Duck's Mock Draft 2.0

Da_Ducktator

Updated from last week's Mock and after MNF.

1. Cleveland Browns - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA

• A convoluted mess seems to be getting a step closer to being clear. Hue Jackson is still around, for now, which means A.J. McCarron might get paid to come to Cleveland. Still a lot up in the air though. Let's also remember that John Dorsey doesn't have a history of investing high in QB's, more so stockpiling them and hoping one works out. Then again, picking this high and having practically nothing at the position is new for Dorsey too.

2. New York Giants - QB Sam Darnold, USC

• I am thinking that Darnold ultimately stays in school, which likely means Giants either take Barkley here or pay a bit to the Browns to get Rosen. If Darnold does stay, the Giants decision is going to be very interesting.

3. Indianapolis Colts - EDGE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

• Colts did a nice job of finding a way to lose to Nathan Peterman in a blizzard. With the 49ers winning, it bumps them up to the top three which is huge for getting the most complete pass rusher in the class.

4. San Francisco 49ers - CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama

• I will probably end up dying on this hill, but while the 49ers defense has young talent, they still need help. They got their franchise QB in Jimmy G and I said before, the top three players on their board last year were all defenders. John Lynch is a defensive guy and will want to keep investing in it now that he has his QB. Running backs can be found all over the draft, Lynch being another guy that should know that after his time in Denver and Tampa. Ahkello Witherspoon is playing solid, Jaquiski Tartt was playing well before his injury, and Adrian Colbert and Eric Reid have both been solid, not great, but Reid is also an FA. They need to add a potentially elite secondary talent like Fitzpatrick, though a playmaker like Josh Jackson would be super tempting also.

5. Denver Broncos - RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State

• Unsure if the Broncos invest this high in a QB after high picks in Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch. Current group of running backs have been subpar and Barkley is a special talent.

6. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) - OT Brian O'Neill, Pittsburgh

• After re-watching O'Neill, I think he is clearly the best tackle prospect in the class. He could end up flirting with a very high grade and be in talks for the Giants at #2. O'Neill is an athletic tackle prospect and could have the opportunity to learn under Joe Thomas for a year or slide right in at RT. Would be huge for the Browns to go from Thomas to another potential franchise LT.

7. Chicago Bears - WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama

• They still need weapons so I'm going to continue to slot this reach here.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - EDGE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

• Lavonte David and Gerald McCoy are elite players and Robert Ayers has been good, but it's a bunch of under-performers everywhere else. If the Bucs decide to go defense, they could literally go anywhere with this pick. Ferrell is arguably the best defender on the board though and would add a nice presence.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

• Letting Kevin Zeitler walk proved to be incredibly dumb. Desperate for O-Line help, if Nelson fell to this pick, he would be a huge aide to a line that cannot seem to do anything right.

10. New York Jets - QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

• Bye Josh McCown. It was a valiant effort while it lasted. Hopefully for the Jets sake, McCown or another vet will be able to come in and tutor Allen because despite his elite physical tools, he needs a lot of coaching up.

11. Washington Redskins - S Derwin James, Florida State

• Stocking up on the O-Line given injuries would be helpful, but this secondary hasn't been the same. This pick is also going to be affected a lot by whether or not Su'a Cravens returns. Cravens fell in the draft despite a superstar career at USC due to poor testing. He turned out to be a good find for the Redskins, specifically because they used him in a way to maximize his strengths. James profiles in a similar manner, except with freakish athleticism although his ball skills are lacking. But if Cravens hangs them up, Derwin would be a great replacement.

12. Arizona Cardinals - QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

• Blaine Gabbert seems more and more like he is coming back, but I would bet that ends up being just a bridge situation. I think Baker would fit with Arians well in Arizona, although Lamar Jackson would be interesting. Arians has seemed to favor pocket passers in his coaching, but Lamar's potential could entice his brilliant offensive mind.

13. Oakland Raiders - LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama

• This linebacker group continues to be concerning and Evans has the looks of a young do-it-all linebacker such as Jamie Collins was with the Patriots. Derrius Guice is a very real possibility here though.

14. Miami Dolphins - OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

• Staying with this pick because as I said last week, the Dolphins probably lose RT Ja'Wuan James and they've shown a preference for college production over great testing in their last few drafts. McGlinchey doesn't carry a 1st round grade for me as of now because of his limitations in pass pro against speed, but at RT, he could be a quality player in the league. 'Phins need a CB pretty badly though also at this pick.

