2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

23 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Okay guys. I didn't know which is why I asked. Is DL the favorite at #9 because while I haven't watched in two years, don't the 49ers have three first rounders on the DL? Or has that changed? I'm assuming that's changed but at the same time, that sounds disappointing.

Thanks for the info guys.

Welcome back my man, was just thinking of you last week lol.

They do have three first rounders on the DL, but none of those guys are edge rushers. And looks like Armstead may be the odd man out in the starting line up. 

As Forge said, biggest needs are at the edge/secondary and interior OL. 

Seems like we REALLY like Fitzpatrick as he is supposed to meet with the team today and tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Seems like we REALLY like Fitzpatrick as he is supposed to meet with the team today and tomorrow. 

Seems like that may be legit. So he plays FS for us, right? Ward moves down to corner in the slot and outside, we stick Minkah at FS, maybe slide in Colbert and Minkah on passing downs with Tartt moving to the moneybacker position? 

That's what I'm thinking, but I see them using Fitzpatrick all over. Wouldn't be surprised if he is used to cover opposing TEs or even play the slot at times. If we were to play say the Pats or Chiefs, I'd imagine he would be the one covering Gronk/Kelce. 

Eric Crocker (Thanks @John232) wrote a nice article on Fitzpatrick and showed his versatility all around the field. Derwin James is pretty similar with more size/thump. 

The thing about Fitzpatrick is that he's truly excellent at playing his position, which is close to the line of scrimmage, be it as a strong side safety or a nickel back. It could be that they draft him and the guy he takes the most snaps from is K'Waun Williams.  It's not exactly a great strength of the team, so there is an argument that he makes the team quite a bit better immediately, and Minkah is a very safe prospect, high character, unlikely to bust.

The other question I have is: can you turn Minkah into a Will linebacker on first down...keep him on the field for all the snaps without bumping Tartt? He gets off of/avoids blocks extremely well, and is very good at getting into the backfield.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

The thing about Fitzpatrick is that he's truly excellent at playing his position, which is close to the line of scrimmage, be it as a strong side safety or a nickel back. It could be that they draft him and the guy he takes the most snaps from is K'Waun Williams.  It's not exactly a great strength of the team, so there is an argument that he makes the team quite a bit better immediately, and Minkah is a very safe prospect, high character, unlikely to bust.

The other question I have is: can you turn Minkah into a Will linebacker on first down...keep him on the field for all the snaps without bumping Tartt? He gets off of/avoids blocks extremely well, and is very good at getting into the backfield.

He won't bump Tartt. I'm reasonably sure that he would play FS for us, not SS. He would likely bump Colbert. You probably wouldn't want to play him at WILL on early downs - I think that could cause some issues in run defense, but stranger things have happened. I could see him shifting back and forth between the slot and FS, then on passing downs, we move Tartt down to the moneybacker position, play Colbert and Minkah in the back end for the range. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He won't bump Tartt. I'm reasonably sure that he would play FS for us, not SS. He would likely bump Colbert. You probably wouldn't want to play him at WILL early on - I think that could cause some issues in run defense, but stranger things have happened. I could see him shifting back and forth between the slot and FS, then on passing downs, we move Tartt down to the moneybacker position, play Colbert and Minkah in the back end for the range. 

I think Minkah is a bigger honey badger. If you're drafting him to be an over the top FS, it's a waste. Also, Colbert is a more valuable asset than Tartt. The team has Colbert on a very cheap deal for three more years, while Tartt is an impending free agent. The "moneyball" aspect of drafting may come into play here, as well. The team is not committed to Tartt long-term.

Because Colbert's contract could offer so much value, I think you have to play him and find out exactly what you've got.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's what I'm thinking, but I see them using Fitzpatrick all over. Wouldn't be surprised if he is used to cover opposing TEs or even play the slot at times. If we were to play say the Pats or Chiefs, I'd imagine he would be the one covering Gronk/Kelce. 

Eric Crocker (Thanks @John232) wrote a nice article on Fitzpatrick and showed his versatility all around the field. Derwin James is pretty similar with more size/thump. 

I'll have to check that out.

And yeah, I really see Minkah as being a base down FS, third down Nickel and rotating Colbert in and out. We might also see Minkah at SS and Tartt at FS on certain packages.

Regardless, not a huge fan of picking Minkah, but really like the player and would totally get picking him or Derwin at 9. 

4 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I think Minkah is a bigger honey badger. If you're drafting him to be an over the top FS, it's a waste. Also, Colbert is a more valuable asset than Tartt. The team has Colbert on a very cheap deal for three more years, while Tartt is an impending free agent. In the "moneyball" aspect of drafting may come into play here, as well. The team is not committed to Tartt long-term.

By all reports, the team loves Tartt. I'd be very surprised if an extension isn't done at some point. Could be wrong, but the reports are that the FO loves him. The team may not be as high on Colbert as this forum is, which wouldn't be surprising. 6 Interceptions 2 years ago while filling in for Jackson shows some rangy ballhawking skills that you would probably rather utilize as a centerfielder type. But it can vary. Minkah would allow you to change it up on various sub packages and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to utilize the three safety look a lot, which is what I was talking about earlier. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

By all reports, the team loves Tartt. I'd be very surprised if an extension isn't done at some point. Could be wrong, but the reports are that the FO loves him. The team may not be as high on Colbert as this forum is, which wouldn't be surprising. 6 Interceptions 2 years ago while filling in for Jackson shows some rangy ballhawking skills that you would probably rather utilize as a centerfielder type. But it can vary. Minkah would allow you to change it up on various sub packages and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to utilize the three safety look a lot, which is what I was talking about earlier. 

I hope they hang on to Tartt. I like Tartt, too, and that's one big reason why I don't want the 49ers to draft a safety in the 1st. Colbert played very well down the stretch. I think he deserves a shot as an every-down player. Minkah would be great in a three safety look, tho.

Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I hope they hang on to Tartt. I like Tartt, too, and that's one big reason why I don't want the 49ers to draft a safety in the 1st. Colbert played very well down the stretch. I think he deserves a shot as an every-down player. Minkah would be great in a three safety look, tho.

The three safety look is what I'm hoping for. That's only thing that gives me a seconds pause with Minkah - how the deployment works. But you can make a case that he's what, a top 6/7 player in this draft depending on how you feel about the quarterbacks, so the value is solid, and while I'd argue that he's not as big of a need as a true pass rusher is, the secondary could still use some depth and improvement, so there's some merit there, particularly if you're much higher on him than you are the eligible pass rushers. A secondary of Sherman / Spook / Ward and Williams, along with Minkah / Colbert / Tartt, and suddenly that back end looks pretty okay with some really, really nice upside. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Talking about seeing him all over I just read an article this morning about guys who will surprise people by "dropping". Minkah was one of the guys they talked about and suggested he won't be a top 10 pick and could fall to the mid teens like Hooker did last year.  I like Minkah, but I liked Hooker more last year and he didn't end up going till 15.

52 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Talking about seeing him all over I just read an article this morning about guys who will surprise people by "dropping". Minkah was one of the guys they talked about and suggested he won't be a top 10 pick and could fall to the mid teens like Hooker did last year.  I like Minkah, but I liked Hooker more last year and he didn't end up going till 15.

You liked hooker more? As a complete player, I like Minkah quite a bit more than I did Hooker, and I was a Hooker fan...not to mention an OSU fan. 

Archived