2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

As strange as it may sound, I wouldn't be disappointed with either Jackson or Oliver at 9. Their my top 2 CBs and even though most would call it a reach, I'd be happy with either.

As much as I love me some Oliver(most physically gifted CB in the draft) it'll be a reach. Now if he turns out to be the best CB in the draft 2 yrs from now nobody will care where he got picked. But I think we can draft @ 9 and trade up from pick 59 to early 2nd rd to draft him. 

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

So much comes down to the interviews... predictions of character development and work ethic. 

Would be fun for the fans, if we could watch interview footage, lol. In today's invasive advancements, maybe we'll have to wait till next year for this, lol. 

I keep thinking NFL Network should have its room and just run interviews on several of these kids as if they were one of the teams drafting. The prospect would go through the teams who want to meet him, then if NFLN puts in a request, he goes for that interview, and they ask him questions like a normal team would. That would be amazing.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So word is Rosen could slide and the Patriots want him...Would you go send #9 to NE for 23/31 and maybe another pick?

I think 23/31 probably would get it done to be honest. I have no issue with that. 

2 hours ago, sherm said:

As much as I love me some Oliver(most physically gifted CB in the draft) it'll be a reach. Now if he turns out to be the best CB in the draft 2 yrs from now nobody will care where he got picked. But I think we can draft @ 9 and trade up from pick 59 to early 2nd rd to draft him. 

There's no way Oliver makes it out of the first. He's a top 3 CB prospect in most circles behind Ward and Jackson. He probably won't make it to the late first.

42 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

There's no way Oliver makes it out of the first. He's a top 3 CB prospect in most circles behind Ward and Jackson. He probably won't make it to the late first.

I could absolutely see him lasting until the second round. I think he'd go early in the second (top 40), but absolutely could be there. I could see only 3 corners going in round one and that last one being Jaire Alexander. Teams have so many needs and he's that fringe first type of guy. A couple of teams opt to go another direction than secondary, and boom, he's out of round 1. 

43 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree he should go in the 1st though it wouldn't shock me to see him go in the 2nd rd. Teams usually fall in love with the 4.3 or 4.4 guys in the 1st.  Last guy I remember who ran 4.5 and went 1st rd was Dre Kirkpatrick. 

6 minutes ago, sherm said:

I agree he should go in the 1st though it wouldn't shock me to see him go in the 2nd rd. Teams usually fall in love with the 4.3 or 4.4 guys in the 1st.  Last guy I remember who ran 4.5 and went 1st rd was Dre Kirkpatrick. 

Concur. Guys in that 4.5 range are typically looked at more as zone corners...not so much ideal for man coverage schemes (or they bump them to safety). If certain teams feel that way, that he's best a zone and they are a very heavy man team, you're losing some of your opportunity in the first round. I mean, even Josh Jackson is apparently being looked at as a safety by Dallas and other teams and people have been lamenting his fit as a man cover corner since the start of the draft process. He projects as an off the ball zone corner in a lot of peoples' opinion. 

What are your thoughts on Meeks? Especially if we don't draft any of the top dbs and he was among the 50 or so players that came to our local pro day. Seems like his measurables check the box and he's already had some communication on learning from Sherman (not that its relevant). What round has he been rumored to go?

57 minutes ago, StevenK said:

What are your thoughts on Meeks? Especially if we don't draft any of the top dbs and he was among the 50 or so players that came to our local pro day. Seems like his measurables check the box and he's already had some communication on learning from Sherman (not that its relevant). What round has he been rumored to go?

Meeks is the guy I tend to mock to us every single time. He just makes too much sense.

Archived