2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting take here. I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm usually inclined to believe Justo to some extent. But this could explain the slow get off. 

Yeah, I watched one or two games worth of snaps on Mr. Sweat when I did my mock and he really does get played every where, even saw him playing snaps as a MIKE.  That's why I sort of had him projected as a SAM with LEO upside. He's often used to just be strong at the point of attack and set the edge. Both of which he does a pretty consistently solid job of. His speed on chasing plays from the backside is pretty strong too. Can really see his athleticism on chasing down plays. That said, he really doesn't have much of a pass-rush skill set (outside of raw athleticism) , and one thing that seemed inconsistent was his get off. Doesn't flash his combine numbers on tape, but he's not looking like a slouch either physically. 

He's super intriguing if we get him, lot of projecting though. 

I want Genard Avery... LB... from Memphis.. on this team to be our SAM. 

6' 1"

248 lbs.

Ran a 4.59. 26 reps. 10' 4" bjump

He started all 13 games for the Tigers in 2017, garnering first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors with 80 tackles, 22 for loss (which ranked in the top ten of the FBS), 8.5 sacks, two pass breakups, and two forced fumbles.

He started all 13 games as a junior, as well, leading his team with 11 tackles for loss (81 total) and five sacks, while forcing two fumbles and returning both of his interceptions for touchdowns.

Avery started seven of 11 games played in 2015, making 53 tackles, 6.5 for loss, and three sacks. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/genard-avery?id=32462018-0002-5601-28e1-e2b71a3881c8

Image result for yes gif funny

3 hours ago, sherm said:

I have us drafting Avery in my unfinished mock. I like him as a ILB/Edge guy for us. He definitely seems like a day 3 gem.

I remember when Haason Reddick was looking like a day 3 gem early on last year, and ended up 13 overall. Hopefully he's day 3 gem that remains a day 3 gem.

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

After the DJ's mock and our visit with Davenport...I'm starting to wonder if we pick him at 9. not a fan at all. 

Too early for me still. He's a realistic option, I will admit, but I still have 5/6 guys I think are realistic. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Too early for me still. He's a realistic option, I will admit, but I still have 5/6 guys I think are realistic. 

Yeah, there's at least 6 guys I could see us going with at 9. I just balk at the notion of going with such a high boom or bust guy in Davenport. 

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if we'll even draft a receiver. I get the feeling Shanahan is pretty set on the current group heading into next season. 

So it will be Goodwin, Garcon, Bourne, Taylor, and I'm guessing we have two more spots. One for a veteran like Robinson, Bolden Jr, or Murphy if they make the team. Don't see Max McCaffrey making it. So that leaves one spot for a rookie. Probably a special teams contributor. Still think we need a good kick returner. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if we'll even draft a receiver. I get the feeling Shanahan is pretty set on the current group heading into next season. 

So it will be Goodwin, Garcon, Bourne, Taylor, and I'm guessing we have two more spots. One for a veteran like Robinson, Bolden Jr, or Murphy if they make the team. Don't see Max McCaffrey making it. So that leaves one spot for a rookie. Probably a special teams contributor. Still think we need a good kick returner. 

I think we will draft one. I don't think Murphy is under contract, is he? Bolden is a UDFA and couldn't keep Bourne from taking his spot last year, so I think there will be fight there. He'll have his chances. Honestly, I don't even know why Robinson (or Beadles, but that's another matter) are still on the roster. I'd much rather draft a developmental guy to work with than keep Robinson around again. 

11 hours ago, John232 said:

After the DJ's mock and our visit with Davenport...I'm starting to wonder if we pick him at 9. not a fan at all. 

I think we simply HAVE to have a visit with anyone who can realistically be taken around 9, even if it's just a smokescreen. Maybe it leads to a trade, maybe it leads to successfully hiding our true intentions. So, we must have a visit with Davenport, whether we're interested in drafting him or not. So.. who knows who the staff wants?

Apparently we worked out Isaiah Oliver recently in Colorado. He won't be there in the second, and he's not worth #9...bit of no man's land for us. We either trade down or trade up to get him.

We also used one of our 30 official visits on Denzel Ward yesterday. First time we have touched base with him the entire off season I believe. I'm glad we are doing our due diligence there. I still don't think he's the pick, but I like that we are at least going through the motions there. Lorenzo Carter also visited yesterday along with Ward. 

We have used 8 of the "official 30" visits per Barrows. Here is the list

1. Denzel Ward
  2. Lorenzo Carter
  3. James Daniels
  4. Byron Pringle (KSU WR that I have absolutely no interest in and generally regard as undraftable) 
  5. Foye Oluokon (LB from Yale)
  6. Roquan  (I don't think that this has actually taken place, but Smith told reporters at his pro day that he had a visit lined up with the niners)
  7. Auden Tate (WR FSU)
  8. Minkah

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Seems like Mason Rudolph is getting some push as a first round pick...we could theoretically see 6 go in the first round

I always thought he was going in the first round. I think there is some momentum on Lamar Jackson heading that direction as well.

We shall see which one NE ends up with, if they go the QB route.

Archived