Josh Norman in 2018?

Dashing202

What should we do with him... he will be 30 and he's still playing at a high level but we aren't contenders but we could release him and save 14 million in cap space . And we could also trade him .

or simply keep him and extend him? What should we do

one team I bet would love him would be the Buffalo bills .

I'd say work out an extension. A good one gives you at least $8M back in next years cap. His current contract had fully guaranteed money only in the first 2 years so something similar that you could walk away from in 2 years with minimal damage would be OK. There's no more fully guaranteed money on this contract - he'd probably be open to a signing bonus and a year or 2 of fully guaranteed salary on an extension.

Norman has the option to back out of his contract after this season if he so chooses. 

I say let him. I don’t think he has been that great. 

He says he came here to win a championship and that its not about the money, but serisously, if you did any research or had your agent had that interest in mind before you bolted Carolina, you would have known that we have a toddler for an owner and president of the team and that this team was not going to win anything with those two boobs running the show. It was all about the money. 

Not buyin it. 

Let him walk. Get the compensation. Sign Breeland. Let Fuller and Breeland start the outsides and move Moreau into the slot. I dont like paying CB’s a large sum of money much like what Norman is getting. 

Somebody will pay Breeland to around $5M to $6M @ year next season; it's just the going rate. Are you OK with the with Skins paying that? I'm not on-board with it - 2017

James Bradberry  - 13 games   66 tackles   8 passes defended 1 int
Bashaud Breeland - 12 games   40 tackles   14 passes defended 1 int
Kendall Fuller  -         13 games  43 tackles    6 passes defended   4 int

Don't see a $5M @ year difference between between those rooks (especially considering Fuller's snap count) & a 4 year vet. Might consider making that a draft consideration somewhere (mid rounds). If you want to keep Fuller as nickle back that's OK - just trying to show production versus cost.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:00 PM, SeattleSkin said:

Somebody will pay Breeland to around $5M to $6M @ year next season; it's just the going rate. Are you OK with the with Skins paying that? I'm not on-board with it - 2017

James Bradberry  - 13 games   66 tackles   8 passes defended 1 int
Bashaud Breeland - 12 games   40 tackles   14 passes defended 1 int
Kendall Fuller  -         13 games  43 tackles    6 passes defended   4 int

Don't see a $5M @ year difference between between those rooks (especially considering Fuller's snap count) & a 4 year vet. Might consider making that a draft consideration somewhere (mid rounds). If you want to keep Fuller as nickle back that's OK - just trying to show production versus cost.

There’s a difference because Breeland will be going on his second contract. He will get a salary for the going rate of a good starting corner - but not great like what you said - at least we won’t be paying for elite and not getting it. 

As for the draft we just drafted Fuller & Moreau; they should get the shot to battle it out as the starter opposite Bree with Dunbar who we can re-sign for cheap. Holsey can be the number 5 corner, he could have had a larger role this year but we just had such good depth so he didn't.

We’ll save what $10 Plus million on next year’s cap by making Norman a June 1st release and then re-signing Bree.

Then, Norman can go and play for a contender or a team that needs a #1 corner and could be a contender like Atlanta, Green Bay or Oakland. Both sides win. He’s had a down year this year and was good but not elite last year. Norman just isn’t worth his contract. 

I’ll stand by that opinion and there are actually some analytics to back that up that I just saw form burgundy blog. If Bree is a poor man’s Norman and younger, then let’s go with him - the home grown talent - use the $10 million extra we save to sign the best ILB, NT or a “real WR” who has some speed that we can use opposite Doctson.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I have been consistent in sayin that Josh Norman has not been meeting what his contract is paying him. The EVM is extremely lopsided and IMO, take Norman off the team. Love his grit and swag, but D.J. Is more vocal and leads that unit. 

Breeland

Fuller

Moreau

Dunbar

Holsey

If Norman is not in man press, he sucks. He is a physical corner that doesn’t trail well. I think we overspent for him and I think it’s time to give him the option to let him go. 

This fanbase lol. He's been hurt since the chiefs game. He probably should've went on IR at that point but in typical redskin fan fashion we whine about the few truly talented players we have all the while propping up bums like Will Compton. 

Go ahead, wish for Norman to be gone and then pay Breeland. What could possibly go wrong with that plan? Lol

On 12/12/2017 at 7:04 PM, mike23md said:

Norman has the option to back out of his contract after this season if he so chooses. 

I say let him. I don’t think he has been that great. 

He says he came here to win a championship and that its not about the money, but serisously, if you did any research or had your agent had that interest in mind before you bolted Carolina, you would have known that we have a toddler for an owner and president of the team and that this team was not going to win anything with those two boobs running the show. It was all about the money. 

Not buyin it. 

