2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

39 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I doubt 6 QBs in top 16 more likely 6 in the first round. I can see 4 top 10 then Lamar going to the Cardinals. Rudolph at the back end of the first.

I'm really hoping for 4 go in to  the top 8!  Although I still hold out some small hope that one will be there at 9 that someone wants badly enough to over-pay for in terms of the picks they offer up. If Buffalo moved up from 12 we would only miss out on two guys (picks 10 and 11) and could pick up maybe their second in addition to 12.  Seems a lot like last year's move back to get Thomas. 

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Was catching up on what "the Matts" have to say about the 49ers draft and found this just written from Matt Barrows about Davenport

"The 49ers not only attended his pro day, they virtually conducted it."

The link is here  www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article207275334.html

Didn't we do the same thing with Sweat? I think Zgonina was running the drills. I don't know how something happens. Are teams putting in requests, or is it more like an agent thing, asking various coaches. I know that in the case of Darnold and Josh Allen, their pro days were ran by Jordan Palmer, who is coaching them both during the draft process. I think that QBs in general have a lot more pinned on the technical aspects of their job, and they hire independent coaches to show they're trying to fix the flaws they could live with in college. It would make sense for pass rushers to do that as well, but I don't remember of college pass rushers hiring personal trainers to work with during the draft process and make them look good during their pro days. 

Anyways, I'm glad we're having an up close and personal look at these guys, some first hand impression on how they respond to coaching. I think it makes it pretty clear what our focus is in this draft. One of these guys will either cement his status as a viable option at 9 or 59, or will drop out of consideration. 

17 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Didn't we do the same thing with Sweat? I think Zgonina was running the drills

we worked him out independently of his pro day, I believe. 

Davenport is pretty the same as Landry for me. I don't love him, understand the appeal. I'd feel more comfortable with each after a trade down as opposed to number 9, but I get that trading down and drafting him is probably not feasible. 

This is a strange year for this forum. Usually there are two or three guys that most gravitate towards as a desired pick. We seem to be as all over the board as our potential pick could be.

Not a bad thing. Just an interesting observation.

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

Davenport is pretty the same as Landry for me. I don't love him, understand the appeal. I'd feel more comfortable with each after a trade down as opposed to number 9, but I get that trading down and drafting him is probably not feasible. 

The same. I like the enthusiasm that Davenport has on tape. There was a game against A&M last year, I think, where he just kept chasing plays down from behind. But I think that he's a bit overhyped as an athlete for the position because he fits the height profile. He's a very good athlete, but not the top 1-2% guy that folks are making him out to be, mostly because of change of direction skills. He could probably add another 10 pounds to his frame and look more like Bradley Chubb if you asked him to. That gives versatility. But right now, for the LEO position in our defense, I think Landry is ahead of him and has a similar ceiling. For us. If you like Davenport's character more, I can dig it. I prefer Landry's more proven history of production and more developed pass rush plan. I think both should be in the 12-20 range ideally, but the scarcity of good looking options behind them is going to push their stock up. If you don't get them you end up with a guy like Sweat with serious injury risk and even less production, Key with even more significant character concerns, or folks whose ceiling might be just a guy at the next level like Josh Holland. 

8 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is a strange year for this forum. Usually there are two or three guys that most gravitate towards as a desired pick. We seem to be as all over the board as our potential pick could be.

Not a bad thing. Just an interesting observation.

Definitely, I don't see a consensus this year like we have seen the prior three years. Not that most wanted Armstead, but he was the popular pick in mock drafts and ended up being the pick. 

Just now, JIllg said:

The same. I like the enthusiasm that Davenport has on tape. There was a game against A&M last year, I think, where he just kept chasing plays down from behind. But I think that he's a bit overhyped as an athlete for the position because he fits the height profile. He's a very good athlete, but not the top 1-2% guy that folks are making him out to be, mostly because of change of direction skills. He could probably add another 10 pounds to his frame and look more like Bradley Chubb if you asked him to. That gives versatility. But right now, for the LEO position in our defense, I think Landry is ahead of him and has a similar ceiling. For us. If you like Davenport's character more, I can dig it. I prefer Landry's more proven history of production and more developed pass rush plan. I think both should be in the 12-20 range ideally, but the scarcity of good looking options behind them is going to push their stock up. If you don't get them you end up with a guy like Sweat with serious injury risk and even less production, Key with even more significant character concerns, or folks whose ceiling might be just a guy at the next level like Josh Holland. 

