2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

• 4 weeks later...

Exceptional performance from us last night. I still expect City to advance, but we have everything to fight for. City created next to nothing (VAR is absolutely diabolical). Losing Kane is obviously a blow, but we have shown we are capable of winning without him. As much as I love his enthusiasm, he needs to learn to stop throwing himself into needless challenges. Its his 3rd fairly serious ankle injury in a year. All to play for.

Really well played from Spurs.  Their pressing prevented Man City from getting into their usual passing rhythm and allowed them to create chances themselves.  City turned it on in the final half hour, but did not ultimately create anything too challenging for Lloris.  Son took his goal well.  Hope they take City out.

Bad result last night. I thought Barcelona, for their standards, were pretty poor but I do feel you can attribute some of that to the way we pressed in midfield and played tight defensively. 

When you're playing Barcelona you need to take full advantage of any transition opportunities or any chances you create in open play; we were poor in both aspects. We had numerous chances on the counter to create something and we let ourselves down with the quality of passing, whilst also missing 3 or 4 very good goal scoring opportunities.

Still, I thought the effort was there and we are still seeing growth in our players (most notably McTominay and Fred). I am obviously of the opinion we're as good as out, but we didn't disgrace ourselves against a far superior opponent featuring the best player of all time.

12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Bad result last night. I thought Barcelona, for their standards, were pretty poor but I do feel you can attribute some of that to the way we pressed in midfield and played tight defensively. 

When you're playing Barcelona you need to take full advantage of any transition opportunities or any chances you create in open play; we were poor in both aspects. We had numerous chances on the counter to create something and we let ourselves down with the quality of passing, whilst also missing 3 or 4 very good goal scoring opportunities.

Still, I thought the effort was there and we are still seeing growth in our players (most notably McTominay and Fred). I am obviously of the opinion we're as good as out, but we didn't disgrace ourselves against a far superior opponent featuring the best player of all time.

You bloodied Messi, so that's something.  If only your home support hadn't made such tools of themselves afterward by singing "Viva Ronaldo!" after a player you sold more than 10 years ago and who had little to do with a match their side was losing.  I'm certainly not one to claim any sort of moral superiority, at least in terms of not supporting a club that has some real gems for fans, though.

10 hours ago, The LBC said:

You bloodied Messi, so that's something.  If only your home support hadn't made such tools of themselves afterward by singing "Viva Ronaldo!" after a player you sold more than 10 years ago and who had little to do with a match their side was losing.  I'm certainly not one to claim any sort of moral superiority, at least in terms of not supporting a club that has some real gems for fans, though.

Meh, that's football fan culture for you. It's the usual 'banter' to try and annoy fans of other teams. I remember that UEFA Cup game against Ajax under Ferguson when Ajax fans spent the best part of an hour singing Luis Suarez songs due to his Liverpool allegiance.

It's cringing at times, but I've got far bigger gripes with United's boring, quiet, middle class home support than singing songs about Cristiano Ronaldo.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:55 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Meh, that's football fan culture for you. It's the usual 'banter' to try and annoy fans of other teams. I remember that UEFA Cup game against Ajax under Ferguson when Ajax fans spent the best part of an hour singing Luis Suarez songs due to his Liverpool allegiance.

It's cringing at times, but I've got far bigger gripes with United's boring, quiet, middle class home support than singing songs about Cristiano Ronaldo.

I'd take your boring, middle class home support over our mostly-quiet (not allowed to stand in large swathes of the lower sections), large portion of tourists home support.

One of the best games of football I have ever seen, that. The sheer class of De Bruyne, the terrorising Sterling, the deadly Son, the 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING ERIKSEN' and VAR - simply incredible.

Congrats to Spurs - to approach the game like they did without their best player is a credit to them. Semi Final of a European Cup without signing anyone for 15 months ... And people think Poch is a fraud because he hasn't won an FA Cup?!?!?!?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Probably the best part was Guardiola bounding down the sidelines at the late winner, only for it to be overturned. That was delicious.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this as a Utd fan. That said, we don't want to get to the point where VAR is causing people to not celebrate goals when they go in due to fear of VAR turning them in a viral meme ...