2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

13 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Salzburg the better team but the ref had his bets on Marseille...shame, but a great run nonetheless. Atletico will win it anyway.

They looked much better in 2nd half for sure. I was rooting for them (or more against Marseille actually), shame they couldn't score a 3rd goal before OT. As for the refs, don't forget that he didn't call a blatant hand in the box for Marseille late in regulation. Just a bad ref overall imho

15 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Salzburg the better team but the ref had his bets on Marseille...shame, but a great run nonetheless. Atletico will win it anyway.

ref should have given penalty for Marseille due to handball. He was pretty bad though.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

They looked much better in 2nd half for sure. I was rooting for them (or more against Marseille actually), shame they couldn't score a 3rd goal before OT. As for the refs, don't forget that he didn't call a blatant hand in the box for Marseille late in regulation. Just a bad ref overall imho

Yeah, Salzburg should have had one in Marseille too. Never seen so many bad calls on corners and throw ins like yesterday. Referees been pretty dreadful wherever you look. It's almost like they want VAR to get introduced.

14 hours ago, PAW said:

Liverpool making me look good.  Pretty sure everyone on here disagreed with me when I said they are a top 5 team in Europe and can win the CL with VvD.

I said theiy could win the Champions League, too. Still don't think they're a top 5 team in Europe, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2018 at 7:47 PM, PAW said:

Liverpool making me look good.  Pretty sure everyone on here disagreed with me when I said they are a top 5 team in Europe and can win the CL with VvD.

You can’t be top 5 team in Europe and barely finish top 4 in league. CL football suits their style of play that’s it. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

On Sun May 20 2018 at 10:55 AM, Kip Smithers said:

You can’t be top 5 team in Europe and barely finish top 4 in league. CL football suits their style of play that’s it. 

Agreed, Liverpool aren't a top 5 team in Europe, even if they win the Champions League.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:55 PM, Kip Smithers said:

I think that's a little unfair on them, to me they were the 2nd best team in England beyond the first two months or so of the season and probably would have finished 2nd if their focus didn't shift strictly to Champions League during the run-in.

That said, they've also been very opportunistic with a soft draw in the Champions League. The only big team they faced was a team they were familiar with from their own league and matched up well with stylistically. Would have been interesting to see what a Barca/Liverpool semi would have looked like had Barca not choked against Roma. They're pretty fortunate to avoid any of the foreign giants until the final where it's a bit more of a random one-off. 

18 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Liverpool 11 vs 11 are probably the 2nd best team in the PL.

Problem is in the PL you need squad depth, and when your backups are Moreno, Klavan & Ings you are going to struggle.

I actually thing Ings can be a good option once he gets back into fitness. Agree they currently lack the depth to really challenge. It will be very interesting to see what they do this year after a highly successful season. They've got Keita coming in as well although Can leaving is a loss.