2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

14 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Poor man's Marshall Faulk?

At least he's bigger than McKinnon. 

I think if given the opportunity to play RB fulltime he can do some of the same things the 2 RB in our div can do. Obviously he's not on the same talent level(though not as far as you'd think) as them but his skill set is very comparable. 

12 minutes ago, sherm said:

I think if given the opportunity to play RB fulltime he can do some of the same things the 2 RB in our div can do. Obviously he's not on the same talent level(though not as far as you'd think) as them but his skill set is very comparable. 

Next Roger Craig confirmed.

17 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Not that it probably holds any weight but Chris Biderman, mocked us Landry as well at pick 9.

Then maybe go after Oliver in the second, or like some mentioned, we may have to trade up and get him. 

Glad the Landry to SF is picking up some steam. That's who I'm going with. I bet Landry as we get closer to the draft starts becoming a popular pick for us. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Glad the Landry to SF is picking up some steam. That's who I'm going with. I bet Landry as we get closer to the draft starts becoming a popular pick for us. 

Still not my first choice, but I'm sort of in a meh whatever place with it. He's not my 9th best player in the draft or anything, but I get it. He's certainly got the upside down to be worth the selection. I just hope he's not as big of a project as I think he is. 

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

IDK about Ward being a top flight starting CB on the outside@his size. He reminds me of a more polished version of Verrett@ this point. He could end up being the next Chris Harris, Jr clone but its very debatable. I think he'll be a excellent slot CB. He'll be able to run with virtually any slot WR and his movement skills are crazy. But I'm just not certain about him being a top flight starter on the outside@the next level like I was Lattimore. And if you're taking him@9, he needs to be a sure bet there. But as a slot guy, he's one of the better ones to come along. I think he'll thrive in the slot as a pro.

Deion Sanders, who might well be the best outside corner of all time, measured in at the combine virtually identical to Ward - a little under 6 feet and 182 pounds. An inch or two has little to do with how good a corner is going to be. Ward is the best corner in the draft, and by a lot, and no matter where you put him or what defensive scheme he's in.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Actually agree with this. Have been on record for a while now that I wasn't sure I loved the fit for him for what we need. I just don't know that he's exactly what we would want. Believe it or not, Im actually in line with J here - most know how I feel about Landry, but I'd rather take him at 9 than give up a high asset to move up for a guy who probably has a comparable ceiling (think chubb has a much higher floor), and may not be the best fit. 

It's just such a bad year to be looking for a pass rusher, particular at 9 and then 59.  If your forced me to take a pass rusher at 9 I think I'd take Davenport. His floor might be lower than either Landry or Chubb, but his ceiling might be higher. Of course both guys being so "iffy" is why I'd probably go with Smith or Edmunds.

Multi-purtpose, or "versatile" often is a  back-handed complement - a way of saying a guy is not very good at anything.  As a RB-receiver Samuels is good. But he played in 50 games in college and barely broke a total of 1000 yards for his entire career.  When I see stuff like that I wonder why he would become a 1000 yard a year RB in the NFL  when his best year in college he barely broke 400.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Still not my first choice, but I'm sort of in a meh whatever place with it. He's not my 9th best player in the draft or anything, but I get it. He's certainly got the upside down to be worth the selection. I just hope he's not as big of a project as I think he is. 

When I started watching more and more of Landry, I thought he reminded me of Aaron Lynch. Good hand fighter, isn't going to wow you with physical abilities but he has a natural feel to rushing the passer. Would you say that was a decent comparison? 

Lynch has talent, but obviously has some off field issues that show up on the field. 

Not sure if Landry is a cornerstone pass rusher. I feel like we could get a decent speed rusher in the third round, anyone that fits the bill I should check out? 

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Multi-purtpose, or "versatile" often is a  back-handed complement - a way of saying a guy is not very good at anything.  As a RB-receiver Samuels is good. But he played in 50 games in college and barely broked a total of 1000 yards for his entire career.  When I see stuff like that I wonder why he would become a 10900 yard a year RB in the NFL  when his best year in college he barely broke 400.

Could just be the offense he played it and how he was utilized. He had 1000 scrimmage yards last season, and over 900 a couple of years before. Just looking at their team stats it doesn't seem like he was ever the feature back as a rusher, but still was their leader in scrimmage yards at that same position.

I know this was a while ago, but Ricky Watters also had smaller yearly numbers during his college days. When he went to the 49ers though he became a monster numbers wise as a rusher and receiver. 

I agree with this and why I didn't want to pay someone like McKinnon the type of contract he got. But it's fine, not like the contract held us from getting someone else we wanted nor is it contract that will give us any issues in the future. 

11 hours ago, big9erfan said:

It's just such a bad year to be looking for a pass rusher, particular at 9 and then 59.  If your forced me to take a pass rusher at 9 I think I'd take Davenport. His floor might be lower than either Landry or Chubb, but his ceiling might be higher. Of course both guys being so "iffy" is why I'd probably go with Smith or Edmunds.

Edmunds isn"t iffy?! I'd say he's more iffy than Landry, but less so than Davenport. Edmunds is still more physical specimen than football player at this point, and I find that troubling. There is a certain point where you just can't teach instincts, and 3 down LBs in the modern NFL have to process a lot of information from snap-to-snap. I don't have any idea if Edmunds has got what it takes between the ears to reach his potential, but he certainly didn't seem to be all that good at playing his position in college.

With Landry, he seems to know how to play his position quite well. It's more a question of whether or not he can develop the techniques needed to dominate at the next level - inside moves, spin moves, etc. I tend to think that these sorts of techniques are more easily taught at the NFL level than what Edmunds is lacking, namely, any clear idea of where he should be and what routes to the ball he should take on any given play.

Archived