2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

6 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I get it, I love hearing that these guys still remember when we were a force and want to be a part of the team that returns us there. As for Allen, I'm hoping for a big year from him, along with Rosen and Darnold, so that we have options. While I do have questions about his game I'm pulling for all these guys to stay healthy and show real well.

The hype for allen is a little out of control at this point. Obviously i've been on his bandwagon for a while, and I'm not hopping off anytime soon, but now we are getting articles like these: 

http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/josh-allen/josh-allen.html

My favorite quote:

Four years ago, not a single FBS school offered Josh Allen a scholarship. Today, the Wyoming quarterback has some calling him the best QB prospect since Cam Newton.

Okay, so first off who are these people?...since Cam Newton? I'm pretty sure that Luck, drafted after Newton, was considered a better QB prospect. I think it's arguable that Winston could have been considered better than Cam and that was just three years ago. Also, there's not even a guarantee that he's the best quarterback in this class lol. 

There was a similar article B/R earlier in the year as well. The hype machine is rolling full force on this one. 

Yea, at this point after seeing last season I'm still taking Darnold over Allen. But Allen's hype train is out of control right now but it will be interesting to see how he responds this season. I mean his true "tests" this year are Iowa opening the season and then Oregon week 3 or something like that so if he performs through that opening stretch and puts that team on his back I can only imagine what we'll be reading next about him.

11 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Hype train might not byte as much out of control as you guys think. I just saw the SI mock and it had Arnold going at 1, Rosen at 2, Rudolph at 6, and finally Allen at 10.

That's by far the lowest I have seen him in any mock so far. interesting take by Chris Burke. Interestingly, the team I have seen him paired with by far the most is Jacksonville, just at various points in the draft. Darnold is the most common guy I see at #1, then it's largely been a flip in most mocks I've seen - some have Rosen as the next qb off the board, some with Allen. I haven't seen anyone but Burke have Rudolph that high. I think that's a considerable leap of faith by Burke at this point. I've seen him be a fringe first rounder type, but nothing that had him in the top 7 or so. 

49 minutes ago, Geek said:

Really I like all three of the big QB's, but I'm firmly in the camp of Darnold>Rosen>Allen until we see some more game tape from those three.

Darnold > Allen > Rosen  for me right now. 

Yep, that's right, the guy who is all about Josh Allen doesn't actually have him as his top quarterback in the draft. I think the me + allen association is largely made because I've been hard on quarterbacks in the past and I was really super early on the Josh Allen bandwagon lol. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

That's by far the lowest I have seen him in any mock so far. interesting take by Chris Burke. Interestingly, the team I have seen him paired with by far the most is Jacksonville, just at various points in the draft. Darnold is the most common guy I see at #1, then it's largely been a flip in most mocks I've seen - some have Rosen as the next qb off the board, some with Allen. I haven't seen anyone but Burke have Rudolph that high. I think that's a considerable leap of faith by Burke at this point. I've seen him be a fringe first rounder type, but nothing that had him in the top 7 or so. 

I thought I posted this last night but don't see it so ... Just looked at CBS mock. They have Allen going at 20!  What's more, they have us taking Rudolph at 2.  Odd - that's the two latest mocks I've seen that both have Rudolph rated ahead of Allen.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I thought I posted this last night but don't see it so ... Just looked at CBS mock they have Allen going at 20!  What's more, they have taking Rudolph at 2.  Odd - that's the two latest mocks I've seen that both have Rudolph rated ahead of Allen.

Whoa...now that is the lowest I've seen Allen lol. I know that someone on CBS is a big fan of Rudolph, but I don't even think it was the guy who did this mock. I know one of their other mockers had Allen 1 to the browns, Rosen #2 to us, and Darnold #3 to the Jets lol. But CBS seems to be down on Allen altogether - I just checked, and they have him  #7 on their quarterbacks for next year, lower than Baker Mayfield. 

I like Rudolph to an extent, but there are system issues abound in a draft that features 3 prominent, pro style nfl quarterbacks. I'm just looking around at some of the rankings now. Walter has Allen #2, Rudolph #9 (seems low). CBS has Rudolph 2, Allen 7. Draftek has Allen 3, Rudolph 5. Kiper had Allen inside the top 7 of his big board - not sure where Rudolph fell, he wasn't in the top 7 though. Sportingnews has Allen 3, Rudolph 4. Honetsly, hadn't realized so many people were that high on Rudolph. I said before that he could be a first rounder for me, or a project...really need to watch him this year. Those system quarterbacks really bug me. I also have a bias against big 12 quarterbacks where defenses and schemes don't exist. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Meh start for Allen against Iowa on the road. Clearly outclassed. He only has 3 incompletions, but everything around the line.

Didn't look good at the end of the half taking two huge sacks and so far as you said has been check down king.

Still very, very early but not seeing very much improvement in his game. This is one of his tougher opponents he plays as well so showing well here is important.

Archived