2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Whole situation with the Europa final and Mikhi is just completely disgraceful. Stuff like this is why my interest has waned this past year in the sport, the level of greed and corruption is just on a completely different scale it feels like. 

There is no boundary for the greed in this sport.

About the only evidence to the contrary was the miraculous decision of FIFA to not extend the participating World Cup teams from 32 to 48 in 2022.

11 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Ozil needs to go to MLS.

He just plain needs to go.  He's the sort of player that you either get a 10/10 performance from him or a 5/10 performance and just as often as you'll get a 10/10 performance out of him you'll get a 2/10 performance.

My only complaint about the match, which we in no way deserved to win, was the stonewall penalty denied when Kepa took out Lacazette.  Honestly doubt it would have mattered, because the entire attitude of the Arsenal side wilted like tissue paper under water as soon as the first goal against them went in.

This is ultimately what the quality of the team deserves.  We're a Europa league side that's 2-3 years away from being competitive - and that makes the very unlikely assumption that UEFA ever actually holds the likes of City accountable from regularly thumbing their noses at FFP.  Given the ages of Lacazette and Aubameyang, no player in the first team should be exempt should a sizable enough offer come in for any of them.

But Ozil is a cancer at this point that needs to be excised because he's going to - if he hasn't already - negatively affect the dressing room and the younger players coming through the team with his malaise.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

He just plain needs to go.  He's the sort of player that you either get a 10/10 performance from him or a 5/10 performance and just as often as you'll get a 10/10 performance out of him you'll get a 2/10 performance.

My only complaint about the match, which we in no way deserved to win, was the stonewall penalty denied when Kepa took out Lacazette.  Honestly doubt it would have mattered, because the entire attitude of the Arsenal side wilted like tissue paper under water as soon as the first goal against them went in.

This is ultimately what the quality of the team deserves.  We're a Europa league side that's 2-3 years away from being competitive - and that makes the very unlikely assumption that UEFA ever actually holds the likes of City accountable from regularly thumbing their noses at FFP.  Given the ages of Lacazette and Aubameyang, no player in the first team should be exempt should a sizable enough offer come in for any of them.

But Ozil is a cancer at this point that needs to be excised because he's going to - if he hasn't already - negatively affect the dressing room and the younger players coming through the team with his malaise.

Gotta give Emery lots of credit for them coming in the top 5.

Or maybe just Aubameyang and Lacazette.

29 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Gotta give Emery lots of credit for them coming in the top 5.

Or maybe just Aubameyang and Lacazette.

Weird season because top 5 seems good but they should've been top 4. At the end of the season Arsenal, ManU, Chelsea, and Tottenham all seem allergic to finishing top 4. Ripe for the taking and let it pass them.

Also @The LBC You're the first person I have talked to who said that was a penalty. Including some pretty bias Arsenal supporters.

8 minutes ago, teamorange said:

Weird season because top 5 seems good but they should've been top 4. At the end of the season Arsenal, ManU, Chelsea, and Tottenham all seem allergic to finishing top 4. Ripe for the taking and let it pass them.

Also @The LBC You're the first person I have talked to who said that was a penalty. Including some pretty bias Arsenal supporters.

Kepa basically grabbed his foot

Obviously, losing in a major European final is the most painful thing for Arsenal. But missing out on the CL for another season is financially crippling. Whilst City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and United are growing richer, Arsenal have relatively stagnated. It's going to be a tough road for them to get back to the top of the league.

57 minutes ago, teamorange said:

My first reaction to it was actually that it wasn't a penalty.  But the slo-mo made it clear, it's the second effort to still clear out the feet by Kepa after he's pushed the ball away - there's a pretty clear second movement.  Honestly, I'm more irritated that VAR was in effect for this match and wasn't even consulted when there have been less-worse non-calls in the CL group stages this year that went as quick to be brought up under VAR review as possible.

16 minutes ago, kempus said:

Obviously, losing in a major European final is the most painful thing for Arsenal. But missing out on the CL for another season is financially crippling. Whilst City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and United are growing richer, Arsenal have relatively stagnated. It's going to be a tough road for them to get back to the top of the league.

The money is honestly the thing I wanted the most - obviously any opportunity at silverware you clearly want, but I wanted the money moreso than the CL qualification.  Realistically, barring another ultra-breaks-go-their-way season from Liverpool, I don't see anyone challenging City in the PL until Pep leaves as long as their permitted to spunk 200m per summer unchecked by UEFA.

We've needed a reboot, so to speak, for a while and clearing out of the driftwood, which was going to take some time.  Our academy right now is the best I've seen it in 20 years.  So there is hope, but the ability to keep that hope together if even 30% of them come good will be dependent on stringing together at least some domestic cup finishes and possibly a Europa title in the coming years.