2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I keep trying to convince myself that Shanny is a true offensive genius and to trust him.....But damn he makes it hard sometimes lol. 

The more I think on it, the more it has to be a total fake leak / smoke screen. It seriously make no sense in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I keep wondering.. is the reason why our FO hasn't seemed to pay much attention or be linked to Quenton Nelson just because most just assume he won't be there? Just like we aren't paying much attention to Chubb or Barkley. We just don't think they will be there. But what if Nelson is there, do they just all look at each other and say: "What?! Nelson dropped in our lap? Turn the card in!"

It's like when you draft in the 20s, and you don't pay attention to top 10 prospects. Maybe Nelson is just deemed too good to fall to #9. Personally, I haven't really been enamored with Nelson. I just go with the hype, really. Honestly, I haven't really watched him at all. I've only seen him while studying pass rushers. I don't know if he's really just that good. I just assumed he was hyped enough to go before our pick. Maybe our FO just doesn't believe he will be there, so the rumours reflect that. But if he's there, he's probably higher than McGlinchey on their list.

haha,   no way. 

Too many drafts from the past where guys expected to go early will fall. They have their scouts get to every true possibility in every area of interest. I bet SF scouts didn't spend a load of time on the top 5 quarterbacks, mind you... but they paid close attention to ALL of the top positions elsewhere. 

So Antonio Callaway failed the drug test at the combine LOL. God, some guys are just idiotic. He either failed it flat out, or got hit with a diluted, but either is just as damning and both count as a strike toward the program, I'm pretty sure. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

So Antonio Callaway failed the drug test at the combine LOL. God, some guys are just idiotic. He either failed it flat out, or got hit with a diluted, but either is just as damning and both count as a strike toward the program, I'm pretty sure. 

Was Foster in it? Didn't he have a diluted sample at the combine.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Was Foster in it? Didn't he have a diluted sample at the combine.

Yup, just found it

Foster informed NFL.com of this result, which the NFL will "treat as a positive test." That means Foster will enter the NFL's drug program upon being drafted, where he'll be subject to periodic and unannounced drug testing as soon as he signs a contract.

30 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

haha,   no way. 

Too many drafts from the past where guys expected to go early will fall. They have their scouts get to every true possibility in every area of interest. I bet SF scouts didn't spend a load of time on the top 5 quarterbacks, mind you... but they paid close attention to ALL of the top positions elsewhere. 

Also let's not forget that the team drafting these guys only has control for 4-6 years and that eventually 99% of the guys drafted will become free agents. It's good to put a profile together of everyone so you can act when the time is right. We will also probably face a lot of these guys in games during that period as well, so knowing strengths and weaknesses is always a plus 

49 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

haha,   no way. 

Maybe not so much "not considering it at all" as "not spending too much time discussing it. Leaks and rumours probably come from someone hearing the discussions and transmitting the key points to someone else. Maybe Nelson isn't among these "key points", but that doesn't mean we haven't scouted him, have a file on him, or that he wasn't discussed at all. But when considering him unlikely to be there, maybe most of the attention is given to those who are more likely to be. Or maybe the discussions are focused on those who require discussion, those who are so contestable and debatable that all the pros and cons have to be sorted out. Whereas Nelson's cons are what? He's not a perfect fit to Kyle's offense? What else? Maybe his pros are so convincing, and the consensus is so strong on him being better than the others being discussed, that he doesn't need to be discussed in the same breath as the others. What WE know is what media suppose based on hear-say. But is that the entire picture?

^ I think your example would be more befitting of... say KC this year. 

They have no first rd draft pick, and it seems highly unlikely they would trade up into the top 20, when considering all they still need on defense. So, in that case, I can see KC spending minimal if any time on scouting Nelson or other top 10 prospects. 

SF is picking 9th. There's just no way they have not fully scouted ANY of the non-QB top prospects. 

So YOU JUST DROP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

tenor.gif&ehk=WYZnVzycvfi7SOVor0yOyQ

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

^ I think your example would be more befitting of... say KC this year. 

They have no first rd draft pick, and it seems highly unlikely they would trade up into the top 20, when considering all they still need on defense. So, in that case, I can see KC spending minimal if any time on scouting Nelson or other top 10 prospects. 

SF is picking 9th. There's just no way they have not fully scouted ANY of the non-QB top prospects. 

So YOU JUST DROP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

tenor.gif&ehk=WYZnVzycvfi7SOVor0yOyQ

That's really not what I said, though. I'm just saying they're perhaps not spending as much time discussing Nelson as they do others. You discuss your doubts a lot more than you do your sure things, no? If you're not afraid of whiffing on a guy like Nelson, you don't need to discuss him as much as some other guys who might just bust and set you back some.

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I keep wondering.. is the reason why our FO hasn't seemed to pay much attention or be linked to Quenton Nelson just because most just assume he won't be there? Just like we aren't paying much attention to Chubb or Barkley. We just don't think they will be there. But what if Nelson is there, do they just all look at each other and say: "What?! Nelson dropped in our lap? Turn the card in!"

It's like when you draft in the 20s, and you don't pay attention to top 10 prospects. Maybe Nelson is just deemed too good to fall to #9. Personally, I haven't really been enamored with Nelson. I just go with the hype, really. Honestly, I haven't really watched him at all. I've only seen him while studying pass rushers. I don't know if he's really just that good. I just assumed he was hyped enough to go before our pick. Maybe our FO just doesn't believe he will be there, so the rumours reflect that. But if he's there, he's probably higher than McGlinchey on their list.

Given the limited number of private team workouts, they're probably only working out guys that they have questions about. It may also be the case that the team has no intention of taking Nelson or Barkley due to position should they fall to #9, though you've got to think Chubb would be strongly considered should he be there. They haven't worked out Derwin James, either, but I doubt that's because they haven't considered him with the pick.

Bottom line is that we only have a single draft/offseason to go off of when trying to determine which way this FO will go with their picks. There's simply not enough of a track record to make heads or tails of the pre-draft visits.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting difference in scouting - the 49ers apparently have 30 first round prospects this year, Dallas has only 17....

IIRC, the Cowboys always tend to have around that number of first round grades. 30 to me seemed a bit high, but maybe Lynch and the crew really like this draft lol.

Now it is Edmunds huh? I guess it is better than taking McGlinchey lol. 

Archived