2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

James could probably make that change, but I wouldn't burn a top 10 pick to rigidly lock him in as a CB. Takes years to absorb all the nuances. Top 10 is a risky investment for such a positional change. If we were a straight 43D with massive DL to keep him clean? I'd give him the chance as more of a range ILB to sift/clean up tackle or cover TE/RBs...

... but top 10 CB conversion? eh...

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

According to Barrows, we are one of the teams most interested in Key. I guess the team isn't shying away from potential character risks. Then again, being interested and pulling the trigger are two different things. 

I think this is a case of covering all bases just in case said prospect falls a rd or 2 lower than expected. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

According to Barrows, we are one of the teams most interested in Key. I guess the team isn't shying away from potential character risks. Then again, being interested and pulling the trigger are two different things. 

We're probably "interested in" every pass rusher in the draft.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, this team honestly doesn't really seem to care about character concerns on the surface. Obviously they are evaluated on a case by case basis, but we aren't just pulling people off the board due to character red flags. 

Key was also added to the list of pre draft official visits, bringing the tally up to 10

Charlie Campbell says that he's hearing we "love" Minkah. I feel like we are going to be hearing a lot of this stuff the next few weeks LOL. This is when the silly season really gets going. Though I'd have no issues with Minkah. 

Definitely, but us loving Minkah is probably the least surprising thing we will hear. Dude is a pure football player as Frankie G would say and is versatile as it gets. I'm guessing this is Lynch's personal favorite lol. 

Going with Minkah or Derwin is not an awful route. I just happen to believe in Tartt and Colbert. But given the versatility of James, Tartt, and Minkah, all 3 will probably be able to get on the field in some way shape or form. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Charlie Campbell says that he's hearing we "love" Minkah. I feel like we are going to be hearing a lot of this stuff the next few weeks LOL. This is when the silly season really gets going. Though I'd have no issues with Minkah. 

Being "into" Minkah is also a smart stance to take if you're looking to move off the pick.

1 hour ago, dan77733 said:

Any WR worth taking at #9 or not even close?

No, definitely not. Even if there were, meh...I'd probably want to go elsewhere anyway. I just don't think the receiver group is that bad. It's not great, but they all have their roles, and it's a deep group when you add in the like of McKinnon and Juice. 

I’m not sold on Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward – due to his size and lack of physicality – being a fit for this defensive system. 

Boston College pass-rusher Harold Landry is an intriguing player whom the 49ers like more as they watch more of him.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/how-qbs-could-impact-49ers-draft-strategy

Hold up, Ward's lack of physicality? Whaaat? Has Maiocco even watched Ward play? Seems like dude is getting knocked for not being a taller/bigger corner. Smh.

But not surprising about Landry. You watch his 2016 film and you definitely like him more than this season when he was playing hurt. 

Okay guys. I didn't know which is why I asked. Is DL the favorite at #9 because while I haven't watched in two years, don't the 49ers have three first rounders on the DL? Or has that changed? I'm assuming that's changed but at the same time, that sounds disappointing.

Thanks for the info guys.

4 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Okay guys. I didn't know which is why I asked. Is DL the favorite at #9 because while I haven't watched in two years, don't the 49ers have three first rounders on the DL? Or has that changed? I'm assuming that's changed but at the same time, that sounds disappointing.

Thanks for the info guys.

Secondary and an edge would appear to be the favorites, though I wouldn't rule out a linebacker. While we have gone defensive line 3 years in a row, none of them are edge rushers in this scheme (well, Thomas will play the big end this year on early downs, I think, but that's not quite the same thing) 

Archived