I think Davenport lacks a little fluidity and I don't think that he moves laterally all that well.. He's certainly not the athlete that someone like Landry is. He needs a lot of work with regards to pass rushing technical skills - he has one move and no counter moves. He basically is going to punch / hit you as hard as he can, and if you can withstand it, he's done. In fairness though, it's a heavy punch. He has no technical prowess yet, so that's something that would have to be coached into him. No experience working from the line so far as I know - everything I saw of him as standing up as a rush backer. He's strong, quick burst, very raw, so there's a lot to like. He and landry are very close to me - just depends on which you prefer. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think Davenport lacks a little fluidity and I don't think that he moves laterally all that well.. He's certainly not the athlete that someone like Landry is. He needs a lot of work with regards to pass rushing technical skills - he has one move and no counter moves. He basically is going to punch / hit you as hard as he can, and if you can withstand it, he's done. In fairness though, it's a heavy punch. He has no technical prowess yet, so that's something that would have to be coached into him. No experience working from the line so far as I know - everything I saw of him as standing up as a rush backer. He's strong, quick burst, very raw, so there's a lot to like. He and landry are very close to me - just depends on which you prefer. 

Agreed. You stated my point more clearly, I think. Haven't seen the dude bend yet, either. But he does have a strong first punch using his really long arms. And he seems like a willing worker. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely, I don't see a consensus this year like we have seen the prior three years. Not that most wanted Armstead, but he was the popular pick in mock drafts and ended up being the pick. 

God I hated that Armstead pick lol. 

I think we may see a little more consensus as we get closer to the draft. I have slowly begun crossing off people I think we will target. Most recently, I think it is very unlikely we draft Ward, so I'm pulling him off our board. Nothing to support that, just my opinion. So far I'm zeroing in on - Landry / Davenport / Edmunds / Smith. I'm still debating guys like Minkah and James. I think we'd more likely be in on the latter than the former, but again, just opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think we may see a little more consensus as we get closer to the draft. I have slowly begun crossing off people I think we will target. Most recently, I think it is very unlikely we draft Ward, so I'm pulling him off our board. Nothing to support that, just my opinion. So far I'm zeroing in on - Landry / Davenport / Edmunds / Smith. I'm still debating guys like Minkah and James. I think we'd more likely be in on the latter than the former, but again, just opinion. 

James is interesting. I love his character about as much as I loved Jamal Adams last year. He tested extremely well - to the extent that you wonder if he can do more things for your defense than the box/curl-flat defender stuff he showed on tape. I think that he would be even better than Tartt at his position and I rate Tartt highly. But I have seen zero tape showing me that he can do the high safety/boundary corner stuff that some folks suggest and it would be a minor waste of his ferocity in the box. And replacing Tartt even on the last year of his rookie deal really doesn't seem like good value for the 9th pick. Absolutely love the player. Like the scheme fit. Like the value for the 9th pick fit. Don't like the roster situation fit. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

I hated the Armstead pick too, but I think after getting Buck  and after Armstead actually showed some flash as a 3-4 end, i was pretty excited to see what he could do even in O'neil's scheme..but since injuries and a move to the 4-3 AND drafting Thomas..just over it. 

In regards to the draft, like @y2lamanaki there seems to be a lack of consensus with us. But i'd say this also extends to the rest of the teams in the top 10. Usually a top 3 to top 5 is nailed down by now. And at this point, it's not even close imo. Outside of the Browns and Jets going QB, I can't say with any confidence what each team is going to do, and even less so with 5-9.  Seems like there is very little consensus among fans and pundits. 

Archived