15. Baltimore Ravens - TE Mike Gesicki, Penn State

• Dennis Pitta replacement needs to be key for the Ravens this off-season. Gesicki or Andrews may be a little high here, but I believe both are going to find NFL success and would be worthy of the pick.

16. Los Angeles Chargers - DT Vita Vea, Washington

• This team continues to play much better than their current draft slot. Their secondary and edge rushers have played great and that's helped cover up the fact that this run defense hasn't been good. Vea is an athletic marvel at the position and could eat up blockers with his 340+ lbs. frame. Imagine how much better this pass rush would continue to get if this mammoth was eating up blockers to continue to free up Liuget inside..

17. Dallas Cowboys - DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson

• Wilkins is a perfect fit for Rod Marinelli's defense IF Rod decides to stick around another year. The Cowboys could certainly use Wilkins' infusion of athleticism and leadership on the line.

18. Detroit Lions - RB Derrius Guice, LSU

• The defense has been up and down, but the run game has been almost nonexistent since Barry Sanders retired. Ameer Abdullah seems like he won't workout and while Theo Riddick is a good pass catching back, Guice would add the between the tackles presence that has been desperately missing for this team.

19. Green Bay Packers - S Ronnie Harrison, Alabama

• I still think offensive line, specifically a guy like Connor Williams who could play RT or even LG if needed, could be in play, but Morgan Burnett is set to become a free agent and while HaHa Clinton-Dix has been okay, he hasn't been great and is only coming back on a team option. Harrison could replace Burnett in that versatile role as he has shown the ability to do it all at 'Bama.

20. Seattle Seahawks - OT Connor Williams, Texas

• Dream scenario for both parties. Seahawks get a talented offensive lineman to fall to them while Williams gets to start his pro career on the right side, where he can flex his dominant run blocking ability.

21. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City Chiefs) - EDGE Austin Bryant, Clemson

• Continuing to improve the defensive line. The two other Clemson d-lineman may arguably be better, but Bryant is plenty good of a prospect in his own right.

22. Buffalo Bills - DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

• The ageless wonder Frank Gore continued to make this run defense look bad. Doesn't seem to be getting better anytime soon for the Bills in that area.

23. Atlanta Falcons - CB Josh Jackson, Iowa

• Desmond Trufant has played great, and some other corners have played okay, but this team has four interceptions this year. Jackson is a superb playmaker in the secondary. Safety is a bigger need, but I'm unsure if a fourth safety is going to emerge into the 1st round.

24. New Orleans Saints - QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

• Drew Brees is still a great quarterback, but the fact is he is getting old. Jackson with Alvin Kamara could be a lethal combo in the backfield.

25. Tennessee Titans - OG Will Hernandez, UTEP

• While their tackle situation is one of the best in the league, it's a realistic scenario that neither of the Titans offensive guards return next year. Overshadowed with the Nelson love, Hernandez is an exceptional guard prospect in his own right and likely to bully opposing DT's right out of the gate.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars - TE Mark Andrews, Oklahoma

• No quarterbacks left on the board takes this decision out of the hand of the Jaguars. Bortles has been solid this year and I just have a hard time believing this team laden with great talent wants to sit through the rough patches of a rookie QB. Keep Bortles around on a decent deal and add another weapon like Andrews and this offense should improving, even if just slightly.

27. Los Angeles Rams - LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

• Yesterday made it evident that linebacker isn't a worry with this team but a glaring problem. Smith has been a stud for Georgia this year and should be able to help immediately.

28. Carolina Panthers - WR Courtland Sutton, SMU

• Tough to pinpoint if Cam Newton's struggles throwing the intermediate and deep routes is on him or his receivers, but it does seem to directly correlate to it being the weapons since Greg Olsen hasn't been himself and they dished away Kevlin Benjamin. Sutton has superstar ability but is as raw as they come. 

29. Minnesota Vikings - CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

• Imagine if a talent like Ward fell to the Vikings this late. Doubt it actually happens, but a fairly deep corner draft could cause the top guys to slide. Ward lacks size but makes up for it in spades with fluidity and sound technique.

30. New England Patriots - EDGE Arden Key, LSU

• The Patriots secondary has been great this year with a number of talented corners and safeties. The front seven has not had many standout players though and it's a popular area for the Pats to draft high. Key would be a chance worth taking if he fell this far (will depending on testing). Adding another d-lineman though like Dre'Mont Jones or Derrick Nnadi wouldn't surprise me much here either.

31. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

• Before anybody complains about the Eagles being in the Super Bowl, I go strictly by order at time of writing. Halapoulivaati Vaitai has struggled mightily with Peters being out with a putrid 39.0 grade on PFF. The tackle class is very much up in the air for the #4 slot, but I will slot the All-American here for now although he is likely limited to the right side in the NFL. Jamarco Jones and Brandon Parker offer more potential as a left tackle, while Tyrell Crosby arguably also fits the mold with Brown as NFL Right Tackles.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - DL Taven Bryan, Florida

• Alex Collins balled on this team last night but taking a Ryan Shazier replacement at this point seems like a slight reach with the Edmunds' brothers likely to stay at Virginia Tech and thus making Tremaine not an option here. Continuing to stockpile trench talent would be wise for the Steelers here as Bryan flashes great talent albeit is quite inconsistent.

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

I wouldn't mind Barkley but who starts at QB for Denver?

Who knows. I think they are a good sleeper for Kirk Cousins. If he leaves, he would have to be intrigued by the idea of trying to elevate the QB position in Denver back to it's glory days. We'll see what happens though. Lots of process still to go.

Desmond Trufant has played great, and some other corners have played okay, but this team has four interceptions this year. Jackson is a superb playmaker in the secondary. Safety is a bigger need, but I'm unsure if a fourth safety is going to emerge into the 1st round.

What part of, "the Falcons don't need a first round corner" don't you get? Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford are great starters. They also don't need a first round FS. 
Their biggest need in the draft is at defensive tackle. Here, I'll break the Falcons needs down for you:

Starting Needs

Slot Wide Receiver: Julio Jones is nearing 30 years old. So is Mohamed Sanu. Both players are good, but someone who can eventually replace one of them would be nice to have. On top of that, it wouldn't hurt to get a guy who could play slot or outside so that Sanu can thrive in the slot in 3 WR sets. Taylor Gabriel could get re-signed and make this not a starting need but rather a rotational need instead.

Nose Tackle: Dontari Poe is very good. He also signed just a one year deal. The Falcons need to draft someone to replace him should he not re-sign.

Pass-rushing DE/DT hybrid: See what Michael Bennett does. Atlanta needs someone like that to play SDE/nickel DT for them. Adrian Clayborn currently is in that role, but it would help the Falcons to draft someone for it.

Kicker: Matt Bryant is in his final season with Atlanta unless something drastic changes for the 43-year old. Atlanta could take one as early as the 5th round.

Rotational Needs

Fullback: Derrick Coleman only signed a one-year deal. Don't give the Falcons a fullback in the draft. They won't take one.

Tight End: An all-around tight end to complement Austin Hooper in the Falcons offense is definitely needed. Levine Toilolo is mediocre as a receiver and Eric Saubert is just a guy. This could be a good position to find someone BPA for Atlanta in the second or third rounds.

Cornerback: Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford and Brian Poole look like a good group moving forward. But there could always be some additional depth added in the later rounds. Falcons prefer larger, rangier corners. The cut of Jalen Collins suggests that the Falcons would look at a potential nickel type in the offseason as well.

BTW, the Falcons only have 4 INTs because they've had 4 called back from penalties throughout the year. Not because they aren't getting them. And you don't take a nickel corner in the 1st round for that reason. I get that you want to sound smart, but neither Safety nor cornerback are first round needs. First round needs are WR (slot guy who can eventually replace Sanu in the starting lineup), NT to replace Dontari Poe or a SDE who can slide inside to DT to replace Clayborn.

I have no problems with Mark Andrews as a player but i really feel that Courtland Sutton(jags could be losing arob, lee as free agents and could look to release/trade hurns who can be cut with no cap ramifications.) Would really set up future qb with a good number 1 wr potentially or at worst an elite number 2 guy. 

I also think the jags could look at orlando Brown to upgrade the offensive line as Parnell has been solid but hes turning past his prime and could be cut. 

I think the jags could look at arden Key as well even tho it appears we dont need him but it would be more towards bpa

• Desmond Trufant has played great, and some other corners have played okay, but this team has four interceptions this year. Jackson is a superb playmaker in the secondary. Safety is a bigger need, but I'm unsure if a fourth safety is going to emerge into the 1st round.

