it said it can come across that way - not that he actually is that way.  

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sees another Kaepernick in exactly what way?

Sorry, I should have posted a link to the article. 

The scout himself does not say, or at least it's not said by Miller. But the following paragraphs are about Rosen's outspokenness, the one time he wore a shirt that was not very nice to our president, etc. 

Here is the link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2727745-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-josh-rosen-the-next-colin-kaepernick

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Sorry, I should have posted a link to the article. 

The scout himself does not say, or at least it's not said by Miller. But the following paragraphs are about Rosen's outspokenness, the one time he wore a shirt that was not very nice to our president, etc. 

Here is the link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2727745-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-josh-rosen-the-next-colin-kaepernick

I never considered Kaepernick particularly outspoken. He has opinions, but it's not until three weeks into his "protest" that someone noticed, and he was forced to speak out. I see nothing wrong with Kap's character, in that he believes in something and can't stand idly by. I see something wrong with his intelligence, because it took him weeks before he even started to speak his mind, when he had more than enough opportunities to do it. It's almost as if he wanted to take a stand, but didn't necessarily wanted to talk about it. In that sense, I don't think he's outspoken.

Now, Rosen... well, if he has beliefs and opinions and want to talk about them, he can and he should. As long as he's aware that the better he performs, the more weight it gives to his speech. If he sucks on the field, people will consider his opinions a distraction. Kap didn't perform well enough for his "distraction" to be forgiven and accepted. If Rosen can do both, I don't see a problem with it. But if he can't perform, then the mouthing of opinions will just be one more argument against him, just like it was with Kap. Let's imagine for a second that both Kap and Kirk Cousins are free agents right now, and both are equals on the field, which one is going to draw the more attention? Cousins, obviously. But now, Kap isn't even at Cousins' level on the field, and he has this "distraction" hanging over his head on top of that. Rosen might very be a top 5 pick next year, so teams will view is potential as much higher than Kap's on the field. That potential alone will be enough to forgive the outspokenness. 

I could see why a lot of teams would be uncertain about him. Considering how conservative many football coaches and owners are, I could see why someone who is an outspoken liberal would rub them the wrong way. But outside of his political views, he seems to be an upstanding citizen from all accounts. His political views should have nothing to do his impact on the football field so I consider it completely irrelevant. In fact, if he drops to us because of his political views I'd be overjoyed at the chance to have him. Like I said in a previous post, there likely is no better NFL city for an outspoken liberal QB than San Fransico, so I couldn't see him cause the majority of our fans trouble with his outspokenness. But if he really is difficult to coach because of his attitude, there is where I start to have a problem with him. I'll be curious to see what his coaches and teammates have to say about him after he leaves school.

It's not just his politics.  There are a lot of questions about his love for the game,  his ego, his leadership, his coachability, his attitude.  I've read questions from scouts about those kinds of things about him. Of course a lot of great players have huge egos and seem like they might be trouble to deal with, but aren't.  Then again those very qualities keep some people moving around the league.  No one ever questioned TO's ability, yet every team he ever played for got rid of him, and most pretty quickly.  Which one of those two he turns out to be I don't know.  But it's too simple just to think people are talking about his politics and think that will fine here.  Like you said at the end of your post, It's everything about him. We'll know a lot more about how good he is when this season is over, and likely a lot more about whether he's just "outspoken" or whether he's more of an "a-hole" than just outspoken.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm just excited that guys may want to play for us lol

I get it, I love hearing that these guys still remember when we were a force and want to be a part of the team that returns us there. As for Allen, I'm hoping for a big year from him, along with Rosen and Darnold, so that we have options. While I do have questions about his game I'm pulling for all these guys to stay healthy and show real well.

Archived