2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm a big 3 cone guy myself, and I said earlier this year that I wanted to see his combine before I decided on his fit. I think he's fine as a traditional end. Leo? I don't know. I think of them being more lithe and explosive. Like a 34 olb. 

Yeah the 4-3 we run is more a modified 3-4 than a traditional 4-3 in my eyes. I would take Chubb if he was there at our pick and be happy about it depending on who else was available but to trade up for him i don't feel comfortable enough. There really for me isn't much worth in trading up ever unless you can grab a second late first rounder like we did last year to get that 5th year option or what we did to grab Reid. Trading up in the top 10 for me usually ain't worth the price. How much i would like to have Nelson i wouldn't move up and give up what is needed to grab him. Same with Barkley or whoever else is there. If you want to have sustained success you have to hit on your picks and the best way to maximize that chance is to have more picks so you can have some stinkers and still get away with good players. The chance of picking a good player is bigger the higher you pick but you need 53 man and with all the needs we have i wouldn't feel comfortable with trading up and giving up good picks we could really use to build up this team.

Don't usually get into looking at late round guys since it's hard to tell them apart but I've been scouring the combine results and prospect writeups and found a couple of guys that seem interesting to me.  First is Marquis Haynes who looks like a decent edge prospecct for a mid/late 4th round target.  And Dorian O'Daniel seems like a nice very late round target just for his ST abilities.

14 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Don't usually get into looking at late round guys since it's hard to tell them apart but I've been scouring the combine results and prospect writeups and found a couple of guys that seem interesting to me.  First is Marquis Haynes who looks like a decent edge prospecct for a mid/late 4th round target.  And Dorian O'Daniel seems like a nice very late round target just for his ST abilities.

Agree on O'Daniel. I like him as a late rounder if only for the ST 

16 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Trading up in the top 10 for me usually ain't worth the price. How much i would like to have Nelson i wouldn't move up and give up what is needed to grab him. Same with Barkley or whoever else is there. If you want to have sustained success you have to hit on your picks and the best way to maximize that chance is to have more picks so you can have some stinkers and still get away with good players. The chance of picking a good player is bigger the higher you pick but you need 53 man and with all the needs we have i wouldn't feel comfortable with trading up and giving up good picks we could really use to build up this team.

Generally I'd agree. But I see Barkley and Nelson both being top 3 level prospects, and it's about how much you value the drop off after them. So if we can throw in a third roundder, I see it as the equivalent of moving up to 2 or 3 if either is there at 6. So we're getting the value of a 2nd/3rd overall pick but giving up the resources for the value of the 6th.  

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet but Tre Edmunds older brother(by a year), Terrell is a intriguing mid round prospects with a ton of athleticism. Could latch on as a STs player and maybe develop down the road. 

I went into this part of the year wanting Ansah and Pugh. But in truth what I wanted was two really solid starters at positions of need and I've said many times that I think our CB group is the weakest position group on the roster. So that's one down. One more to go ... although of course 3 would be even better. 

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

After signing Sherman I doubt we grab a CB @ 9. Hopefully we can still draft either Isaiah Oliver or Isaac Yiadom on day 2 of the draft. 

I agree. Drafting a CB at #9 would be a colossal waste of resources at this point. Almost certainly, this will be LB, OL, EDGE, Barkley, or WR, probably in that order of likelihood. But I do want a 3rd or 4th round rookie.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I agree. Drafting a CB at #9 would be a colossal waste of resources at this point. Almost certainly, this will be LB, OL, EDGE, Barkley, or WR, probably in that order of likelihood. But I do want a 3rd or 4th round rookie.

I think EDGE would be highest if the prospects met the need. Alas.

46 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think EDGE would be highest if the prospects met the need. Alas.

Holy hell,  the dead have risen this week! Both you and @P_locniners have returned. Welcome back, friends! Don't be strangers during our Garoppolo Super Bowl years!

(And yeah, your comment is dead on, too)

Archived