Rapaport: Expect Bears to retain Eberflus as head coach in 2024

G08

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. 

I tend to look at what the QB is solely (so to speak, someone has to catch for him, block for him, etc) responsible for. Is Fields a 10-27 QB? Yes. Is he a guy that SHOULD be a 10-27 QB? Hell no. His defense being bad for 1 year and downright pathetic for 1.5 years of his career has led to his win/loss total. Just as Tru is a 29-21 QB in CHI, he wasn't WHY they were in the position as much as a beneficiary of elite defense for a good time. 

I think the concern is as always that when he gets his megadeal (assuming he would be extended at some point) could you surround him with the talent he needs to succeed while also affording an average or better defense. Hard to really factor since there are so many variables. 

Don’t we over blow this like crazy? Dallas has had a highly paid QB, RB, WR(s), TE, LT, LG and several defenders for years. Have they ever had to not sign guys because of cap space? 

34 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Don’t we over blow this like crazy? Dallas has had a highly paid QB, RB, WR(s), TE, LT, LG and several defenders for years. Have they ever had to not sign guys because of cap space? 

I normally agree but I think DAL has pretty consistently drafter the most high-priced positions better than CHI over the last 10+ years. So before Wright the Bears best drafted OT was Leno since 2000. Williams kicked inside because he wasn't a good OT, Long kicked inside because of whatever reason (I still think he and Mills should have been swapped but it is what it is), and Carimi was a bust (largely due to injury). When it comes to EDGE the Bears have drafted Leonard Floyd then who is the next best EDGE the Bears have drafted since 2000? I'd say Alex Brown. Those are hardly inspiring guys, so the Bears have had to go out to get Mack, Peppers, Adewale, etc. Bears have been able to get a few studs like Harris, Tillman, Urlacher,  Briggs, Hester and Forte that were core players for 5+ years, but then you're looking at a few guys that had short but explosive success. Brown, EJax, Melton, Long, Fuller, Olsen and even Jeffrey didn't get agree to a 2nd contract with CHI. Smith was a headcase and was traded before his 2nd contract was due. There were a few guys with promise like Whitehair and Daniels, Goldman, Knox (injury), etc. 

CHI has been really bad at drafting over the last 20+ years, and their best players are often from FA or trades. Half the Bears defense in 2018 was even. DAL has drafted MUCH better than CHI so they can afford to pay these guys and let talents like Connor Williams and Schultz walk with little issue. That's why they have been able to afford Romo and Prescott's deals IMO. 

Hopefully Poles corrects that issue, his two drafts (and Pace's last 2) seem like the best 4 year stretch this century. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Amari Cooper?

I guess, but really what they did was replace Cooper’s contract with Gallup’s, while also having the benefit of having Lamb still on a rookie deal. If we trade 1 and move forward with Fields we’ll have 2 firsts in 2024, 2025 and maybe 2026 with which to add 5-year cost controlled players at several premium positions that would very much offset having one giant QB contract if we are fortunate enough to be in position to have to give one out.

51 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

CHI has been really bad at drafting over the last 20+ years, and their best players are often from FA or trades. Half the Bears defense in 2018 was even. DAL has drafted MUCH better than CHI so they can afford to pay these guys and let talents like Connor Williams and Schultz walk with little issue. That's why they have been able to afford Romo and Prescott's deals IMO. 

The point isn’t whether anyone we take with a half dozen 1s over the next few years in a trade down scenario are great or not - it’s that they’ll be in key spots on the roster at a low cost either way, freeing up for the bigger money to be spent many other places. We can worry about who to resign in 4-5 years when money actually could get tight if we’re lucky enough that we hit on enough of them that’ll need to get paid. 

Very very rarely is DBB wrong and as he said he has flipped his opinion...I doubt that is based on just feeling...probably another indication that the decision has already been made on Flus at least...possibly Fields as well.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Very very rarely is DBB wrong

he's also super opinionated. He's got his guy on the inside, so when he drops things that would likely only come from there, i'll listen. but he's like everyone else when watching the actual games with how he's feeling

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Very very rarely is DBB wrong and as he said he has flipped his opinion...I doubt that is based on just feeling...probably another indication that the decision has already been made on Flus at least...possibly Fields as well.

That site literally just wrote back to back articles saying Fields and Flus need to go within the last few days and making a multi page case for each firing. 

Feels like a lot of media are just trying to hedge their bets and "both sides" this thing so they can claim they where right all along, no matter what happens. 

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

he's also super opinionated. He's got his guy on the inside, so when he drops things that would likely only come from there, i'll listen. but he's like everyone else when watching the actual games with how he's feeling

I’m pretty sure his guy was Ted. Or someone who reported directly to Ted. 

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

That site literally just wrote back to back articles saying Fields and Flus need to go within the last few days and making a multi page case for each firing. 

Feels like a lot of media are just trying to hedge their bets and "both sides" this thing so they can claim they where right all along, no matter what happens. 

The articles were by Schmitz and Wood. They do all the day-to-day content there now. The tweets are Jeff. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 2:06 PM, AZBearsFan said:

That’s Dallas.  They make a lot more $$$ than Bears.  There is salary cap and there is salary cap.   You can structure contracts with cash upfront or add years to future and spread cap hits and have a much more expensive roster than others.

Maybe someday if they get property tax deal and tax payer money to build Bearsland in Arlington Heights.

51 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does anyone know the type of relationship Harbaugh had with Warren when Warren was BigTen commissioner? I’m sure it’s out there but feeling too lazy to look for it. 

I’ve been told not good as far as Warrens feelings on Harbaugh.

This feels more like the McCaskeys showed interest in Harbaugh, and the rest of the decision makers had balked at it. (Mostly because he wants full control) The Bears are a complete afterthought in this article, but I’m sure many of the Fanbase will use it as proof of something 

• Like 1