2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Don't think the Foster news changes all that much in terms of what we do. With Baalke you knew he would target the biggest need in the first round and usually drafted more for need than just talent.

What we do now is make sure we have at least a adequate starter at every spot before we go in the draft and with Coyle/Toomer i think we have guys that while not ideal could start as 2 down linebackers. 

42 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

With the Foster news I'm guessing our pick is likely to be LB. I had already kind of decided it would come down to LB or S (given that both Ward and Tartt are in their final contract years). I think this news tips the scales in terms of LB. Do you guys prefer Smith or Edmunds? I

I don't agree with this line of thinking. The Foster news really shouldn't have been surprising to the Lynch and the crew because they obviously knew all of the details and potential outcomes prior to the charges. If the Foster news changes our plans then we severely mishandled the whole Foster situation.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

as much as I liked the Toomer signing, I don't think he should be starting if you can help it

Don't worry, bud... we also have Brock Coyle.

It could be interesting to go with Edmunds in the first still, and another MLB later on. Just imagine how good our front 7 could be, if Malcolm Smith returns to his seahawks form, and Sneeze provides an improvement on last year's Leo disaster. Add a ballhawking secondary, and we'll be ready for business. 

Before, I was hesitating on Smith, because he felt a bit redundant. Now... let's go load up on talented LBs. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know, according to Kawakami they didn't expect him to get charged. 

If they were surprised by it, that's one thing. But if they weren't anticipating the worst case scenario and how that would impact their plans then they mishandled the situation.

1 minute ago, Uncle_Rico said:

If they were surprised by it, that's one thing. But if they weren't anticipating the worst case scenario and how that would impact their plans then they mishandled the situation.

I'm sure there were several plans. Plan A with Reuben, plan B without. Just like there was a Plan A prior to october 31st that included a top 2 QB. Plans change, and I'm sure they try to anticipate all sorts of scenarios. They probably had plans including some free agents who turned out not to be available. If lowly bumbling morons (speaking for myself) like us can have multiple plans, then these guys probably have plans for things we don't even foresee. They probably have plans for the after Trent Brown, or even the after Staley, that we don't even bother to consider. I wouldn't even be surprised if they already have files on QBs who will be available in the next few years in case Jimmy flops. My godson will be in his draft year in 2038, if anyone is working on future QBs. There's a decent chance he'll be a lefty.

46 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I like Smith MUCH more for the MIKE role. Much better instincts, and much more likely to competently start right away. 

Edmunds has more positional versatility, but I'd go Roquan now that the MIKE is far more of a glaring hole, after this news.  

This what I'm kind of thinking too. When I did my mock a few days ago I was leaning towards Edmunds if I took a LB. But if we can't count on Foster then I guess Smith is the better option.

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm sure there were several plans. Plan A with Reuben, plan B without. Just like there was a Plan A prior to october 31st that included a top 2 QB. Plans change, and I'm sure they try to anticipate all sorts of scenarios. They probably had plans including some free agents who turned out not to be available. If lowly bumbling morons (speaking for myself) like us can have multiple plans, then these guys probably have plans for things we don't even foresee. They probably have plans for the after Trent Brown, or even the after Staley, that we don't even bother to consider. I wouldn't even be surprised if they already have files on QBs who will be available in the next few years in case Jimmy flops. My godson will be in his draft year in 2038, if anyone is working on future QBs. There's a decent chance he'll be a lefty.

Hard pass on the lefty QB prospect. That would put Trent Brown III in a more vital position and I'm not sure he'll be ready for that.

I totally agree with all that. That's why I'm saying all of this "now we're definitely going Roquan or Edmunds" talk doesn't make sense to me. We likely already had a plan in place so nothing has changed. All those guys do is sit around and talk scenarios so I don't buy that this changes their plans.

4 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Hard pass on the lefty QB prospect. That would put Trent Brown III in a more vital position and I'm not sure he'll be ready for that.

I totally agree with all that. That's why I'm saying all of this "now we're definitely going Roquan or Edmunds" talk doesn't make sense to me. We likely already had a plan in place so nothing has changed. All those guys do is sit around and talk scenarios so I don't buy that this changes their plans.

I would agree - there is no definitely about it in this case in my opinion. I could still absolutely see us bypassing either of those guys for a pass rusher or Minkah, or several people to be honest. I would slide roquan above edmunds now for me personally, but that's about the extent of the change in the draft for me. I wasn't really counting on Foster much this year anyway (I assumed at least a 4 game suspension off the bat). 

4 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

If Trent Brown is still the RT in 2038, I will donate both my kidneys to drifters.

5 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

It can change the plan in the sense that perhaps they felt Roquan would have been redundant, as a Mike or Will in this scheme, with Smith and Foster in line to be the starters at those positions, making Edmunds a more attractive option to complete the trio. But now that there's another opening in the LB group, Smith is no longer redundant, and his value has increased. It changes the plan from A to B. They were aware of the possibility, but now it has become a reality.

Archived