2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Smith is probably my favorite player in the draft. Heck, I was fine with taking him even when Foster looked to be part of the future. But I don't think we should panic and take Smith because of Foster's situation. Take Smith if he's the best player, but don't bypass another player higher on the board. 

Saying that, I think this is the rare situation where he may be the BPA in a position of need. This guy is a legit top 3-5 talent in the draft. 

So many guys I would be fine with taking at #9. Sure helps to have the QB situation figured out. Smith/James/Fitzpatrick/Nelson/Landry/Ward are A okay with me. Could sell me on Edmunds and Wynn. 

Interesting. So does Rosen or Allen or Mayfield drop? I think Mayfield goes to the Jets. So between Rosen and Allen. Would be great if two of those plus Jackson were still available at #9 and we were able to trade down and accumulate more picks. 

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interesting. So does Rosen or Allen or Mayfield drop? I think Mayfield goes to the Jets. So between Rosen and Allen. Would be great if two of those plus Jackson were still available at #9 and we were able to trade down and accumulate more picks. 

If any of the top 4 quarterbacks falls, it's going to be Rosen. I think he'll be available in the 7-10 range for someone looking to make a deal. 

I do think that McShay misspoke here and meant he was going to be the fifth quarterback off the board. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So glad to see this! Makes you wonder whether 9ers choose LB on the 1st or 2nd day...is it Draft Day yet?!

I check mocks pretty regularly.  Yesterday I saw two that were updated since last week. Both switched from someone  else to Smith and noted our need for a LB. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but the Foster situation has to have increased the odds.  Besdies, Smith and Edmunds were two likely picks even before the Foster news.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So glad to see this! Makes you wonder whether 9ers choose LB on the 1st or 2nd day...is it Draft Day yet?!

Another guy I like is Oren Burks from Vanderbilt. Similar build and athleticism. There are some day 2 and day 3 guys that can turn out to be good if coached up. 

9 minutes ago, sherm said:

Another guy I like is Oren Burks from Vanderbilt. Similar build and athleticism. There are some day 2 and day 3 guys that can turn out to be good if coached up. 

In my last mock draft just for fun I gave us Davenport and Carter with our first two picks and then gave us Burks in the 4th. Not sure he'll last that long, but yeah, he'd be a nice pickup on day 3.

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mel Kiper went from saying he wouldn't touch Jackson at QB before the 3rd round and he has more value as a WR to saying no chance he doesn't get drafted in the first round L-O-L. 

edit...i misread what you said. lol

But on that topic, I wonder if his view on him has actually changed. Those two are not exactly the same thing. He could be a lock to go in the first round with Kiper still thinking he's a better fit at wide receiver and not touching him before round 3. The thing with Kiper that I dislike is that at some point, it seemed like he stopped giving his actual opinion on players. I listen to his podcast with McShay, and I feel like Kiper is always dodging opinion questions. He's more about where he thinks guys will go in the draft, never actually divulging what he thinks about them. I feel like at this point, what he's trying to do is be familiar with players for when they get draft and just be an information mouthpiece...I feel like he's not actually a draft "scout" type any more. I know he still has his big board and all, but just the way he talks. I was listening to dari and mel one day and one caller asked him specifically what he would do at #1 with the browns, and Kiper seriously refused to answer the question. Started talking about what good friends he was with John Dorsey, and all these merits of the Cleveland GM and how people didn't need to ask what Kiper would do and yadda yadda...it was really bizarre. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

edit...i misread what you said. lol

But on that topic, I wonder if his view on him has actually changed. Those two are not exactly the same thing. He could be a lock to go in the first round with Kiper still thinking he's a better fit at wide receiver and not touching him before round 3. The thing with Kiper that I dislike is that at some point, it seemed like he stopped giving his actual opinion on players. I listen to his podcast with McShay, and I feel like Kiper is always dodging opinion questions. He's more about where he thinks guys will go in the draft, never actually divulging what he thinks about them. I feel like at this point, what he's trying to do is be familiar with players for when they get draft and just be an information mouthpiece...I feel like he's not actually a draft "scout" type any more. I know he still has his big board and all, but just the way he talks. I was listening to dari and mel one day and one caller asked him specifically what he would do at #1 with the browns, and Kiper seriously refused to answer the question. Started talking about what good friends he was with John Dorsey, and all these merits of the Cleveland GM and how people didn't need to ask what Kiper would do and yadda yadda...it was really bizarre. 

Another thing I heard on there podcast Mel Kiper doesn't think Arden Key doesn't go until round 4.

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Another thing I heard on there podcast Mel Kiper doesn't think Arden Key doesn't go until round 4.

Yeah, I've said that a couple of times. I think there's a chance that he goes in round 3, but I don't think that he goes in the first two. 

Archived