2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

I think people are overreacting on Darnold. I think whats going on is just pretty standard growing pains. People have to remember how raw he is. He only had one year of high school, now a little more than a year in college. He's dealing with less talent, and his oline has really suffered. 3 left for the nfl, and at various times they've been down 3 starters at the position this year

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, not saying that yet but it is possible those two are the best of the bunch. No way do I think those two will be the first two QBs taken though.

I actually think Jackson could have a shot. He and Allen have the greatest upside in this class. Mayfield is a harder eval. He's out of control. He's got a little Favre, a little Manziel. Could top out as a great college quarterback and i wouldn't be shocked. He's got physical limitations and his game doesn't always translate. But sometimes it does. If he has a controlled chaos akin to Wilson, he could a steal

I've been on the suck for Rosen or Darnold bandwagon. But after watching yesterday's game it's clear we need to add a ton of talent to this team.  Our outside edge defenders suck - both OLBs and both CBs need to be upgraded.  Both our G's need to be upgraded (maybe a glimmer of hope that Garnett will work out). Our C sucks.  The middle 3 of our o-line were just flat out embarrassed yesterday. Well, and in most games honestly.  Add the fact that Staley has now had a couple of not so good games and it's clear he's on the downside of his career we could use a tackle too. We could use a play making TE - that can actually catch the ball, and we could use a big-bodied WR that we can go to even when he's covered. As far as I'm copncerned, the jury is still out on Ward as our deep cover safety.  Frankly I don't see any Earl Thomas potential there and he might be better back at nickel corner.

It would be a decent strategy to use all that cap space we have to "buy" Cousins (which should give us a good 5 to 6 years to find a young QB) and then trade our high first for a boatload of picks and try to fill as many of those holes as we can. Turn that first into a couple of firsts and a couple of seconds add that to the two seconds we already and that would give us 6 guys in the top 2 rounds. Plus our third next year will be darn close to a second. Even after paying Cousins we'd still have enough cap money to add at least one pro bowl, or near pro bowl, level player if there was one out there that filled one of our holes.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we get Cousins, then I don't want to trade down too much. There are some damn good pass rushers in this draft and we need to grab one of them. That will take care of two of our biggest needs. 

People seem to be pretty down on this draft for LEO/Edge rushers. Harold Landry seems to be the top dog and he's not wowing people. Arden Key has been a let down by all accounts (I haven't watched much CFB so I'm echoing collective pundits) and Harold Landry although getting numbers doesn't look good. Chubb seems to be the best end right now.

However, I agree with you, no interest in trading down if we go Cousins. Add another potential elite piece and dole out for some free agents on top of Cousins. 

I'd like AR15 but not counting on him hitting the market. Demarcus Lawrence would be my top pick so we could then focus on grabbing one of the various top OT prospects and play them at Guard until Staley is gone. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not down on them at all. Chubb/Landry/Key/Sweat and even Hercules who I think will be an edge at the next level. 

The only thing I will say is that Landy is abysmal against the run. BC doesn't even trust him to be on the field in run situations. 

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not down on them at all. Chubb/Landry/Key/Sweat and even Hercules who I think will be an edge at the next level. 

completely agree, I think this years pass rushers are on par with last years minus the obvious freak thats Myles Garrett. 

Chubb, Hercules, Both Clemson guys Ferrell and Bryant, Key, Sweat and Landry all should be 1st rounders. Its likely they all wont though which is why holding off till the our 2nd (late first trade up again) might be a smart move if we dont see a huge separation. 

I havent watched these guys yet (Josh Allen-Kentucky, Dorance Armstrong-Kansas) but they have some hype too. 

34 minutes ago, John232 said:

How about Minkah Fitzpatrick? 

At Corner...yes, but is he a safety? 

I have a question for those who've seen him, is Derwin James incapable of what people project Hasaan Reddick being (edge rusher, off ball backer)

Archived