2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Josh Norris and Doug Farrar both mocked us Josh Jackson today. Maiocco keeps talking about Ward not being big or physical enough. Hmm...................

Jackson would be a decent reach with regards to how I view him against the prospects as a whole, but obviously he would fit the defense perfectly and could easily be worth the selection in our scheme. Not my favorite selection though, I will say that. I'm just not a huge fan of Jackson overall, but for us he's a great fit and his limitations wouldn't be there. 

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Apparently, 4 of the 30 are quarterbacks, so they can be ruled out...that does beg the question, who is the one that doesn't have the first round grade? Jackson? Allen? Baker? 

14 minutes ago, sherm said:

Some reason I don't buy that. But If true though I see a trade up from pick 59...

I'd give the Giants our second round and Garnett to move up into their second round pick. 

Also, I agree...30 seems excessive, particularly in a draft I don't think is all that great to begin with. 

• There will be some trades in this draft that might seem one-sided. Several team officials told me in the past few days that they value Day 2 picks (rounds two and three) so highly that they’d be willing to take slightly less in compensation to move down. Where could this come into play? Cleveland (four), Indianapolis (six), Baltimore (16), Seattle (18), New England (23, 31), New Orleans (27), Philadelphia (32). “This is not your typical draft,” said one veteran club official Sunday. “The second, third and even fourth rounds are gold. You can take less than the trade-value chart says and still make a very good trade if you get multiple picks in those rounds.”

Sounding like this year will be more in line with the new trade value charts. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd give the Giants our second round and Garnett to move up into their second round pick. 

Also, I agree...30 seems excessive, particularly in a draft I don't think is all that great to begin with. 

Could be Lynch preparing the fanbase for a possible trade back late into the first round from 9.  Like, don't freak out, there are plenty of guys to love in this draft and we could really use the extra early picks.

27 minutes ago, sherm said:

Some reason I don't buy that. But If true though I see a trade up from pick 59...

Yeah, sounds like he's preparing his justification for a trade up. I have no problem with that. Package several picks to move up. I'd rather have 5 draft picks than 9 anyway.

I think '30 prospects witha first round grade' means a trade back is more likely, rather than a trade up.

Out of those 5, I'd bet Jackson is the QB that doesn't have a first round grade. Doesn't seem like Kyle places ANY value on running from that position

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I think '30 prospects witha first round grade' means a trade back is more likely, rather than a trade up.

Out of those 5, I'd bet Jackson is the QB that doesn't have a first round grade. Doesn't seem like Kyle places ANY value on running from that position

That's what I was thinking as well, but Allen would seem to be a very poor match for what Shanny would have his quarterbacks do. It's an intriguing question we will never have an answer to lol

1 minute ago, typecast said:

Would it be out of the realm of possibility that Rosen is the that fifth QB?  Horrendous accuracy on the bootlegs and within the red-zone.

Rosen has been my selection to slide for a while now, but I haven't knocked him below Jackson yet. Certainly possible, I do have to admit, but when I have been talking about Rosen's slide, I've been largely thinking that 7-10 range (thinking someone will jump Miami). Jackson I've had pegged with a ceiling of 15 (Arizona, assuming Buffalo trades up). 

10 minutes ago, typecast said:

Could be Lynch preparing the fanbase for a possible trade back late into the first round from 9.  Like, don't freak out, there are plenty of guys to love in this draft and we could really use the extra early picks.

Could be...but even if we stay put I don't see 9 rookies making the roster. So a trade back would add more picks that potentially won't make the 53. I rather have 5-7 strong picks than 10+ picks just to show off his draft day trading skills.

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Sean Paytron said if the Chiefs would have taken Lattimore at #10 last season, then they would have taken Mahomes. Interesting but also kind of puts them in the QB market early this draft right? So maybe they are contenders for Jackson or Rudolph late in the 1st? 

The funny thing is that earlier, he was hating just a tad on the top quarterbacks in this draft. But I agree with you - I think that they are looking quarterback in the first or second. I think Payton is playing the game with words. Earlier he said that he would hate to be a team that needs a quarterback in the top of this draft because "none of these guys are luck"...but conveniently, just the top of the draft, huh? lol. I think Payton was just throwing a little shade out there because I think that there are some guys that he likes whom he would like to nab in this draft. 

6 minutes ago, sherm said:

Could be...but even if we stay put I don't see 9 rookies making the roster. So a trade back would add more picks that potentially won't make the 53. I rather have 5-7 strong picks than 10+ picks just to show off his draft day trading skills.

Depends on what your trade is. Making a move from 9 to 11? Yeah, that may not yield the best, though I won't hate on that. But moving from 9 down to 23? there's a good chance that you end up with both New England's firsts, or you get #23 and both of their seconds. those are all guys that make the roster on this team for sure.

Also, a drop of something like 9 to 11 or 9 to 12 could yield a pick next year as opposed to this year. Would it be completely crazy for Buffalo or Miami to give up their second next year to move up two / three spots this year? I don't think so. Especially if it's for a quarterback. 

Archived