2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

4 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

He might slide to the 2nd round, but I don't think there's any way he makes it to day three unless something comes up between now and the draft. I hope the FO stays away from Davenport in the 1st, but if he makes it back around to #59 and Landry wasn't the pick at #9, I'm all for it.

Honestly, I don't even think that there's a chance that he falls into round 2. 

4 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

He might slide to the 2nd round, but I don't think there's any way he makes it to day three unless something comes up between now and the draft. I hope the FO stays away from Davenport in the 1st, but if he makes it back around to #59 and Landry wasn't the pick at #9, I'm all for it.

3rd? 2nd? Really? He's way more likely to go top 15 than drop to the second. Pass rushers are just too valuable to expect the one of the best ones in the draft to last till the second round. 

Not a fan of Davenport or even Landry as a top 10, but yeah, can't see either falling out of the 1st.  They look pretty good, though unspectacular.. so I wouldn't be upset if they hear their name called at 9.

I'm hoping for a trade back option, really. All the more so, if Nelson and Chubb are gone, as expected. 

Call it stubborn hope, but I am not as certain that Nelson is off the board at 9. I can't think of many pure OGs that are selected top 10. Just googled something of it, and came up with this...

The last guard to be taken in that range was Jonathan Cooper, whom the Arizona Cardinals drafted No. 7 overall in 2013 (Chance Warmack also went No. 10 to the Tennessee Titans in the same year). And not since 2001, when the Cardinals selected Leonard Davis at No. 2, has a player at the position gone in the top five. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/03/01/quenton-nelson-offensive-guard-nfl-draft-2018/387115002/

So, with an expected 4 QBs selected in the first several picks... we can likely feel sure to add Chubb and Barkley to make a total of 6 spots filled before us. (see what I did with the math thing? I'm awesome)

So that leaves 2 spots before we pick at 9 (oh, I'm on a roll), and options like Ward, Edmonds, Fitzpatrick, and James... and then even other darkhorse possibilities... like someone trading up with or before us  for a Lamar Jackson, Davenport, Landry, Vea. Miami sits at 11 and some team in the top 15 like Buff or AZ may want to make sure to get their QB before they can blink. 

No, I'm holding some hope for Nelson.. and there really are no likely top prospects that would make me sad to trade back from. So couple that with my fading draft ego, @y2lamanaki... and I'm not pounding the table for or against anyone. Rather just sit back, and be breezy with all of these things that are out of my control anyway. :P 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2018/futures-minkah-fitzpatrick

Confirms a lot of what I saw in the limited game film I had on YouTube (and casual observation as an Auburn and SEC fan). I would hope if we draft him, we'd use his flexibility in the same way. Keep a guy like K'Waun in the slot as the 5th db against teams with a tendancy to use Trent Taylor and other quick change of direction guys there in nickel with Fitz as the high safety. If a team wants to bully your slot defender with a guy like Larry Fitzgerald, well, they get Colbert as the 5th db playing high while Fitzpatrick takes the nickel instead. Other players just need to master one skill that they are good at because he can handle the rest. Keep him around in case Tartt can't prove healthy for a whole season and next year, he's the box safety if you need him to be. A little on the small side, but he still does that job very well. He can handle whatever information you can throw at him. I want that sort of person on my football team. If my DC can't find a way to use him properly, I get a new DC.

2 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/source-49ers-host-tall-wide-receiver-pre-draft-visit?amp&__twitter_impression=true

We'll host WR Auden Tate for a pre draft visit, tall but quite slow receiver, not a big fan personally.

It depends on when we would draft him. He's definitely not a third round type guy any more after timing as slow as he did at the combine paired with how slow he looks on tape. If you're talking a late 5/6 rounder, I have no issues with it. I think in our TCMD, he went in round 6. 

I'm trying to figure out my power rankings of who I would want at #9 (regardless of whether or not I think that they are actually there). Man, it's tough. I know #1 is still Nelson, I've been driving that bus so long I'm not getting off until after the draft, but after that, it's kind of a crapshoot...

