2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our first round picks as of late have been predictable regardless of the regime. But this year seems to be a lot of differing opinions. I'd be meh with the Edmunds pick. Sure he has a high ceiling, but Smith like Foster could be a Pro Bowl caliber player from day one. Why pass that up for potential? 

Well, maybe not just for potential. You might also consider positional value and positional need.  I've never said draft for need without considering talent. If  you think Smith is better then take him. But if you think they'll work out the same but Smith will contribute faster, then are other things to consider. If you happen to think that after weighing current and projected future levels of performance and they come out about equal, then you might add some extra value for a guy who could play a SAM for us. As long as we don't have a great Leo it would really help if we could get 5 or 6 sacks from the other side. That's something Edmunds could do right from the start. That's a lot easier proposition then thinking he will take a couple of years to learn how to play an ILB spot. So maybe he can contribute right from the start too. Maybe if you want both an ILB and an OLB you might consider whether Smith plus whoever else you might be able to get at the other spot later is better or worse than Edmunds plus whoever you might get later to play inside. We can't plan to fix our LB corps by using our first pick for several straight years on each position. That would take far too long and by then we'll be needing to replace some of those DL guys we drafted over the past few years. Persaonnly, and I know I don't know much, I think I see more decent options at Mike or Will in the second and third than I do outside guys.

2 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I'm really coming around to Edmunds and I think Roquan is the pick I'd least like to see if we stay at 9. 

To me it's not as much about potential, although that would favor Edmunds, as it is about how fixable a player's weaknesses are. Roquan can't take on blockers. This is a direct result of his size and not something that he can change. Having a flaw that isn't fixable is a major concern if you're taking someone in the top 10. 

Edmunds, on the other hand, misdiagnoses plays and takes bad angles. While this makes his film harder to watch at times these are clearly fixable flaws especially considering his age. Not to say he'll ever be great in either of those regards but if he's able to fix those flaws, which is a safer bet than Roquan fixing his, then he'll easily be the better player between the two.

I have Smith slightly ahead of Edmunds, but this is a very interesting take.

3 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I'm really coming around to Edmunds and I think Roquan is the pick I'd least like to see if we stay at 9. 

To me it's not as much about potential, although that would favor Edmunds, as it is about how fixable a player's weaknesses are. Roquan can't take on blockers. This is a direct result of his size and not something that he can change. Having a flaw that isn't fixable is a major concern if you're taking someone in the top 10. 

Edmunds, on the other hand, misdiagnoses plays and takes bad angles. While this makes his film harder to watch at times these are clearly fixable flaws especially considering his age. Not to say he'll ever be great in either of those regards but if he's able to fix those flaws, which is a safer bet than Roquan fixing his, then he'll easily be the better player between the two.

Kind of what I've beeen pondering. I saw that film on Edmunds showing him missing or guessing on plays. To some extent I believe "instincts" are natural abilites. But of course everyone can learn and get better - especially a guy that is still a tennager. On the other hand a guy coming out of college is not going to grwo 4 more inches and have his arms suddenly grow another 2 and ahalf inches. With Smith I think what you see is what you get - and granted that's a whole lot. With Edmunds you see a lot, but it's quite possible that someday youi'll be able to get a whole lot more than what you see now.

3 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Roquan can't take on blockers. This is a direct result of his size and not something that he can change.

Plenty of guys his size can take on blockers. I mean, Navorro is 6lbs heavier and can take on blockers. Pat Willis was 4lbs heavier only. He's 6lbs heavier than Reuben was last year, and we didn't hesitate to throw Reuben in traffic. Roquan might not have ideal size, and might not be the most adept at taking on blockers now, but who's to say he can't ever, because of his size? He's 2lbs lighter than Luke Kuechly, and has anyone suggested Luke isn't a great ILB (when healthy)? Taking on and shedding blockers has a lot to do with technique, and add NFL-level strength and conditioning, and he should be alright. Instincts are harder to fix, and according to most, he has some of the best instincts in this class.

38 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

What an uninspiring mock for us. We miss out on Nelson by one spot! And we draft a FB in the sixth? Really? 

Truthfully, I do expect Nelson to go at #8 to the bears lol. 

Also, yeah, mock is kind of meh. I could live with Landry at 9. I understand the impetus behind the selection, don't love it. But I get it. McFadden at the end of round two seems like a big reach to be honest. Hate that pick. Anthony Miller in round 3 is a very, very good pick, but then to back it up with Ian Thomas is just sort of meh. I'd probably rather Josey Jewell there. Thomas is an okay pick, but you're sort of drafting for the future there - he's not a guy that 's going to come in and play right away, and I think that there are other guys available there who could do that. Dorance Armstrong in 4 is a great value pick, though at that point you're double dipping the edge or moving Armstrong to Sam, and I don't think that's a great fit. After that, it's pretty much all just fodder. Nobody I Really like, nobody that I loathe, some that I don't even know lol

Can anyone out there tell me where we'd be picking if we had lost one more game? There was that game that we won with a FG at the end. I remember saying then that making that filed goal would do nothing to improve our team for the future, but might cause us to miss out on a better pick in the draft. I know there was a lot of sentiment for winning as many games as possible and the whole "momentum" thing.  But finishing out 4-1 instead of 5-0, especially when the loss just came down to a missed FG, just doesn't make a difference at all in my mind about momentum for this season - not nearly as much as possibly raking in a bunch of picks in a trade down scenario if we weren'ta position where someone wanted to move up to get a QB.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Can anyone out there tell me where we'd be picking if we had lost one more game? There was that game that we won with a FG at the end. I remember saying then that making that filed goal would do nothing to improve our team for the future, but might cause us to miss out on a better pick in the draft. I know there was a lot of sentiment for winning as many games as possible and the whole "momentum" thing.  But finishing out 4-1 instead of 5-0, especially when the loss just came down to a missed FG, just doesn't make a difference at all in my mind about momentum for this season - not nearly as much as possibly raking in a bunch of picks in a trade down scenario if we weren'ta position where someone wanted to move up to get a QB.

I believe we would have been at 6 based on SOS. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How are you guys able to post the draft on here?

Anyways I did a three rounder and ended up with:

1. Landry

2. Hughes

3. Hurst (TE)

4. Baker 

I just took a screenshot and upload the picture on a server, and inserted the link in the media thing here.

9: R1P9

EDGE BRADLEY CHUBB
NC STATE
59: R2P27

OT TYRELL CROSBY JR.
OREGON
70: R3P6

EDGE KEMOKO TURAY
RUTGERS
74: R3P10

RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE
128: R4P28
EDGE OGBONNIA OKORONKWO
OKLAHOMA
143: R5P6

CB QUENTON MEEKS
STANFORD
184: R6P10

LB GENARD AVERY
MEMPHIS

A little triple dipping....Pash rush solved?

Archived