2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Not sure what you mean by "complete player".  Strictly playing an Earl Thomas role, which I think is exactly what our defense wants omeone to do, I did like him more. Minkah is a lot more versatile. But I'm not always interested in his versatility. Sometimes I want a guy to play one role and do it at the highest level.  That's what I want from a deep safety. There are a lot of ways a guy like that can help a defense but having the range to roam sideline to sideline and take away opposing big plays is what I want most. After that add in ball skills.,  As much as people talk about turnovers, I still think they undervalue them. More than one in a game and it greatly skews the win/loss percentage. So a guy that who can not just prevent deep passes, but turn them into turnovers is "gold" as far as I'm concerned.  I could be wrong, but I don't see tha in Minkah. In fact, I think his best role might be nickel corner.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Not sure what you mean by "complete player".  Strictly playing an Earl Thomas role, which I think is exactly what our defense wants omeone to do, I did like him more. Minkah is a lot more versatile. But I'm not always interested in his versatility. Sometimes I want a guy to play one role and do it at the highest level.  That's what I want from a deep safety. There are a lot of ways a guy like that can help a defense but having the range to roam sideline to sideline and take away opposing big plays is what I want most. After that add in ball skills.,  As much as people talk about turnovers, I still think they undervalue them. More than one in a game and it greatly skews the win/loss percentage. So a guy that who can not just prevent deep passes, but turn them into turnovers is "gold" as far as I'm concerned.  I could be wrong, but I don't see tha in Minkah. In fact, I think his best role might be nickel corner.

Complete player, as in well rounded. Minkah doesn't have the range Hooker has, because who does? But there's ballhawking in Minkah for sure, particularly in the safety role. I'd advise go back and watch him in 2016 when he subbed in for Eddie Jackson. I don't know that the ball skills are quite as good, but I don't know that they are far off either. Plus, he does pretty much everything else considerably better than Hooker. 

Hercules Mata'afa is the intriguing football player without a fit that I just can't disregard for some reason this off-season. Exciting film on top of the mid round projected value! He's like a wolverine among the bears that defies the prototypical attributes "required" of a position but still produces incredibly well. This kid just screams special but where besides special teams? 

18 minutes ago, Psychlone said:

Hercules Mata'afa is the intriguing football player without a fit that I just can't disregard for some reason this off-season. Exciting film on top of the mid round projected value! He's like a wolverine among the bears that defies the prototypical attributes "required" of a position but still produces incredibly well. This kid just screams special but where besides special teams? 

He's pretty much like Solomon Thomas coming out. But weighs less and will probably play more edge in the NFL. 

23 hours ago, Forge said:

Secondary and an edge would appear to be the favorites, though I wouldn't rule out a linebacker. While we have gone defensive line 3 years in a row, none of them are edge rushers in this scheme (well, Thomas will play the big end this year on early downs, I think, but that's not quite the same thing) 

Defense is still playing a 3-4 hybrid?

23 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Welcome back my man, was just thinking of you last week lol.

They do have three first rounders on the DL, but none of those guys are edge rushers. And looks like Armstead may be the odd man out in the starting line up. 

As Forge said, biggest needs are at the edge/secondary and interior OL. 

Seems like we REALLY like Fitzpatrick as he is supposed to meet with the team today and tomorrow. 

Hahaha. Thanks bud.

Isn't Armstead like 23 or something? It's a shame that the team has three first rounders on the DL but yet they all don't fit. That's a shame.

Is Fitzpatrick an edge rusher? I would think that out of OG, DB and pass rushers that edge rusher would be most important.

2 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Defense is still playing a 3-4 hybrid?

4-3 Under. Basically a 4-3 using 3-4 personnel scheme. 

3 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Isn't Armstead like 23 or something? It's a shame that the team has three first rounders on the DL but yet they all don't fit. That's a shame.

Is Fitzpatrick an edge rusher? I would think that out of OG, DB and pass rushers that edge rusher would be most important.

Yeah, Armstead is still super young. Just a poor fit right now. I don't know that we give him another chance on the edge. I suppose it's possible, but clearly the team is acknowledging that they don't think that he's got a future there by moving Harold to Leo, signing Senor Sneezy, and potentially taking another pass rusher. He could be traded if we can get value I woudl assume, or he may step into a rotational role. Maybe we rotate him with Thomas at the big end spot, or use him to spell Buckner at the UT position. Unsure what Armstead's physique looks like right now, so either one may not be an option. 

Fitzpatrick is a DB - safety / corner hybrid. I think we would largely be looking at him as a safety with versatility to come down and play the corner spot, particularly in the slot. But personally, I think we would be looking at him first and foremost as our free safety. 

Kiper's three round mock draft has us picking:

Round 1 (9): Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Round 2 (59): Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
Round 3 (70): Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
Round 3 (74): Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn

Wow, I would LOVE that draft. Huge fan of both of Smith/Oliver, and Pettis is a baller while Johnson may be the sleeper RB of the draft. 

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wow, I would LOVE that draft. Huge fan of both of Smith/Oliver, and Pettis is a baller while Johnson may be the sleeper RB of the draft. 

I'd be happy with it. Not sure if Isiah Oliver will make it to pick 59. I think he gets picked early second.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I would love this too. I mean, it wont happen, but I would love it. 

7 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'd be happy with it. Not sure if Isiah Oliver will make it to pick 59. I think he gets picked early second.

I would be happy with it too. I just feel it's unlikely. I don't know really about Oliver's chances to drop to 59, but it wouldn't be that surprising. Just account for all the reaches that usually happen, and then if Oliver doesn't align directly with teams needs, he could slip. There might be a run on a certain position, and teams trading up to get theirs, and when that happens, the draft boards are stretched a little, and who used to be 40 can end up 50. Who knows, maybe we see him within reach and package a few picks to move up.

Pettis is a good talent, and would help us in the kick return game, but I don't know where he fits in the receiving corp. But he might be worth it for his returns alone. I don't know. With McKinnon and Breida (and I guess Williams), I'm not sure we'd go for a guy like Johnson in the third. I really like him. He's Leveon Bell-lite. I would be very happy with him, and I think he might win the starting job sooner rather than later. But I'm not sure that's the direction the FO will go.

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

:x

Oh, what a draft haul that would be! Still no edge rusher, so I doubt it goes quite like that...and Oliver could go much earlier.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Forget it, time to draft Key/Callaway and any other talented prospect with off the field issues. Lets turn into the Bengals and see what happens lol. 

I remember last year, under the new FO, how people were positive that we would only take high character guys. I feel like there were quite a few people who were adamant that we wouldn't take character risk guys, especially after cutting Brock. I'm not going to say that we obviously don't care, but clearly we aren't a "you are off our board team" either. Seems we have plenty of risk appetite for character risk guys. 

And really you kind of need to have some to win in this league lol. It comes down to how you manage them and if you could keep their head on straight. Rams certainly don't give a damn about any character risk guys and just want to accumulate as much talent as they possibly can. 

It's funny, one article talks about how Lynch loves Fitzpatrick because of his high character and leadership skills and then we go on and supposedly love Key as well LOL. 

Archived