2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

People here seem to be loving Landry more and more these past few days even as the "experts" seem to be preferring Davenport more and more. Kiper has Davenport 12 on his big board and Landry 25. Jeremiah's got the biggest difference I could find. He's got Davenport at 10 - making him not a reach at 9, and he's got Landry at 39. Four of the five guys having mocks at the NFL Draft Central site have Davenport higher than Landry and by an average of 9 spots. Kiper has Davenport at 14 and Landry not even going in the first. Casserly has Davenport at 5 and Landry at 27. Matt Miller is the oinly one who has it close and he still has Davenport ahead at 16 and Landry at 17. Experts always get a bunch of picks wrong but it's interesting that there's evidently a pretty strong preference by them for Davenport over Landry but I don't think I've seen a single poster on this 49ers forum ranking them that way.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Are you saying Edmunds as a pass rusher?

Absolutely. Either a pass rushing Sam which is how a lot view him, but why not the edge? He'd be raw, given that he didn't do it in college, but you're talking about a dude who is 6'5,. 250 and 34 in arms. He's long. Edmunds as a pass rusher has been mentioned multiple times before. Also removes his biggest knock - instincts as a pure lb. The biggest question for such a move would be twitchiness and timing off the snap. I don't see why twitchiness would be an issue given his athleticism. Timing is coachable and can be improved with experience. Part of the appeal of Edmunds is that he has some versatility in what you want to do with him. 

4 hours ago, John232 said:

I could see him falling to late second and would be totally ok with him there. I think Ogobonnia(maybe), Sweat, Davenport and Hubbard will go before him. 

U left out Uchenna Nwosu from USC...who I like in the 2nd rd. I think he can play OLB/Edge role for us. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Absolutely. Either a pass rushing Sam which is how a lot view him, but why not the edge? He'd be raw, given that he didn't do it in college, but you're talking about a dude who is 6'5,. 250 and 34 in arms. He's long. Edmunds as a pass rusher has been mentioned multiple times before. Also removes his biggest knock - instincts as a pure lb. The biggest question for such a move would be twitchiness and timing off the snap. I don't see why twitchiness would be an issue given his athleticism. Timing is coachable and can be improved with experience. Part of the appeal of Edmunds is that he has some versatility in what you want to do with him. 

I agree with all of this. The reason I  probably prefer him to Smith is because I think he will probably make the better pass rusher,. I'm willing to risk losing a little on run plays for what he can bring on pass plays ... plus he's really young with not a lot of experience and will undoubtedly improve his run defense as he gets more experience.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

People here seem to be loving Landry more and more these past few days even as the "experts" seem to be preferring Davenport more and more. Kiper has Davenport 12 on his big board and Landry 25. Jeremiah's got the biggest difference I could find. He's got Davenport at 10 - making him not a reach at 9, and he's got Landry at 39. Four of the five guys having mocks at the NFL Draft Central site have Davenport higher than Landry and by an average of 9 spots. Kiper has Davenport at 14 and Landry not even going in the first. Casserly has Davenport at 5 and Landry at 27. Matt Miller is the oinly one who has it close and he still has Davenport ahead at 16 and Landry at 17. Experts always get a bunch of picks wrong but it's interesting that there's evidently a pretty strong preference by them for Davenport over Landry but I don't think I've seen a single poster on this 49ers forum ranking them that way.

I'd take Davenport over Landry. I think they both can succeed in the NFL though. 

49 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I agree with all of this. The reason I  probably prefer him to Smith is because I think he will probably make the better pass rusher,. I'm willing to risk losing a little on run plays for what he can bring on pass plays ... plus he's really young with not a lot of experience and will undoubtedly improve his run defense as he gets more experience.

Roquan is an excellent blitzer, tho...6.5 sacks last season. He's obviously not going to be a dedicated rushing SAM or LEO like I guess Edmunds could be, but Roquan definitely has some pass rushing ability.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I've wanted Landry for about two weeks now. I really haven't been following what Kiper/McShay have been saying, but interesting that all have Davenport ahead of Landry. Probably going off raw potential there. 

1 hour ago, sherm said:

U left out Uchenna Nwosu from USC...who I like in the 2nd rd. I think he can play OLB/Edge role for us. 

Yeah, he's in the conversation too. Like him a lot. I think I tried really hard to get him on the 49ers in my first mock. My issue is he is pretty bad against the run and not an amazing pass rusher. But good..but he's a legit liability in the run. 

Wow. Talk about timing. Path to the Draft just featured the 49ers. They gave us Davenport with the first pick.  We also got Austin Corbett, Holton Hill and Da'Shawn Hand. The first three would make a really nice draft. The last thing I think we need is another big guy on the d-line.  I don't know what they were even thinking with that pick. Give me a LB or a WR to go with those first three and I'm a happy camper.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've wanted Landry for about two weeks now. I really haven't been following what Kiper/McShay have been saying, but interesting that all have Davenport ahead of Landry. Probably going off raw potential there. 

I don't look at anyone's big board. I like mocks to get various ideas of where some guys might go. But I trust my own eyes. I'm not more or less wrong than anyone else. I hit a few. Miss some more. 

Same, but I look at stuff around this forum and other mocks just to get familiar with names and look into their tape. I don't watch nearly enough college football to know most of these guys. Only around draft time do I start paying close attention. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't look at anyone's big board. I like mocks to get various ideas of where some guys might go. But I trust my own eyes. I'm not more or less wrong than anyone else. I hit a few. Miss some more. 

Same philosophy Baalke used whenever he went against the consensus :D

... except you're probably right more often than he was.

Archived