2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Also if we traded up to 6 I don't think we need to give up more then one of our 3rds and a 6th or 7th round pick.

If we trade up to 4 we just need to trade both 3rds and a late round pick based on draft chart. At worse if there's a bidding war we throw in our 3rd next year as well.

I'm not saying we will trade up or that we need too but the team set us up last year to be able to be aggressive this year. If we love Barkley, Nelson or Chubb we could trade up without mortgaging the future.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:00 PM, Forge said:

We aren't going LVE at 9...but in a trade back scenario, he'd be in play I think. 

might be a option if he is having some injury concerns to fall into 2nd round. We seem to be able to clear things like this if our Drs are ok with it.

7 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Sure wish we were privy to more information. I like Vander Esch and am very curious what the specific concerns are...

It doesn't appear to be anything new - from the note, it looks like they are flagging previous injuries as potentially recurring is what I'm taking from it. He missed time in college due to various injuries during his sophomore season, but he was perfectly healthy last year (maybe played through injuries, I'm not sure) 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

It doesn't appear to be anything new - from the note, it looks like they are flagging previous injuries as potentially recurring is what I'm taking from it. He missed time in college due to various injuries during his sophomore season, but he was perfectly healthy last year (maybe played through injuries, I'm not sure) 

To piggy back on this - @49erurtaza just put inthe draft thread a quote from Mort that says that some teams have flagged him for a neck injury, though not all have removed him from the board. So it's apparently a neck injury. 

8 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Also if we traded up to 6 I don't think we need to give up more then one of our 3rds and a 6th or 7th round pick.

If we trade up to 4 we just need to trade both 3rds and a late round pick based on draft chart. At worse if there's a bidding war we throw in our 3rd next year as well.

I'm not saying we will trade up or that we need too but the team set us up last year to be able to be aggressive this year. If we love Barkley, Nelson or Chubb we could trade up without mortgaging the future.

Not saying your wrong but I seriously doubt we're 'in love' with any player slated to go in the top 10 enough to want to trade up. And Im of the mindset that one of those guys is going to fall. In a draft that is supremely stacked at the RB position, wouldn't surprise me if it were Barkley. But I just don't see us moving up for any one player because this isn't that kind of top loaded draft were those guys are just head and shoulders better than the other guys slated to go a few spots later. The talent through the top ten is pretty even IMO. There are no clear cut franchise players, at least not any that I could see moving the needle enough for us to trade up from the 9 spot. 

I think we stay@9 or trade back if the offer is good enough. And I think if Roquan Smith is on the board@9, he could very well be the guy. I don't care what anyone in or around the organization says, Foster's legal troubles makes MLB a priority. Toomer is great insurance in case BPA falls into our lap but I think if Smith is there and Lynch really likes him, he'll be the guy over a pass-rusher. Especially in a draft that lacks superior edge talent. 

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't care what anyone in or around the organization says, Foster's legal troubles makes MLB a priority.

Even if Foster only gets a suspension and no jail time, I wouldn't mind taking Smith. Imagine a future with Smith manning the Mike and Foster taking over Malcolm Smith at Will. That would be very interesting. And if Foster is gone, then we have Smith and Smith. Can we get a third Smith to complete the trio? Maybe we draft Sutton Smith next year! Smith-Smith-Smith. That would be a joy for the announcers.

11 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Even if Foster only gets a suspension and no jail time, I wouldn't mind taking Smith. Imagine a future with Smith manning the Mike or Foster taking over Malcolm Smith at Will. That would be very interesting. And if Foster is gone, then we have Smith and Smith. Can we get a third Smith to complete the trio? Maybe we draft Sutton Smith next year! Smith-Smith-Smith. That would be a joy for the announcers.

They could both actually be interchangeable. Either could flip from MIKE or WILL on any given play. Both are excellent in coverage and great in pursuit, sideline to sideline. And lets say Saleh doesn't work out and we go back to a 3-4, both could still play inside in that scheme as well. 

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Not saying your wrong but I seriously doubt we're 'in love' with any player slated to go in the top 10 enough to want to trade up. And Im of the mindset that one of those guys is going to fall. In a draft that is supremely stacked at the RB position, wouldn't surprise me if it were Barkley. But I just don't see us moving up for any one player because this isn't that kind of top loaded draft were those guys are just head and shoulders better than the other guys slated to go a few spots later. The talent through the top ten is pretty even IMO. There are no clear cut franchise players, at least not any that I could see moving the needle enough for us to trade up from the 9 spot. 

I think we stay@9 or trade back if the offer is good enough. And I think if Roquan Smith is on the board@9, he could very well be the guy. I don't care what anyone in or around the organization says, Foster's legal troubles makes MLB a priority. Toomer is great insurance in case BPA falls into our lap but I think if Smith is there and Lynch really likes him, he'll be the guy over a pass-rusher. Especially in a draft that lacks superior edge talent. 

Yeah I agree. I'm not saying we will but if we do I wouldn't be surprised since we have the ammo to do so.

10 hours ago, John232 said:

Yay. Hard yay. If he's there in the second, which 100% won't be the case, we take him. 

His YAC ability is impressive. His center of gravity seems weird. He has a kind "lean" when he runs, making him somewhat parallel to the ground. If you get the idea.

Dude could be dangerous in the screen game.

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

They could both actually be interchangeable. Either could flip from MIKE or WILL on any given play. Both are excellent in coverage and great in pursuit, sideline to sideline. And lets say Saleh doesn't work out and we go back to a 3-4, both could still play inside in that scheme as well. 

Foster could play WILL simply because he is so talented but imo he is a much better MIKE. Having him anywhere else would be a mistake. You are right about the fact he could play in a 34 scheme, he is excellent at navigating traffic and making tackles. 

Roquan Smith on the other hand would be a terrible fit for the 34. He would be a good fit here as the WILL but will struggle anywhere else. He isn't going to be great in coverage in the NFL. If we draft him as 'fosters replacement' that would be a huge mistake as they play completely different positions. 

The more I think about it, the more I don't think roquan will go in the top 15. The closer we get the more my gut says he won't be a 49er. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Foster could play WILL simply because he is so talented but imo he is a much better MIKE. Having him anywhere else would be a mistake. You are right about the fact he could play in a 34 scheme, he is excellent at navigating traffic and making tackles. 

Roquan Smith on the other hand would be a terrible fit for the 34. He would be a good fit here as the WILL but will struggle anywhere else. He isn't going to be great in coverage in the NFL. If we draft him as 'fosters replacement' that would be a huge mistake as they play completely different positions. 

The more I think about it, the more I don't think roquan will go in the top 15. The closer we get the more my gut says he won't be a 49er. 

Couldn't disagree more. Smith is a Pro Bowl MIKE in the NFL in a fe2 years.. He and Foster are very similar in terms instincts, coverage and tackling. Foster is a bigger hitter and more of a thumper but Smith is a sound tackler and takes better angles to the ball than Foster. Smith could definitely play inside in a 3-4, he could play in any scheme. He's that skilled and talented.

Archived