2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Ward’s speed and coverage skills are outstanding. But his size (5-11, 183) and non-physical style do not match what the 49ers want from their cornerbacks.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/four-important-questions-about-49ers-first-round-pick

WHY THE HELL DOES MAIOCCO KEEP SAYING THIS??? Non-physical style? Am I missing anything? Dude is probably a little physical at times and needs to be careful he doesn't get called for holding penalties on the next level. He's a lot more physical of a corner than Jackson, but does Maiocco know something we don't? Maybe we aren't that interested in Ward? 

^ you got it right, J. 

Ward is perhaps too physical. A real scrapper, he is. He can have the obvious size limitations, if the scheme doesn't allow for him to lock onto specific receivers. Otherwise, there's plenty of physical in his game.

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/four-important-questions-about-49ers-first-round-pick

WHY THE HELL DOES MAIOCCO KEEP SAYING THIS??? Non-physical style? Am I missing anything? Dude is probably a little physical at times and needs to be careful he doesn't get called for holding penalties on the next level. He's a lot more physical of a corner than Jackson, but does Maiocco know something we don't? Maybe we aren't that interested in Ward? 

Daniel Jeremiah said last night in the mock draft live that he usually doesn't go for CBs without a lot of size but Ward is an exception. Said he was easily the best CB in the draft. Also one of the things he likes about him is what a physical tackler he is.  Had some clips of him just blowing up guys. In fact he has him rated as the 4th overall best player on his big board behind only Barkley, Chubb and Nelson. His next CBs are Hughes and Alexander at 15 and 16. The only thing he maybe can't do well is play press man against really big, strong WRs. But he can stay with them even if he can' t jam them effectively at the line.  Aside from that he is outstanding against speed receivers, and one of the best I've sween in a while at covering the quick guys with great moves. His mirroring skills and footwork are not just good, they're elite. The completion rate agains thim this year was phenominally low. He's also a heady player who sees plays developing really well. I think he's a better CB than Conley or Lattimore were last year.

I'd hate for us to be so locked into a particular type of guy that we would pass on someone with more talent because he doesn't fit our image of what we want at the position.

If we end up going with either Edmunds, Roquon and Landry, i'd be satisfied. If we end up with James or Minkah, I'd be ok, but hopeful they could figure out how to properly get them on the field. Biggest issue with the Thomas pick was the fact that we still had Armstead who could have done the same exact thing. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

If we end up going with either Edmunds, Roquon and Landry, i'd be satisfied. If we end up with James or Minkah, I'd be ok, but hopeful they could figure out how to properly get them on the field. Biggest issue with the Thomas pick was the fact that we still had Armstead who could have done the same exact thing. 

You mean gotten hurt and not finish the season?! I don't think you really mean that.

Lol, fair enough. Draft time last year, I was still working under the assumption that Armstead wasn't made of candy glass. I'd also give the benefit of the doubt on Thomas being the higher upside player. But still, wasn't huge on picking a 5 tech high without giving Armstead a real shot at it. Instead we tried him at LEO..oops. 

Another thing about this "too small" thing. No one said that last year about Conely or Lattimore. Both are one inch taller and  both are under 195. Adoree Jackson was the same size. Nobody has said Jaire Alexander is too small and he's an inch shorter than Ward and only about 10 pound heavier. Same for Mike Hughes.  He's also shorter and only a few pounds heavier.

I mean, I'd definitely say Jaire Alexander is too small, and kind of overrated tbh. not looking wingspan, I think most people didn't think that Conley/Lattimore had size issues or wingspan issues. Most of Lattimore's critiques were health based. But people were definitely using that as criticism on Adoree. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I mean, I'd definitely say Jaire Alexander is too small, and kind of overrated tbh. not looking wingspan, I think most people didn't think that Conley/Lattimore had size issues or wingspan issues. Most of Lattimore's critiques were health based. But people were definitely using that as criticism on Adoree. 

Yeah in Adoreee's case I didn't say he wasn't criticized for his size. But he's turned into a really good player - and I think Ward has much more potential than Adoree did

To me if we're gonna take a corner in the first, its gotta be Oliver. Best case scenario trade with the Pats or Bills or someone with multiple later first round picks, then pick up Oliver and Vander Esch. Ive repeated this 100000 times, but i see Oliver a a shutdown corner from Day 1. Hes smooth, a serious ballhawk (that over the shoulder one-handed INT? Wow.), and has the size and physicality. Just really polished, just like Ward and Alexander. 

Jackson im not a fan of at all. I just dont see it.

Ward and Alexander both are very polished and aggressive despite their small size, but i just feel like theyd get badly bullied by big bodied WRs who know how to use their size like AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc. Ward MAY be the smoothest CB in the draft, but i dont think its that much of a gap, if any, compared to Oliver for example. Would be extremely happy with Ward, but Oliver is my preference, and who i would pick without second thought.

Archived