Duck's Mock Draft 2.0

Da_Ducktator

26 minutes ago, indifference said:

Slowly accepting the fact Chubb for Tampa is a pipe-dream. Ferrell is worth a shot at pick 8 here as your explanation for the pick suffices.

In class that seems to lack a true elite talent at a premium position (QB, OT, EDGE), Chubb is arguably the closest thing to it. As long as he doesn't bombing testing, the guy is a great defensive end on tape who comes from a strong football family. Probably falls somewhere between Chris Long and Everson Griffen in terms of what to expect out of a pro career (Long been a consistent, solid rusher while Griffen has been very good for a few years but has emerged into a borderline elite talent this year).

4 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

In class that seems to lack a true elite talent at a premium position (QB, OT, EDGE), Chubb is arguably the closest thing to it. As long as he doesn't bombing testing, the guy is a great defensive end on tape who comes from a strong football family. Probably falls somewhere between Chris Long and Everson Griffen in terms of what to expect out of a pro career (Long been a consistent, solid rusher while Griffen has been very good for a few years but has emerged into a borderline elite talent this year).

Yeah, I think he is a great DE prospect. Great pass rusher and he is tremendous vs the run too. I'm hoping the Colts win a couple of games to mess their draft selection up because I can't see them passing him up.

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm aware of that.  Maybe they learned something from this year's OL disaster.  

And just because they don't re-sign a player down the line doesn't mean you ignore a generational talent that you still can have for 5 years of team control at a bargain price, compared to open market signings.

And for the record, I think McGlinthey is going to end up at RT due to inability to handle speed rushers (you know, just like Ogbuehi).  If we are taking a RT, give me a trade back and Orlando Brown all day.

Learned something?  We are still talking about Mike Brown. Never say never, but I’ll be stunned if we take a guard in the top 10. 

6 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

That guy was talking about the Redskins pick?

I know i was just stating it as a some teams do that type thing.  More of a blanket statement even though i went in depth about it for some reason  on us XD.   With that said it's good knowledge to know for mock drafters such as yaself to know drafting styles of certain GM's going forward though.  It does nothing but help you out my friend ;)

On 12/13/2017 at 1:02 PM, FalconFan13 said:

I know i was just stating it as a some teams do that type thing.  More of a blanket statement even though i went in depth about it for some reason  on us XD.   With that said it's good knowledge to know for mock drafters such as yaself to know drafting styles of certain GM's going forward though.  It does nothing but help you out my friend ;)

To be honest, I tried charting it at one time, but barring maybe 10-15% of GM's, no one lasts long enough to get a truly solid sample-size beyond some very, very general tendencies - even in the instances where they outright "say" what their strategy is, that's honestly something that ought to be checked against actual production (so to speak) before just taking them at their word (after all, the draft occurs during liars season and there's no honor among thieves; it's not like these guys are paid to outmaneuver their peers).  I think it's generally easier to play the elimination game in limiting the pool of potential players within a particular position (i.e. certain teams flat out will not touch guys with character/arrest/drug histories, teams whose GM's learned at the knee of Ron Wolf very much tend to favor the guys who are the H/W/S guys, Seattle - among a few assorted others - put a heavy emphasis on SPARQ scores) than it is to rule in/out specific positions for teams.

I mean, just as an example, I can tell you that in studying Tom Telesco he tends (and I still can't say it as a definite even though he's verbally said this much) to use his 1st round pick annually to address what was perceived as the biggest weakness of the previous season's team.  However, I couldn't tell you what that weakness was perceived to be (I could wager an educated guess) and even then it could very well be more of a conceptual weakness rather than a position-specific one (i.e. "run defense," or "red-zone offense").

On 12/11/2017 at 4:46 PM, Da_Ducktator said:
  •  

6. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) - OT Brian O'Neill, Pittsburgh

• After re-watching O'Neill, I think he is clearly the best tackle prospect in the class. He could end up flirting with a very high grade and be in talks for the Giants at #2. O'Neill is an athletic tackle prospect and could have the opportunity to learn under Joe Thomas for a year or slide right in at RT. Would be huge for the Browns to go from Thomas to another potential franchise LT.

Nope. This is too high for a slight upgrade at RT when we have a ton of holes elsewhere. This is a bad pick any way you slice it. 

Why are we drafting future replacements for our superstars instead of drafting replacements for our terrible players?

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

To be honest, I tried charting it at one time, but barring maybe 10-15% of GM's, no one lasts long enough to get a truly solid sample-size beyond some very, very general tendencies - even in the instances where they outright "say" what their strategy is, that's honestly something that ought to be checked against actual production (so to speak) before just taking them at their word (after all, the draft occurs during liars season and there's no honor among thieves; it's not like these guys are paid to outmaneuver their peers).  I think it's generally easier to play the elimination game in limiting the pool of potential players within a particular position (i.e. certain teams flat out will not touch guys with character/arrest/drug histories, teams whose GM's learned at the knee of Ron Wolf very much tend to favor the guys who are the H/W/S guys, Seattle - among a few assorted others - put a heavy emphasis on SPARQ scores) than it is to rule in/out specific positions for teams.

I mean, just as an example, I can tell you that in studying Tom Telesco he tends (and I still can't say it as a definite even though he's verbally said this much) to use his 1st round pick annually to address what was perceived as the biggest weakness of the previous season's team.  However, I couldn't tell you what that weakness was perceived to be (I could wager an educated guess) and even then it could very well be more of a conceptual weakness rather than a position-specific one (i.e. "run defense," or "red-zone offense").

