2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, there was a big change in the defensive philosophy there this year and in particular his role in the defense. I know that @y2lamanaki is not a fan in the least, but I think he's an intriguing option in the 3/4th rounds if you swing and miss for an edge rusher the first two

I'm really not a fan. He was one of a handful of guys I went out of my way to watch this year, and there was nothing about him that impressed me. Hugely disappointed.

Now, if he's there in the 4th, I agree he's worth a flier at that point (there certainly won't be better options later). I won't even be too disappointed in the 3rd. But, I also won't be broken up if we repeatedly pass on him either.

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Whoa, Kiper/McShay have Roquan going #6 to Indy. 

They alternated picks and draft ended up like this:

1. Ward

2. Nwosu

3. Lasley

3. Kelly 

Interesting draft. Obviously love Ward, but they went with some pretty risky picks. 

That's crazy for Roquan. Don't get me wrong, I love the dude as a prospect, but I have to imagine either Chubb / Barkley / Nelson are available at 6. Chubb to me is a comparable prospect at a higher positional value as a pass rusher, and something they desperately need. They haven't been able to keep Luck healthy, and you have the best guard prospect in a while staring you in the face, also a position of need (and quite frankly, he's just a better prospect than Smith on the overall big board I'd say). Same for Nelson...positional value, like guard (but also like off the ball linebacker) is sort of meh, but Barkley has to be considered the superior prospect on the overall big board. Definitely an interesting take. 

I think the Bills or the Dolphins probably trade up to that spot to take one of the top QBs.

Speaking of the Dolphins, looks like they really want a QB early in the draft. Trading back down to their spot and picking up additional pick (s) wouldn't be the worst of things. 

12 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Finally got my full 7 round mock up. Let me know what you think. You can be brutal, if that's what you're feelin'. 

I definitely like the first pick! Good job on doing a 7 round for every team though, I bet that took some time!

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I definitely like the first pick! Good job on doing a 7 round for every team though, I bet that took some time!

It did. Made lots of adjustments and overthinks. Really try to nail down each team with a reasonable balance of value vs positional need. Probably not as knowledgeable of all teams.. but I try.. and have seen many mocks that were sloppy and far worse. 

9 minutes ago, sherm said:

I can't see anyway with the holes on our defense we go 2 of our top 3 picks OL. 

Maybe not, but I do feel protecting Jimmy now and for the foreseeable future is a smart plan. #shrugs

I understand the logic of protecting Jimmy G. But 2 draft picks that high need to be day 1 starters for me. And 2 day 1 starters on the OL is not always the best idea to protecting your QB. Now I do expect us to add an OL or 2 to add to the competition.

Barring injury Kyle will have this offense in the top 10...@ worst top 15. The defense needs the most work to become good or above avg. So I anticipate this being a defensive heavy draft.

20 minutes ago, sherm said:

I understand the logic of protecting Jimmy G. But 2 draft picks that high need to be day 1 starters for me. And 2 day 1 starters on the OL is not always the best idea to protecting your QB. Now I do expect us to add an OL or 2 to add to the competition.

Barring injury Kyle will have this offense in the top 10...@ worst top 15. The defense needs the most work to become good or above avg. So I anticipate this being a defensive heavy draft.

I hear you and that's cool by me, but with the "other OKO" being picked in rd 3? I wouldn't consider that spot to be a must-start player. 

This true "OKO" can get some pro development in as he waits for Brown to kick rocks after the year. Having a rookie start at OT is rarely a comforting thought for our Franchise QB, and having better depth at OT can't be a bad thing with a 3rd rounder. 

Image result for drop mic gif

19 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Daniel Jeremiah out with his latest. Has us taking Smith. But for folks here that perfer Edmunds he did have Edmunds going at 8 to Chi.

Give me Smith over Edmunds every day. No problem with that choice. :) 

58 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And if we beef up the online, that can mean keeping the ball away from the opposing O. Helps the D by D-fault. Yep, did that on purpose. 

And it probably saves the opposing O from getting killed by DeFo.

Archived