2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Sony Michel is my draft crush this year. I am officially starting the Sony Michel bandwagon. Guy is a hatputs. 

I said this earlier but he's an absolute perfect fit for the zbs and the outside stretch play. If we get him I think he will be a favorite for OROY. 

14 minutes ago, N4L said:

Sony Michel is my draft crush this year. I am officially starting the Sony Michel bandwagon. Guy is a hatputs. 

I said this earlier but he's an absolute perfect fit for the zbs and the outside stretch play. If we get him I think he will be a favorite for OROY. 

He and Breida could be a scary duo. Neither of them is a power back, but I think that is overrated when it comes to picking up a yard or two, sometimes. Danny Woodhead has been an effective goal line back, and with those two back there, any given play we could rip off a 75 yard run to be perfectly honest. 

Sony has shown some good power too. I think when defenders don't expect you to initiate contact you can catch people off balance or in a backpedal. Everyone knows he has speed but I've seen him run through people as well. He's 5'11  215 lbs. He's certainly not a 'power back' per se but he's not a one trick pony.

He seems to have a knack for getting the outside and is good at finding the cut back lanes. 

Sony and Breida would be a nice combination. Not too far off from Freeman and Coleman. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Sony has shown some good power too. I think when defenders don't expect you to initiate contact you can catch people off balance or in a backpedal. Everyone knows he has speed but I've seen him run through people as well. He's 5'11  215 lbs. He's certainly not a 'power back' per se but he's not a one trick pony.

He seems to have a knack for getting the outside and is good at finding the cut back lanes. 

Sony and Breida would be a nice combination. Not too far off from Freeman and Coleman. 

Power is a function of mass and velocity. I'm sure a 215lbs back can generate just as much power as a 230lbs, just by hitting the hole faster. Simple physics. Anyway, in short yardage, vision is just as important as actual "power". Finding the crease in the line is what matters. That's why QBs can successfully run the sneak without even having a running start. Our power game, if we are to have any, will go through an improved interior OL and running backs with good vision. Not necessarily worried about the size. 

11 hours ago, N4L said:

I haven't finished my review of running backs yet, but Michel is most likely going to be my favorite. I think there would be little difference in what he or Barkley would bring to this team from a production standpoint (both being great additions, but at much different costs).

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I haven't finished my review of running backs yet, but Michel is most likely going to be my favorite. I think there would be little difference in what he or Barkley would bring to this team from a production standpoint (both being great additions, but at much different costs).

Well if he turns out as well as your Kamara pick then I want him!

8 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I like Sony too and would be happy with him...but don't sleep on John Kelly from Tennessee. Never carried a full load so he doesn't have the stats...he has a ton of carries left on those legs. Also showed he can catch out the backfield this season(37 cth). Runs hard like a wrecking ball and has some speed. If he stayed for his Sr yr he'd be one the top Sr RB next yr I believe. 

And yes he was suspended one gm for weed.

A big receiver that I've liked the few times I've watched him whose name I don't think I've read in any of the 49ers threads is Equanimeous St. Brown. ND's QB sucked and they had a bad passing game so he didn't wrack up big stats.  But in the few times I watched him he looked really good to me - looks fast on tape, athletic, good route runner, good hands. Nice speed to size ratio for me. Since I'm looking for a WR to take outside of the first I looked up his highlights.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I like St. Brown, but he's not dropping out of the first. I think he's going to test really well and in a WR scarce year, his tape and testing numbers will outweigh his subpar production as a result of ND QB's. 

Ah. I hadn't heard anyone talking about him so I thought I'd spotted a hidden gem. Had no idea he was a first rounder.  Oh well. I'll keep looking.

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Has anyone watched Davenport yet? Candidate for our 1st rounder or no?

Yupp, especially after Ferrell and Bryant decided to stay at clemson the edge rushers pool took a hit. A trade down option forsure, could even slide to the 3rd round like Terrell Basham did last year. 

38 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Ah. I hadn't heard anyone talking about him so I thought I'd spotted a hidden gem. Had no idea he was a first rounder.  Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Yeah, there are people mocking him in the late 20's fairly often. Buffalo and Carolina being possibilities,

One guy who is blowing up the shrine game is Joe Ostman from Central Michigan. Hearing he's hands down been the best pass rusher. Probably could get picked up with a mid to late round pick too.  

Such the homer, I know, but I do think LSU's D.J. Chark will end up being a good starting WR.

He may even develop into a true #1; it would surprise me not at all. Chark's got size, speed, hands, and YAC ability. His numbers are not eye-popping, but most would agree that LSU didn't have the QB or playcalling to make their WRs shine. I'll bet the 49ers will. :) 

Archived