Cornerbacks

MKnight82

The Redskins Cornerback situation for next year is very interesting.  Here's the guys we'll have under contract and their cap hits next year:

Josh Norman - $17,000,000

Kendall Fuller - $827,106

Fabian Moreau - $794,348

Josh Holsey - $575,239

Bashaud Breeland - Unrestricted Free Agent

Quinton Dunbar - Restricted Free Agent

So retaining Dunbar should be relatively easy and cheap.  We'd be looking at a solid 5 man group even if Breeland leaves.  However, there's another option.  We could cut or trade Josh Norman.  Trading Norman would likely have to be before the draft, in which case we'd only save $8 mil against the cap next year (which includes $9 mil in dead cap).  Or, we could cut him designated post-June 1st, which would actually save the Redskins $14 mil in cap next year.  

Now the downside to cutting him is obviously we'd be releasing one of the best CBs in the NFL for no compensation.  Another thing to consider is that due to Norman's contract structure, his cap hit is actually decreasing the next two years.  He'll count $17 mil against the cap in 2018, but only $14.5 mil in 2019 and $15.5 mil in 2020.  Releasing Norman would also leave the team without a proven #1 CB.  I really don't think cutting Norman is a smart move, and I'd be fully against it.  He's just too value to release for nothing. 

However, removing Norman from the books could give the team the cap space to retain Breeland.  Is Breeland a #1 CB?  I'm not so sure.  I would guess that Breeland should be significantly more affordable than Norman though.  

So then here's your options:

Option 1

2nd or 3rd round pick received for Josh Norman

Breeland resigns for big deal using the $8 mil savings from Norman, becomes new #1

Fuller/Moreau become new #2-3s

Option 2

Breeland leaves

Norman remains as #1 CB

Fuller/Moreau become new #2-3s

I'm probably still leaning towards Option 2.  We'd be left where we were before Norman came, having no CB talented enough to go up against #1 WRs.  We'd essentially be creating a hole at the top of our depth chart, and praying Breeland can fill it.  Using a first round pick to compete for that #1 spot is pointless too IMO, cause you'd basically be saying the two 3rd round picks we just took next have a chance at becoming starters.  

Anyways, what do you guys think?

If you cut/trade Norman, you have an enormous hole at corner that you would have to dedicate a draft pick to or some serious money in free agency.

If you go free agency, you are basically adding Norman's dead cap hit (9 million) to whatever contract you sign. And while that's only a one year hit, it still will put whoever you sign up into the same price range as Norman. Long term, perhaps that is a good idea, but that pretty much means you will downgrade next season. And yes, I do believe Norman is having a down year. I think the rib injury is affecting him more than he wants to admit. Couple that with a bad defensive scheme and he isn't shutting down his guy. Again, I'm not necessarily opposed to cutting him, but you're going to pay one way or another.

They cannot take a corner in the first round unless one of two things happens:

1. They trade back for an enormous haul. The problem with this is it relies too much on Allen making the right decision.

2. There is literally no better player. The problem with this is that this draft has a lot of top tier talent but not at corner.

I'm expecting the Redskins to end up with a top 10 pick. That pick has to be prioritized. While I don't believe in reaching to fill a need, you can't go taking something you don't need when something you do need is on the board and worth the pick. Payne, Key,  Chubb, and Roquon Smith are all better talents and at least one of them should be available when the Skins pick. Improving this team's pass rush and ability to stuff the run will go a long way to improving the secondary.

Let Breeland walk. Let his new contract help us in 2019 with a comp pick. Moreau was drafted to be his replacement. Keep Norman. But if he continues to give up next year like he did this game, then get rid of him before his last contract year. The rest...keep

I’d trade Norman to a team that could use a #1 corner and re-sign Breeland. I love Norman but I think it’s more advantageous to go with youth over experience when we’re still building and developing through the draft. I’ve never jumped up and down about Norman’s contract, he’s a good player but I don’t think he’s All-pro level and if you’re getting paid $20 million to play corner you better be Deion Sanders and he’s not that type of playmaker.

Moreau and Fuller can easily be seen as Norman’s replacement instead of Breeland’s. They set Norman’s deal up to be able to get out of it  or move it this year or next, if we can trade him I’d do it. Use that draft pick on a DL, ILB, WR, C/OG or RB and go forward with youth.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’d trade Norman to a team that could use a #1 corner and re-sign Breeland. I love Norman but I think it’s more advantageous to go with youth over experience when we’re still building and developing through the draft. I’ve never jumped up and down about Norman’s contract, he’s a good player but I don’t think he’s All-pro level and if you’re getting paid $20 million to play corner you better be Deion Sanders and he’s not that type of playmaker.

Moreau and Fuller can easily be seen as Norman’s replacement instead of Breeland’s. They set Norman’s deal up to be able to get out of it  or move it this year or next, if we can trade him I’d do it. Use that draft pick on a DL, ILB, WR, C/OG or RB and go forward with youth.

Ya, two 3rd round picks can EASILY replace one of the best cover corners in the league.  9_9

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's us.

And Breeland isn't a number 1

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh turtle, come on bro. You do not "love" Norman lol

On 12/11/2017 at 11:27 PM, MKnight82 said:

Ya, two 3rd round picks can EASILY replace one of the best cover corners in the league.  9_9

He’s been average this year. Fuller has been our best corner, and Moreau has a lot of potential.

Why not re-sign the younger Breeland if he and Norman are grading out about the same and trade Norman or make him a June 1st cut and use the $10 million saved on a great NT or ILB to go next to Brown?

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Oh turtle, come on bro. You do not "love" Norman lol

You misunderstand criticism and my thoughts on what’s best for the team in the long term vs me not liking a guy. I don’t hate Norman - as I think it was Dashing said one time or maybe it was RIPSean - I honestly don’t hate anyone except I did hate the Shanahan’s for their inability to have the personalities to handle Qbs.  

But, if a guy is getting paid $20 million or near it the next few years after this to be the #1 or at least a top 5 corner in the league and he’s not, it’s a huge waste of our resources when we could go young and then be use that $ on a NT or an ILB who will stop the run, actually cover TEs & RBs and put pressure on the Qb. 

Archived