Rapaport: Expect Bears to retain Eberflus as head coach in 2024

G08

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He's right. The bar is always so low for this organization. Keep living in 1985, jamokes

Can I ask one thing?

”win games, make playoffs all the time”

Disregarding that we had the second best win% jump this year and were just outside the playoffs, what franchises actually live up to the second half of that “standard”? 

I think if you actually look the reality of that bar in the face, you will see how extreme it actually is, ESPECIALLY in a salary cap league specifically designed for parity.

Should it be a bit more attainable with a 3rd WC? Sure but that’s brand new from the start of this rebuild. If you want to say “always in the hunt” I can accept that, but just assuming we should ALWAYS be in the playoffs is the old blockhead/Nebraska Cornhuskers stuff I have brought up before. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Can I ask one thing?

”win games, make playoffs all the time”

Disregarding that we had the second best win% jump this year and were just outside the playoffs, what franchises actually live up to the second half of that “standard”? 

I think if you actually look the reality of that bar in the face, you will see how extreme it actually is, ESPECIALLY in a salary cap league specifically designed for parity.

Should it be a bit more attainable with a 3rd WC? Sure but that’s brand new from the start of this rebuild. If you want to say “always in the hunt” I can accept that, but just assuming we should ALWAYS be in the playoffs is the old blockhead/Nebraska Cornhuskers stuff I have brought up before. 

I think his point is that we've heard this before and not that all that you mentioned should've happened this year. No matter what regime is in place we've heard about playing hard, the history (the whopping ONE Super Bowl), good defense, run the ball, being proud of being a Bear, and all of that other crap. Do the Chiefs, Steelers, etc expect just playing hard and do you think Mahomes/Tomlin give a f*** about their last championship right now? They expect results NOW.

Let me ask you as a former Rams fan: when the Rams kept hiring s*** coach after s*** coach, were you consistently positive? Linehan, Spagnuolo, etc? The message gets old especially when it revolves around the past and/or the way the game USED to be played.

I don't think anyone expects the playoffs every year, but as the fOuNdInG fRaNcHiSe why can't the Bears be like the god damn Seahawks? From 2012-2023, they missed the playoffs 3x only, won a championship and won the conference twice.

Edited by beardown3231

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Poles"And the last thing, the most important piece is we're gonna take the North and never give it back."

Harbaugh:  "It needs to be multiple, multiple championships," Harbaugh said in his first news conference as Chargers head coach

Chargers have a proven franchise QB already so they're way ahead of Chicago. Bears haven't even had back-to-back winning seasons 2005 and 2006. Goal is always to win championships, but let's just hope they can make the Bears a seemingly competent organization for the first time in almost 20 years. They've been a joke of an organization since Vainisi and Tobin were forced out... so 30ish years.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Chargers have a proven franchise QB already so they're way ahead of Chicago. Bears haven't even had back-to-back winning seasons 2005 and 2006. Goal is always to win championships, but let's just hope they can make the Bears a seemingly competent organization for the first time in almost 20 years. They've been a joke of an organization since Vainisi and Tobin were forced out... so 30ish years.

A proven franchise QB has nothing to do with it, it's the mentality. For Poles winning the North is good enough, for Harbaugh it's winning multiple championships. Had Harbaugh been hired here he would have said that same thing. Give me that guy every time.

And, probably why they didn't want Harbaugh anywhere near the organization.

Edited by dafreak

3 minutes ago, dafreak said:

A proven franchise QB has nothing to do with it, it's the mentality. For Poles winning the North is good enough, for Harbaugh it's winning multiple championships. Had Harbaugh been hired here he would have said that same thing. Give me that guy every time.

And, probably why they didn't want Harbaugh anywhere near the organization.

A massive stretch there. Emery and Trestman stated the goal was to win championships. That "mentality" did squat for them.

Look I wanted Harbaugh too, I wanted him when the Bears ended up hiring Eberflus. He is 100% the better coach too. BUt trying to say Poles just wants to win the North and will be happy is nonsense.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/final-bears-grades-ryan-poles-matt-eberflus

Two feelings GM Ryan Poles expressed at season's end properly encapsulated the 2023 Bears season.

"One was there was a little disappointed," Poles said. "I wish there were some games that we finished. I really wished we finished those games and took this thing to a higher level than where we are now, because at the end of the day our goal is to win championships and to win the division, and we came up short of that."

I mean there, now we can all be happy because of lip service. Woot. lol

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

A massive stretch there. Emery and Trestman stated the goal was to win championships. That "mentality" did squat for them.

Look I wanted Harbaugh too, I wanted him when the Bears ended up hiring Eberflus. He is 100% the better coach too. BUt trying to say Poles just wants to win the North and will be happy is nonsense.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/final-bears-grades-ryan-poles-matt-eberflus

I mean there, now we can all be happy because of lip service. Woot. lol

Fair points, we will remain a poverty franchise.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dafreak said:

It isn't obvious?

no, that's why i asked. isn't that obvious?

are you saying:

1) every coach/GM says this when they're hired

2) lol Poles said this but he clearly doesn't care because he kept eberflus but he could have hired harbaugh who has the same goal

3) something else