2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

Tonight and tomorrow night see the first legs of the 3rd qualifying round for next years Champions League.

Now that the majority of minnows have departed (unlucky Dundalk), I feel that now is an appropriate time to start this thread.

Below is a list of the fixtures lifted straight off Wikipedia, as you can see there are a few tasty looking ties taking place in this round and some "big" names will fall even before they have reached the final playoff stage.

Celtic have a tough draw against 24-time Norwegian Champions Rosenborg, although it has been 10 years since Rosenborg managed to make it into the Group Stages.

The "league route" fixtures are where it gets really tasty, particularly the Nice vs Ajax tie. Liverpool fans will watch these ties closely as they could be Liverpool's opponents in the final play-off stage.

Team 1 Agg. Team 2 1st leg 2nd leg
Champions Route
Slavia Prague     BATE Borisov 25 Jul 2 Aug
Astana     Legia Warsaw 26 Jul 2 Aug
Maribor     FH 26 Jul 2 Aug
Vardar     Copenhagen 25 Jul 2 Aug
Celtic     Rosenborg 26 Jul 2 Aug
Hapoel Be'er Sheva     Ludogorets Razgrad 26 Jul 2 Aug
Viitorul Constanța     APOEL 26 Jul 2 Aug
Red Bull Salzburg     Rijeka 26 Jul 2 Aug
Qarabağ     Sheriff Tiraspol 25 Jul 1 Aug
Partizan     Olympiacos 25 Jul 2 Aug
League Route
Steaua București     Viktoria Plzeň 25 Jul 2 Aug
Nice     Ajax 26 Jul 2 Aug
Dynamo Kyiv     Young Boys 26 Jul 2 Aug
AEK Athens     CSKA Moscow 25 Jul 2 Aug
Club Brugge     İstanbul Başakşehir 26 Jul 2 Aug

Tuesday, 25 July

Slavia Prague 1-1 BATE Borisov

Qarabag FK 0-0 Sheriff Tiraspol

FK Vardar 1-0 København

Partizan 1-3 Olympiacos

AEK 0-2 CSKA Moscow

Steaua Bucuresti 2-2 Viktoria Plzeň

No huge shocks from last night. København (47th) falling to FK Vardar (202nd) is probably the biggest shock, particularly as the Danes have already started their regular season.

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I thought this was the Championship thread and I got really excited. That Oliver Norwood though...

Haha without Kempes it's hard to keep a lower league thread going without me spamming the hell out of it.

8 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Haha without Kempes it's hard to keep a lower league thread going without me spamming the hell out of it.

Ha, that's why I don't post in it much. No one wants to hear about Fulham that much haha. Probably best to roll the EFL into the "Other Leagues" thread. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Ha, that's why I don't post in it much. No one wants to hear about Fulham that much haha. Probably best to roll the EFL into the "Other Leagues" thread. 

I think so. I've held back on introducing too many threads until activity picks up a bit. I think once the season gets going properly it gives us something to talk about at least. 

Wednesday, 26 July

Astana 3 -1 Legia Warsaw

Red Bull Salzburg 1-1 Rijeka

H. Beer-Sheva 2-0 Ludogorets

Viitorul 1-0 Apoel Nicosia

Maribor 1-0 FH

Celtic 0-0 Rosenborg

Dynamo Kyiv 3-1 Young Boys

OGC Nice 1-1 Ajax

Club Brugge 3-3 İstanbul Başakşehir

Again no huge shocks, Celtic were fortunate to end the evening all square with Rosenborg and will be hoping to ****** an away goal in Norway.

League Route

Seeded teams: Sevilla, Napoli, Liverpool, CSKA, Sporting

Unseeded teams: Steaua, Young Boys, Hoffenheim, Istanbul Basaksehir, Nice

Champions Route

Seeded teams: Celtic, Olympiakos, Copenhagen, APOEL, Maribor

Unseeded teams: Slavia Praque, Astana, Rijeka, Hapoel Beer Sheva, Qarabag

Play-off draw on Friday

Edited by marky mark

Celtic absolutely scrapped through. 

I can see them struggling against any of those unseeded sides. 

Astana beat Legia who thrashed Celtic a couple of years ago. 

Rijeka beat Dinamo Zagreb to the Croatian title (most of the year unbeaten too) and knocked out a handy RB Salzburg side.

Nobody wants away days in Azerbaijan it Israel.

44 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Celtic absolutely scrapped through. 

I can see them struggling against any of those unseeded sides. 

Astana beat Legia who thrashed Celtic a couple of years ago. 

Rijeka beat Dinamo Zagreb to the Croatian title (most of the year unbeaten too) and knocked out a handy RB Salzburg side.

Nobody wants away days in Azerbaijan it Israel.

I didn't even look at the seeded champions. I was refering to the league route seeds.

9 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Sorry I wasn't directly responding to you. Just a comment on Celtic and the threadbare Scottish league they dominate. 

Yeah, the Scottish league is an absolute joke. I know a few Celtic fans and they're genuinely more happy when Rangers fail to win as opposed to when Celtic do. 

Not Champions League, but Aberdeen got knocked out in the Europa League third qualifying round. So, both Rangers and Aberdeen have fallen in the Europa League qualifying rounds. Against Progres Niederkorn and Apollon Limassol, respectively. Its not much of a surprise, but the overall level of Scottish football is probably League 2 or worse. Celtic are probably a Championship team, too.