2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

What are your thoughts on Meeks? Especially if we don't draft any of the top dbs and he was among the 50 or so players that came to our local pro day. Seems like his measurables check the box and he's already had some communication on learning from Sherman (not that its relevant). What round has he been rumored to go?

Not too enamored with his fluidity or long speed but you see glimpses of a guy who could succeed with more polish and technique. I'd take a flyer on him later...much later though.

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

What are your thoughts on Meeks? Especially if we don't draft any of the top dbs and he was among the 50 or so players that came to our local pro day. Seems like his measurables check the box and he's already had some communication on learning from Sherman (not that its relevant). What round has he been rumored to go?

19 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Meeks is the guy I tend to mock to us every single time. He just makes too much sense.

Yeah, I'm a fan. I don't know if he makes it to #70 or #74, then I would be very happy to see SF draft him. He can play well in off or press, imo, and I like his movement skills. He'll have to be more cautious with being too physical downfield though. 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I could absolutely see him lasting until the second round. I think he'd go early in the second (top 40), but absolutely could be there. I could see only 3 corners going in round one and that last one being Jaire Alexander. Teams have so many needs and he's that fringe first type of guy. A couple of teams opt to go another direction than secondary, and boom, he's out of round 1. 

His tape is too good. CBs are a need for every team, nearly every year. And its not like this draft is stacked at other premier positions. Its a down year for pass-rushers, WRs, and OTs. And there are a ton of teams that need CB help. I get what your saying scheme wise and fit but his tape shows a guy that could thrive in virtually any scheme and what he's best at(press-man), any team/scheme can use. Now a surprise guy like Dontae Jackson could go before him because of his speed/quickness and the need to solidify the nickelback for alot of teams but I don't see a CB will his skillset making it out of the first. Maybe if he ran a 4.67 or something similar but a 4.50 with his size is more than enough to function at a high level in the pros. 

I'm not totally sold on Meeks. Certainly wouldn't mind him in the 4th round, but like a lot of other CBs over him. I have a feeling Oliver will drop to the bottom 2nd and we could grab him there. Or I even like Nickerson from Tulane. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not totally sold on Meeks. Certainly wouldn't mind him in the 4th round, but like a lot of other CBs over him. I have a feeling Oliver will drop to the bottom 2nd and we could grab him there. Or I even like Nickerson from Tulane. 

Parry Nickerson is my boy. I took him in the 7th round of the TCMD. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I think 23/31 probably would get it done to be honest. I have no issue with that. 

Maybe instead of 23/ 31 it could be a combination of 23, the highest second, a third and Gronk could be worked. With word of the stuff of Gronk and TB creating a divide it’s possible. He’s injury prone but I think the mental stuff and discontent is more about Belichick and his rigid code and personality costing them a SB and being too much of an ego. The extra second is good but I’m not completely convinced Gronk is checked out and it we could move back 10 spots, get two top 90 picks and a guy who can potentially get us a few more wins (red zone is our biggest issue and he’s maybe the best target there) for 3-4 years I’m all I. 

Our first round picks as of late have been predictable regardless of the regime. But this year seems to be a lot of differing opinions. I'd be meh with the Edmunds pick. Sure he has a high ceiling, but Smith like Foster could be a Pro Bowl caliber player from day one. Why pass that up for potential? 

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our first round picks as of late have been predictable regardless of the regime. But this year seems to be a lot of differing opinions. I'd be meh with the Edmunds pick. Sure he has a high ceiling, but Smith like Foster could be a Pro Bowl caliber player from day one. Why pass that up for potential? 

I'm really coming around to Edmunds and I think Roquan is the pick I'd least like to see if we stay at 9. 

To me it's not as much about potential, although that would favor Edmunds, as it is about how fixable a player's weaknesses are. Roquan can't take on blockers. This is a direct result of his size and not something that he can change. Having a flaw that isn't fixable is a major concern if you're taking someone in the top 10. 

Edmunds, on the other hand, misdiagnoses plays and takes bad angles. While this makes his film harder to watch at times these are clearly fixable flaws especially considering his age. Not to say he'll ever be great in either of those regards but if he's able to fix those flaws, which is a safer bet than Roquan fixing his, then he'll easily be the better player between the two.

14 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Not too enamored with his fluidity or long speed but you see glimpses of a guy who could succeed with more polish and technique. I'd take a flyer on him later...much later though.

"Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times."  Ran a 4.56 forty. 

... Richard Sherman's draft profile.

2 hours ago, sherm said:

Don't believe for one second Lynch "needs to go safe" with our top pick cuz of Foster. That's an easy narrative to write. 

No need to pass up on great talent but no reason not to consider fit/personality as well.  If Foster were coming out this year and we had him and Edmunds and Smith al;l rated about the same and knew that he had been thrown out of the combine for bad behavior, and also that he had a compromised sample why not then take the "safe" pick.  That doesn't necessarily mean giving up on talent. It just means that when guys are close you have to consider things like desire, competitiveness, leadershiip, and yes, all those personality things come into play too.

A niced example might be Smith vs Edmunds.  By all accounts I've read both are great character guys. Given Edmunds size and youth he appears to have a higher upside than Smith.  But Smith has proven himself to be the best LB in the country. He would be considered "the safe pick". But in the this case, screw "safe". Take the guy you think will give us the most over his career here whichever one of the two that might be. On the other hand if one had a serious character issue, then maybe consider taking "the safe pick" in that case.

Archived