Finale GDT - Bears/Packers

beardown3231

9 hours ago, Epyon said:

The fans, honestly.  60k drunk people at Soldier Field chanting "we want Justin" isn't the kind of statement that GMs or Owners are likely to ignore, even if (in my opinion) Fields is an extremely dangerous bet longer term. Especially when there's also so many locker room voices echoing that sentiment.

The fanbase in general is extremely reactionary, and the "stock price" among the fans largely depends on what happened in the most recent played game. Last week, he had arguably the game of his career..... and I'll be honest with you, if last week's game was the final game of the season, I don't see any way he wouldn't be kept longer term. Those final impressions of someone in a season are more powerful than you're giving credit to among the fans, and likely the owners as well. The wildcards of course being both Poles and Warren..... I'm fairly certain Poles was at least considering Caleb this coming draft class when he did the deal with Carolina last year, after all Caleb at that time was a massively better prospect than Bryce or Stroud (though Stroud's consensus evaluation was clearly off), but who knows where his heart was  at this year..... Warren on the other hand, the real question is how involved he really is.

If Poles is any good at this job, I'm pretty sure he won't pay anything other than lip service to what fans think.  If they move on from Justin, I'd bet he makes some nice sounds about "how hard it was, especially knowing what Justin means to fans, but we're doing what's best for the org..." but a chant on a Sunday should hopefully mean exactly nothing to his evaluation.  

Pretty sure they have had their evaluation done for a while and their direction chosen.  The Packers game is just the punctuation at the end of the season.  The only one who I feel might suddenly get affected by a terrible or wonderful game against the Packers might be George, and I'm hoping for once they've brought in people to insulate the org from his decisions. 

Emotionally I'd love to see them bring Justin back, and really give a QB time to mature, but rationally I think they'd be making a move with higher upside and better near term finances if they draft a rookie.  Pretty pleased that the Bears have a crossroads with two options that could yield success, as opposed to the usual. 

And for what it's worth I actually like WI and grew up there part time. Green Bay has a ton of pleasant if chilly stuff to do year round.  There's nothing wrong with the state itself.  It's just that for whatever reason60% of the population is the exact same drunk in a bar, and I say that as a fan of drunks in bars.  My old man and I used to clean up playing pool up there.  My first bar was a place called Caddyshack where they let me drink from age 14 on, at least as long as we ordered burgers too.  We watched our fair share of Bears games up there and it was always funny as whenever the Bears would do something idiotic like 60 heads would all turn our way to see how we were doing. Good times up there. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I was about to make a comment about expecting interior pressure because of that... But honestly not sure we'll even notice in the blocking department. Snapping and/or the exchange might be interesting given limited reps, though. 

I know the narrative has been bears v packers, arch nemesis, can the bears keep the packers out of the playoffs, etc.  but i wonder if the bears feel the same way.  Beating the pack would be a great way to end this year and to get some momentum going into next year, but at the same time, say a prominent player tears an acl today in a virtually meaningless game.  That would be devastating.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see some younger guys/backups getting more playing time today.

37 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I know the narrative has been bears v packers, arch nemesis, can the bears keep the packers out of the playoffs, etc.  but i wonder if the bears feel the same way.  Beating the pack would be a great way to end this year and to get some momentum going into next year, but at the same time, say a prominent player tears an acl today in a virtually meaningless game.  That would be devastating.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see some younger guys/backups getting more playing time today.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

At this point it's basically a sociopathic abusive big brother that hasn't let up on his slightly slow vegan little brother for 30 years.

• Like 2