That would be really cool to do a chart of all that i might actually attempt to try that it has me intrigued.   But yeah im with you in agreeing that most GM's don't stay around long enough to even get a idea on to chart it out with as much turnover that happens in this league.  Then you have them going through coach's every year and i think every GM atleast attempts to coexist with coach's in the way they draft certain players and positions.

Luckily alot of us Falcon fans got a good read on Dimi at this point and surprisingly he is a man of his word for the most part in the way he goes about drafting.   The biggest difference i can tell so far under Quinn compared to the rest of the coach's he has been with is that Quinn tell's him exactly the type of players he wants for his schemes and style so our picks lately have hit alot more and been perfect fits for us.    I think Smitty was more of just a get me a talented guy and i can make it work person maybe so their probably wasn't as much input as Quinn is giving.   I've picked quite a few of the Falcons draft picks correctly over the last few years.   I nailed the Beasley, Neal, Jones, and Takk picks for sure in my mock drafts.   Plus everyone here knows and probably got tired of me arguing with them for those guys xD  Although i will say the Neal pick and the Jones pick i had to us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but i knew the type of guys we liked.

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

That would be really cool to do a chart of all that i might actually attempt to try that it has me intrigued.   But yeah im with you in agreeing that most GM's don't stay around long enough to even get a idea on to chart it out with as much turnover that happens in this league.  Then you have them going through coach's every year and i think every GM atleast attempts to coexist with coach's in the way they draft certain players and positions.

Luckily alot of us Falcon fans got a good read on Dimi at this point and surprisingly he is a man of his word for the most part in the way he goes about drafting.   The biggest difference i can tell so far under Quinn compared to the rest of the coach's he has been with is that Quinn tell's him exactly the type of players he wants for his schemes and style so our picks lately have hit alot more and been perfect fits for us.    I think Smitty was more of just a get me a talented guy and i can make it work person maybe so their probably wasn't as much input as Quinn is giving.   I've picked quite a few of the Falcons draft picks correctly over the last few years.   I nailed the Beasley, Neal, Jones, and Takk picks for sure in my mock drafts.   Plus everyone here knows and probably got tired of me arguing with them for those guys xD  Although i will say the Neal pick and the Jones pick i had to us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but i knew the type of guys we liked.

I'd actually be interested, ahem paging @scar988, in seeing a pre-Quinn and post-Quinn chart of Dmitroff's picks and how they (potentially) differ in terms of trends.  Would be interesting to see and chart for other GM's that have last multiple coaches.

Just now, The LBC said:

I'd actually be interested, ahem paging @scar988, in seeing a pre-Quinn and post-Quinn chart of Dmitroff's picks and how they (potentially) differ in terms of trends.  Would be interesting to see and chart for other GM's that have last multiple coaches.

Hmm Scar would def. be the guy who could probably chart them out the best he is very good with analytics stuff and breaking it down. Im not bad at it but i would say he is the better of the 2 of us at things like that.   We both have out strengths to when we talk about the draft i think he is fantastic at the secondary and skill positions when he does things.  I rarely question him on that to often.  He has personally said how good i am in the trenches and figuring out who's really good and bets fits for us which i dang well should be i played in the trenches the whole time i played football outside of 1 year at FB lol.   Me and him won't always agree on picks but we both do have different styles we like even if both players do fit our scheme lol.  He wasn't a big Takk fan last year and i was all over Takk as my guy.   I'll talk to him and see if he wants to do something like this and get with ya on it bro.

I prefer Darnold but would still be okay with Rosen. I hate the second pick for the Browns, though. Unless Thomas announces his retirement before the draft, then there's no way we should take an OT in the first round. Give me a DB.

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

Thing is, they don't really differ in terms of trends. They got more athletic, but Dimitroff already took highly athletic guys. The big difference is how well each guy fits a role within the scheme for the year they are drafted or for the next year. One thing that has never changed is the first round picks are always drafted to be instant starters as rookies (except Takk actually didn't win the job over Adrian Clayborn this year)

2008 - Matt Ryan and Sam Baker

2009 - Peria Jerry

2010 - Sean Weatherspoon

2011 - Julio Jones

2013 - Desmond Trufant

2014 - Jake Matthews

2015 - Vic Beasley

2016 - Keanu Neal

2017 - Takk McKinley

Outside of Weatherspoon and Jerry, everyone else is still starting for the team.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Thing is, they don't really differ in terms of trends. They got more athletic, but Dimitroff already took highly athletic guys. The big difference is how well each guy fits a role within the scheme for the year they are drafted or for the next year. One thing that has never changed is the first round picks are always drafted to be instant starters as rookies (except Takk actually didn't win the job over Adrian Clayborn this year)

2008 - Matt Ryan and Sam Baker

2009 - Peria Jerry

2010 - Sean Weatherspoon

2011 - Julio Jones

2013 - Desmond Trufant

2014 - Jake Matthews

2015 - Vic Beasley

2016 - Keanu Neal

2017 - Takk McKinley

Outside of Weatherspoon and Jerry, everyone else is still starting for the team.

To me that proves how well we have done over the years lately at drafting and picking up FA's.  When we can finally start drafting for elite depth behind really good starters in Clayborn thats exactly what teams dream about imo.   That way when the older vet starts to die down or ask for big money you got a guy with some experience ready to replace him that could very well be better than the vet wanting big money after a few years learning under the vet.

Archived