2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Wow, kind of surprised at all the hate thrown Mayfield's way...especially the comp to Manziel. Not an apropos comparison at all. He is intense and that is the end of the similarity. I also do not see why people think the QB prospect with the highest measured football IQ in this draft is 'destined' to fail. Taking the Chargers comments way out of context.

44 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Wow, kind of surprised at all the hate thrown Mayfield's way...especially the comp to Manziel. Not an apropos comparison at all. He is intense and that is the end of the similarity. I also do not see why people think the QB prospect with the highest measured football IQ in this draft is 'destined' to fail. Taking the Chargers comments way out of context.

He's a tool and easy to dislike. But but he can just offer another of those stellar apologies he's so good at. 

Also, not sure how he has the "highest measured" football IQ. How'd they measure that? The only measured IQ test that i know is the Wonderlic, and he didn't do so hot in that. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He's a tool and easy to dislike. But but he can just offer another of those stellar apologies he's so good at. 

Also, not sure how he has the "highest measured" football IQ. How'd they measure that? The only measured IQ test that i know is the Wonderlic, and he didn't do so hot in that. 

You need to read the linked article in the 'conundrum' thread in the Draft forum.

20 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

You need to read the linked article in the 'conundrum' thread in the Draft forum.

I do...but only because Im the mod in there and have to follow everything going on lol. Not to change my opinion of Baker. I've read quite a few pieces and I'm familiar with his exploits. The guy is still a tool. I don't have to like him to appreciate him as a football player though. I do agree with Sherm that there should be some concern on how he could potentially handle certain things. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just random walter rumors. 

I see, but the team has been linked to Fitzpatrick for a while.

It holds some weight to me when Peter King picks Smith to us and says we are considering Ward/McGlinchey. Looks like the media is locking into two or three players for us. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I see, but the team has been linked to Fitzpatrick for a while.

It holds some weight to me when Peter King picks Smith to us and says we are considering Ward/McGlinchey. Looks like the media is locking into two or three players for us. 

That was the first I had heard McGlinchey's name, and I don't buy that for a second...unless we trade down. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something to the NE / SF being trade partners, that would make much more sense for McGlinchey (hell, at 9, I'd still rather take Nelson and try him out at tackle then grab McGlinchey). I think Ward is an easy out - I'm hopeful that we would be legitimately interested in him, but I still have concerns that his talent would be wasted in our scheme and how much we would love his physical profile. We need to be considering him though for sure. 

Mike Tanier has us going with Smith as well. Another nugget from his mock draft:

The Bears are the team everyone thinks the 49ers will be.

While much of the NFL is in the throes of Jimmy Garoppomania and anticipates a quick rise to contention in San Francisco, the Bears have built an exciting new coaching staff and added explosive offensive weapons like Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel. The rest of the roster was already structurally sound, and Mitchell Trubisky flashed potential in the rare moments John Fox let him attempt a forward pass.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768308-2018-nfl-mock-draft-mike-taniers-final-predictions

A lot of it obviously comes down to the progression Trubisky makes, but I've been bold on the Bears for 2018 for a while now. I think they will be one of the sleepers that has a chance to sneak in the playoffs. Love the coaching hires they made and they certainly weren't shy in free agency. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

For sure. I said it months ago in this thread...the guy is just a tool. Doesn't change the type of football player he is, but very easy to dislike. 

I hope he wins a Super Bowl for the Browns (unless the 49ers stand in the way) while being a dirtbag. Just so it bothers people.

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mike Tanier has us going with Smith as well. Another nugget from his mock draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768308-2018-nfl-mock-draft-mike-taniers-final-predictions

A lot of it obviously comes down to the progression Trubisky makes, but I've been bold on the Bears for 2018 for a while now. I think they will be one of the sleepers that has a chance to sneak in the playoffs. Love the coaching hires they made and they certainly weren't shy in free agency. 

Mitch isn't necessarily trending up. Didn't look bad for a rookie from what I remember, but nothing special. John Fox is out, and Matt Nagey is there. That's good. Still, first year head coach. Also, Rodgers in the division. Vikings got Cousins, and already have a quality roster. Lions have Stafford, which counts for something. 

— Beyond the Colts, the 49ers are the most likely to trade back in the draft. Teams looking to trade up for Denzel Ward, Roquan Smith or Minkah Fitzpatrick could call San Francisco. Players the 49ers might target if they move down include Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch and UCLA offensive tackle Kolton Miller.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-rumors-news-2018-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-seahawks-patriots/we39wjkoszkh1865uxzb1c7fp

All of a sudden you have folks linking us to tackles. Wouldn't mind Vander Esch in a trade down, but Miller? Really? 

— A slight majority of teams have UCLA’s Kolton Miller as the top offensive tackle on their boards, with Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey the No. 1 tackle on many boards, as well. Miller and McGlinchey are likely to be drafted within in the top 25 picks. Texas’ Connor Williams has the most fluctuation on boards; he’s a top tackle prospect for some teams and a Day 2 guard prospect for others.

— I believe at least seven offensive linemen will go in Round 1: tackles McGlinchey, Miller and Williams; guards Quenton Nelson of Notre Dame, Will Hernandez of UTEP and Isaiah Wynn of Georgia; plus Iowa center James Daniels. The next linemen in order should be Arkansas’ Frank Ragnow, Oregon’s Tyrell Crosby, Ohio State’s Billy Price, Nevada’s Austin Corbett and Pittsburgh’s Brian O’Neill.

From the same article.

Seven OL in the first round? Definitely haven't heard many predict that. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-rumors-news-2018-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-seahawks-patriots/we39wjkoszkh1865uxzb1c7fp

All of a sudden you have folks linking us to tackles. Wouldn't mind Vander Esch in a trade down, but Miller? Really? 

I called the Kolton Miller thing a while ago in this thread. Hate it hate it hate it. I want nothing to do with Miller in the first round of this draft, even with the trade back. But he's a guy that would fit the scheme, and we seem to be big on scheme fit. But watch his tape...man, it's awful. He's on my absolutely "do not draft in the first round". Given me Christian in the 3/4th and I think you're largely getting the same thing. 

LVE is a guy that seems to have a pretty big variance in how people view him. Some really don't like him (our own 757 I believe is in that group), and some love him (Jrry comped him out to Urlacher). 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From the same article.

Seven OL in the first round? Definitely haven't heard many predict that. 

Ragnow may be getting some late push for first round love believe it or not. DJ tweeted out that he's too low on Ragnow and has to move him up, so I"m assuming he's gotten some late 1st/early 2nd buzz. There's chatter. This interior offensive line class is amazingly stacked. May be the best I've seen. 

Archived