2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

I can't ever remember a year when I didn't have a favorite guy I wanted us to draft, or maybe a couple. Also hard to remember years when there were guys mentioned for us that I really didn't wantt. Neither of those is the case this year. I'd be fine if we took Smith or Edmunds. I'd be fine if we took Ward, or Minakh or James. I'd even be fine if we reached a bit and took Landry or Davenport. I don't even have a favorite from that entire group. I guess I hope Nelson falls. After that I just don't know.

I've seen a few mocks lately that have Rosen dropping out of the top 10. I think that's crazy. He's a really high potential QB. In any case do you guys think that if he's still there at 9 that we could drum up a bidding war between Miami and Buffalo (assuming neither has already moved up)? In that kind of scenario what do you think we could get? I'm thinking pick 11 or 12 plus a corresponding 2nd, or maybe even next year's second would be a reasonable price for a team that wants to move up to get Rosen. My fantasy would be 11 or 12 this year and a future first.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

I can't ever remember a year when I didn't have a favorite guy I wanted us to draft, or maybe a couple. Also hard to remember years when there were guys mentioned for us that I really didn't wantt. Neither of those is the case this year. I'd be fine if we took Smith or Edmunds. I'd be fine if we took Ward, or Minakh or James. I'd even be fine if we reached a bit and took Landry or Davenport. I don't even have a favorite from that entire group. I guess I hope Nelson falls. After that I just don't know.

I'm with you. I don't really object to anyone at this point. And even if I'm not personally currently excited by several of these prospects, I feel like we're about to get a big time player anyway. So I'm cool.

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

I'm with you. I don't really object to anyone at this point. And even if I'm not personally currently excited by several of these prospects, I feel like we're about to get a big time player anyway. So I'm cool.

Me three. I think this new sense of not feeling like every pick is going to bust is a part of it. Also having a QB is a big part of it too. Drafts are a lot more fun when you''re not gambling on a QB. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

It's funny to see this cuz I've been thinking we could trade up in the 2nd rd or the back end of 1st rd. My guess would be for an OT. Late 1st rd could be a trade with NE since they already have a 1st rd pick from the Cooks trade...or early 2nd rd with Clev since they have 2 of the top 3 picks. None of these OT seem to a lock for the 1st rd. Williams, McGlinchey, Miller and even Crosby could be an option. If we stay put O'Neill would be option @ pick 59. 

**same could be said for CB position in the 2nd rd...I. Oliver or C. Davis

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I'm ok with a number of players @ 9. Though I really want us to draft Derwin James if he's available. 

I know he's not a guy we have talked about because he's essentially a Trent Taylor clone, but where do you think braxton berrios will be drafted? 

Perfect fit for a west coast offense. He seemed like a natural leader, you could tell guys deferred to him just by their body language. 

With the Foster news I'm guessing our pick is likely to be LB. I had already kind of decided it would come down to LB or S (given that both Ward and Tartt are in their final contract years). I think this news tips the scales in terms of LB. Do you guys prefer Smith or Edmunds? I

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

With the Foster news I'm guessing our pick is likely to be LB. I had already kind of decided it would come down to LB or S (given that both Ward and Tartt are in their final contract years). I think this news tips the scales in terms of LB. Do you guys prefer Smith or Edmunds? I

I would prefer Smith in this situation.

I like Smith MUCH more for the MIKE role. Much better instincts, and much more likely to competently start right away. 

Edmunds has more positional versatility, but I'd go Roquan now that the MIKE is far more of a glaring hole, after this news.  

23 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I like Smith MUCH more for the MIKE role. Much better instincts, and much more likely to competently start right away. 

Edmunds has more positional versatility, but I'd go Roquan now that the MIKE is far more of a glaring hole, after this news.  

I agree with this line of thinking.

28 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I'm in line with this thinking as well now with the Foster situation. Before I had Edmunds a little higher on my wish list because of the versatility and the chance that maybe, just maybe, you can get him into an edge role. 

But now we very clearly need a linebacker...as much as I liked the Toomer signing, I don't think he should be starting if you can help it. So Roquan is definitely going to be one of the guys at the top of my list. If we happen to bypass Smith at the top, then I hope we look at Josey Jewell in round 3 or there abouts. Great instincts for the Mike role, and while he's not fast, his head keeps him around the ball and his IQ keeps him solid in a zone based coverage scheme, so I think he'd be a solid fit. 

Archived