Let him walk. Get the compensation. Sign Breeland. Let Fuller and Breeland start the outsides and move Moreau into the slot. I dont like paying CB’s a large sum of money much like what Norman is getting. 

Breeland is awful. You're complaining about Norman getting beat and you want to keep burnt toast Breeland? Good lord. Breeland gets absolutely torched any time he has to cover the opposing teams top receiver. Hell, he gets burnt by mid level receivers. This whole idea of getting rid of Norman, who is one of the leagues best corners, to pay big money to a scrub like Breeland is absurd. 

Only, Norman hasn’t played like one of the league’s best since we signed him. I was always leery of giving him such a large contract because he was a product of having a lot of good and great talent on that Carolina defense. It’s not like this defense has jumped off the charts since we signed him. It’d be better to spread his $ around to other positions on the defense.

I can dig Mike23’s idea of Norman going to Atlanta. He’s more a dirty south guy anyways.

You re-sign Bree & Dunbar, make Fuller a starter. Moreau and Dunbar can battle it out to be the #3 who comes in to play the outside when Fuller goes to the slot in our nickle D. Holsey is the #5.

If we take Norman’s $18 to 20 million and spread it amongst Breeland (what? 5 or 6 million?) sign a NT for something similar and a WILB for something similar then our D should be at least average - if not better - with better health next year.

This is the entire argument I had in 09 against signing Haynesworth. Obviously, Norman was a better signing than Haynesworth but still not worth what he’s making or what he will make in 2018.

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Breeland is awful. You're complaining about Norman getting beat and you want to keep burnt toast Breeland? Good lord. Breeland gets absolutely torched any time he has to cover the opposing teams top receiver. Hell, he gets burnt by mid level receivers. This whole idea of getting rid of Norman, who is one of the leagues best corners, to pay big money to a scrub like Breeland is absurd. 

I dont think Breeland has been as awful as you think. Frankly, I would be willing to pay him 5-6M AAV to stay and recoup some of the money that Norman is making. Someone not living up to their potential is Norman. For what he is getting paid, he should be shutting down team #1’s much like Richard Sherman, yet he is not. 

If he’s hurt, then sit. 

The decision for him to leave is up to him. 

That money could easily go towards adding more pieces to the offensive line and adding a competent WR like Adams or Landry. 

Honestly, I would rather keep Kirk, have Norman leave, pay Breeland, and draft the rest. 

34 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I dont think Breeland has been as awful as you think. Frankly, I would be willing to pay him 5-6M AAV to stay and recoup some of the money that Norman is making. Someone not living up to their potential is Norman. For what he is getting paid, he should be shutting down team #1’s much like Richard Sherman, yet he is not. 

If he’s hurt, then sit. 

The decision for him to leave is up to him. 

That money could easily go towards adding more pieces to the offensive line and adding a competent WR like Adams or Landry. 

Honestly, I would rather keep Kirk, have Norman leave, pay Breeland, and draft the rest. 

Letting Norman leave to pay Breeland is not going to work out well. It's asking for trouble. 

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Only, Norman hasn’t played like one of the league’s best since we signed him. I was always leery of giving him such a large contract because he was a product of having a lot of good and great talent on that Carolina defense. It’s not like this defense has jumped off the charts since we signed him. It’d be better to spread his $ around to other positions on the defense.

I can dig Mike23’s idea of Norman going to Atlanta. He’s more a dirty south guy anyways.

You re-sign Bree & Dunbar, make Fuller a starter. Moreau and Dunbar can battle it out to be the #3 who comes in to play the outside when Fuller goes to the slot in our nickle D. Holsey is the #5.

If we take Norman’s $18 to 20 million and spread it amongst Breeland (what? 5 or 6 million?) sign a NT for something similar and a WILB for something similar then our D should be at least average - if not better - with better health next year.

This is the entire argument I had in 09 against signing Haynesworth. Obviously, Norman was a better signing than Haynesworth but still not worth what he’s making or what he will make in 2018.

We have no DL, middle of the pack pass rush and arguably the worst safety situation in the league and he still finishes in the upper tier of corners for PFF. He's been worth every penny. 

The fact some of you actually want to pay a guy who just got benched for Dunbar a sizable contract is crazy to me. 

I like Norman but if we are keeping manusky and gruden I doubt will win a SB 

2015 was different our O was good very good actually and just needed more on the D

instead our D showed early flashes and it's allowing 30 ppg.

like 2016 should of been a over the 9-7 hump to 11-5 no excuse .

that being said I love Norman he isn't a bust he doesn't have an int but we can release him and see what fuller and Dunbar can do as a starter . Dunbar isn't perfect but he'd be cheap and shown flashes him full time at corner could benefit .

but releasing Norman saves 9 mil in cap space? That can get us an defensive player or offensive player that's needed

Archived