Duck's Mock Draft 2.0

Da_Ducktator

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok whatever.  It’s a bad pick for the Redskins, but it’s your mock so do whatever you want.  

Lol its funny watching you defend two completely average players that could easily be upgraded.  You do know teams dont always draft their #1 need in the first round. correct?

No complaints about this for the Lions. We can't run the ball to save our lives. Stafford has carried the offense for way too long. Riddick is great in his role and quite underrated. However, he's not a between the tackles runner that will get you tough yards.

The 49ers are supposedly going offense heavy in this draft since they went defense heavy last year. A lot will depend on free agency though. I'm hoping that we shift Ward back to corner, where he was actually pretty good, and sign a guy in free agency to alleviate that need. Witherspoon has been okay and obviously is just a rookie, so I'd take my chances with Ward / Witherspoon / decent free agent.  Until that happens though, this pick could make some sense. Love his versatility, but he'd be locked in at corner for us - not sure if that's worth number 4 overall...I don't know that He's a Lattimore-esque cover corner, which is kind of what I would want if I'm going that high.  

Personally, I'm living and dying on the Nelson + 49ers. It's the pick that makes the most sense to me for us to me, and I think he's a top 5 prospect in this draft.  I think that there is a shot that we get bypassed in the draft by a couple more teams, and we end up in that 5-7 range as opposed to top 3/4, which would definitely make a pick like Nelson more likely at that point since teams do appear to be reticent about drafting guards that high. But again, that's all supposition. Lots of moving parts still. 

Wouldn't hate the pick of Fitzpatrick, just hoping that we go in a different direction and solve that problem through other means. 

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

Lol its funny watching you defend two completely average players that could easily be upgraded.  You do know teams dont always draft their #1 need in the first round. correct?

You do know its pretty silly to take a safety when a team is significantly lacking in its front 7 right?  We also just signed Swearinger to a FA contract this past year and spent a 4th round pick on Nicholson (who has played well in his rookie season).  We aren't going to just dump those guys.  You upgrade the front 7 and everyone in the back end will look better.  

17 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Love Nelson.  We need a LT and a OC more, but there's round two.....

The thing is the Bengals don’t put top 10 pick value on the guard position. And as we saw with Zeitler, even if they did use a draft pick on him, they won’t pay the price to keep him. McGlinchey is someone they would be more likely to invest in for the long term. 

13 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Not always but the Falcons have a really good track record of taking our biggest needs in the 1st 3 rounds almost every time lol.   Dimitroff himself in multiple interviews said we are a needs based drafting team and then we take BPA at the biggest needs.     I would imagine if we had 2 players very similar ranked almost dead even then what we consider the bigger of the 2 needs would get taken 1st or probably whichever position is deeper they would skip on and take the weaker position in the draft 1st maybe.

15 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

The thing is the Bengals don’t put top 10 pick value on the guard position. And as we saw with Zeitler, even if they did use a draft pick on him, they won’t pay the price to keep him. McGlinchey is someone they would be more likely to invest in for the long term. 

I'm aware of that.  Maybe they learned something from this year's OL disaster.  

And just because they don't re-sign a player down the line doesn't mean you ignore a generational talent that you still can have for 5 years of team control at a bargain price, compared to open market signings.

And for the record, I think McGlinthey is going to end up at RT due to inability to handle speed rushers (you know, just like Ogbuehi).  If we are taking a RT, give me a trade back and Orlando Brown all day.

Pretty awful pick for the Steelers considering how many needs we have and that DLine is our strongest and arguably deepest position.   Unless there was an elite NT coming out, which there isnt, there is no way we go DLine, especially a guy who would just be a 5 tech to sit behind two guys we have signed long term, and we use alot of subpackages that takes them off the field.

QB, RB if Bell leaves, TE, OLB, ILB, CB and both safety positions are all much bigger needs.      

7 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Not always but the Falcons have a really good track record of taking our biggest needs in the 1st 3 rounds almost every time lol.   Dimitroff himself in multiple interviews said we are a needs based drafting team and then we take BPA at the biggest needs.     I would imagine if we had 2 players very similar ranked almost dead even then what we consider the bigger of the 2 needs would get taken 1st or probably whichever position is deeper they would skip on and take the weaker position in the draft 1st maybe.

That guy was talking about the Redskins pick?

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm aware of that.  Maybe they learned something from this year's OL disaster.  

And just because they don't re-sign a player down the line doesn't mean you ignore a generational talent that you still can have for 5 years of team control at a bargain price, compared to open market signings.

And for the record, I think McGlinthey is going to end up at RT due to inability to handle speed rushers (you know, just like Ogbuehi).  If we are taking a RT, give me a trade back and Orlando Brown all day.

I'd be fine with Nelson in rd one, then come back and get Billy Price in rd 2

I understand the Christian Wilkins pick because DT depth is an issue, but David Irving has emerged as a legit 3T for Dallas moving forward, and they still have Maliek Collins who rotates between 1T/3T.  If Dallas drafts a DT it'll probably be a 1T, and most likely not in the 1st Round. 

I think Dallas would take Roquan Smith there given Sean Lee's age/injury history.  The issues at LB really showed up when he was out of the lineup this season.  Roquan is tailor made for their scheme.

1 hour ago, TheFinisher said:

I understand the Christian Wilkins pick because DT depth is an issue, but David Irving has emerged as a legit 3T for Dallas moving forward, and they still have Maliek Collins who rotates between 1T/3T.  If Dallas drafts a DT it'll probably be a 1T, and most likely not in the 1st Round. 

I think Dallas would take Roquan Smith there given Sean Lee's age/injury history.  The issues at LB really showed up when he was out of the lineup this season.  Roquan is tailor made for their scheme.

I appreciate the comment and get where you're coming from as well. However, Maliek Collins has been miserable. This is speaking as a Cowboys fan and in regards to his grades (ranked 103rd among interior defensive lineman). He'll flash a play or two every game it feels like that makes you think, "maybe someday!" But the majority of the other plays are not very good. I do like David Irving, but let's be honest, he plays a unique, hybrid role on that D-Line and Wilkins would bring much more as a pure, inside presence.

I do think Roquan would be an interesting fit. Let's remember though that Lee tested insanely well (37.5" vert and 120" broad jump both rank 85+ percentile) and was a little bit bigger than what Roquan is listed at, although there has been reports that despite his 225 listing, he has been playing around 230. Who knows until Indy. But testing for Roquan will be key. The Cowboys play a lot of looks with 5 DB's and in a division that may still have two top 10 QB's next year (Cousins & Wentz), having only two starting LB's is all that is needed and Jaylon Smith keeps getting better and better and Hitchens is a solid player. Jaylon has potential to make the same impact as Lee and Hitchens has some Bradie James to his game.

I think a safety could be in play as well at the pick because unfortunately, Bryon Jones just has not lived up to expectations and it sucks to say and Jeff Heath isn't exactly a great answer as a starting option either. I just thought Wilkins is also tailor-made for that Marinelli scheme. Rod is up there in age though and we'll see if he returns after the Cowboys likely miss the playoffs.

Archived