My power rankings change pretty often and I don't even remember what I put a few days ago lol. But it's around this:

1. Landry

2. Ward

3. Smith

4. Fitzpatrick/James

5. James/Fitzpatrick

6. Wynn

7. Oliver

8. Edmunds

Speaking of Wynn, we could trade Brown for a 1st or 2nd to the Pats and draft Wynn and plug him at RT right? He may not have the size you are looking for in a RT, but he was a damn good pass protector last year and could potentially by one in the NFL. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Let me ask this hypothetical, if a WR as good as Beckham was in this draft and available at #9, would he be your #1 choice? Or still Nelson? 

That's a question with some layering - are you asking about OBJ himself (essentially, would I trade OBJ for #9), or if there was a prospect similar to OBJ coming out? Honestly, I will say that I don't put a huge priority on receivers, so if there were a comparable prospect to OBJ, the answer would still be Nelson and I wouldn't think twice about it. If you're asking if I would trade #9 for OBJ, I'm open to it. I think that there are other positions that could use a bigger upgrade that don't require 20 million a season, but at the same time, OBJ is a known, quantified superstar. If you're lucky, there are what, 3 guys like that in this draft on any given year? Of course, Nelson is a guy that I feel could be comparable to that (obviously no guard will ever be a "super star", but I'm largely talking level of play). 

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My power rankings change pretty often and I don't even remember what I put a few days ago lol. But it's around this:

1. Landry

2. Ward

3. Smith

4. Fitzpatrick/James

5. James/Fitzpatrick

6. Wynn

7. Oliver

8. Edmunds

Speaking of Wynn, we could trade Brown for a 1st or 2nd to the Pats and draft Wynn and plug him at RT right? He may not have the size you are looking for in a RT, but he was a damn good pass protector last year and could potentially by one in the NFL. 

He's got a short stocky body for a tackle so I definitely don't love the body fit, but weirdly, he does have longer arms than Connor Williams and everyone but me seems to think that dude is a tackle lol. I think the ZBS scheme would help a little with Wynn at tackle. But honestly, I'd also be fine throwing Gilliam at tackle and getting Wynn inside. I have no faith in any of the guards we have on the roster (well, weirdly I think we have a good baseline with Tomlinson...he's going to be fine in my opinion). 

I would go Beckham "and i wouldn't think twice about it" lol. Well, I lied, I would think about it but still think I'll go with Beckham. Shanny loves himself a good C and then just decent guard play and he will be happy. 

But the hypothetical was a WR coming out as good as Beckham, not Beckham himself. 

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Not a fan of Davenport or even Landry as a top 10, but yeah, can't see either falling out of the 1st.  They look pretty good, though unspectacular.. so I wouldn't be upset if they hear their name called at 9.

I'm hoping for a trade back option, really. All the more so, if Nelson and Chubb are gone, as expected. 

Call it stubborn hope, but I am not as certain that Nelson is off the board at 9. I can't think of many pure OGs that are selected top 10. Just googled something of it, and came up with this...

So, with an expected 4 QBs selected in the first several picks... we can likely feel sure to add Chubb and Barkley to make a total of 6 spots filled before us. (see what I did with the math thing? I'm awesome)

So that leaves 2 spots before we pick at 9 (oh, I'm on a roll), and options like Ward, Edmonds, Fitzpatrick, and James... and then even other darkhorse possibilities... like someone trading up with or before us  for a Lamar Jackson, Davenport, Landry, Vea. Miami sits at 11 and some team in the top 15 like Buff or AZ may want to make sure to get their QB before they can blink. 

No, I'm holding some hope for Nelson.. and there really are no likely top prospects that would make me sad to trade back from. So couple that with my fading draft ego, @y2lamanaki... and I'm not pounding the table for or against anyone. Rather just sit back, and be breezy with all of these things that are out of my control anyway. :P 

I think this is exactly right on.

Archived