A CB or Safety aren't early round needs our secondary is doing extremely well for us and our top 3 are pretty much set and doing great.   We are a top 6 pass defense in the entire league and that is a massive strength for us this year.   We are a top 8 defense overall but the weakest spot for us would be run defense up the middle. 

Deion jones is an outstanding LB but he can get washed out in plays if lineman make it pass our DL.  His best strength is his coverage and his tackling when he can run free.  The best thing for him would probably be at WLB for us in our scheme at this point.   What we really need is a elite tackling MLB to allow him to move to WLB and excell which in turn puts Campbell back to SLB where he should have always been and allowing Beasley to go back to DE and rush the passer instead of being in coverage all the time.

Here is a legit list of Falcons needs you should follow and go by

OG - Levitre is do for another pay day and Wes just hasn't cut it at RG so far.  If we can upgrade the OL early with more talent im all for it.

ILB - Can upgrade so many positions with just this 1 pick.

DT/DE -  Bigger DE that can stop the run and slide in as a pass rushing DT on pass rush downs.  If Poe leaves then a big NT would be high on the list as well.

WR/Returner - As Scar said earlier we could use a WR incase Gabriel leaves and one to replace Roberts who has been underwhelming for us as a returner.

TE - Hooper isn't a bad TE but he does make quite a few mistakes and could be upgraded.  Levine Toiollo is a elite Blocker and a surprisingly good deep threat bc no one pays attention to him.  But if we could steal a elite TE that drops and can upgrade the position making those our #2 and #3 guys im not gonna hate it.  But it would take a really good prospect for me to go TE early over other positions.  Like a 1st round guy falling to our 2nd round pick.

Depth picks would be

CB, FS, OT, and RB can be upgraded for sure.  I'll say this about CB, FS, and RB where as we are perfectly fine with our starters.  If again like TE a great early round talent fell to our 3rd or 4th pick i wouldn't be against taking one there as good depth and incase of injury.

If chubb fell to the 2nd or 3rd round to us i might just have to bite depending on who else was available there.  Those concussions with Freeman have me worried and Coleman will be coming up on a big pay day soon.  I don't know if we pay 2 backs top money thats gonna be hard to do.

With who was available at our pick  their would and should be no hesitation on a player of Roquan Smith's talents going past us when he is 1. a huge fan favorite in georgia, 2. it upgrades like 3 other positions with just that 1 pick. and 3. He is one of the best tacklers and run defenders in this draft which is our biggest problem on defense right now.

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Safety isn’t a need for the redskins.  Swearinger and Nicholson have been good  starters.  Bad pick.

I wouldn't say two guys that are ranked 45th and 48th, respectively, among safeties in the league by PFF have been "good starters." They are okay but I'm sure they would love to fill the void Cravens left if they could get a similar player.

9 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I wouldn't say two guys that are ranked 45th and 48th, respectively, among safeties in the league by PFF have been "good starters." They are okay but I'm sure they would love to fill the void Cravens left if they could get a similar player.

Cravens played a MLB/D hybrid role for us, James is nothing like that.  Swearinger has taken over in the traditional SS role, and Nicholson is our deep cover safety.  We don’t need another safety.  It’s one of the lowest needs on the Redskins list.

OLB, NT, LG, MLB, WR and HB are all substantially bigger needs.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Cravens played a MLB/D hybrid role for us, James is nothing like that.  Swearinger has taken over in the traditional SS role, and Nicholson is our deep cover safety.  We don’t need another safety.  It’s one of the lowest needs on the Redskins list.

OLB, NT, LG, MLB, WR and HB are all substantially bigger needs.

How is James nothing like that? He plays strictly as a box safety at Florida State. His play style coming out is very reminiscent of the likes of Cravens and Deone Bucannon, both of which filled that hybrid role.

3 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

How is James nothing like that? He plays strictly as a box safety at Florida State. His play style coming out is very reminiscent of the likes of Cravens and Deone Bucannon, both of which filled that hybrid role.

D.J. Swearinger already plays that role.  Watch a Redskins game sometime.  The Defense needs a pass rusher opposite Kerrigan that is actually good, a starting MLB to either play next to or replace Zach Brown, and a starting NT.  

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

D.J. Swearinger already plays that role.  Watch a Redskins game sometime.  The Defense needs a pass rusher opposite Kerrigan that is actually good, a starting MLB to either play next to or replace Zach Brown, and a starting NT.  

And Swearinger has been an average player. There is a reason he is 26 and on his fourth team.

Archived