2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

22 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

It's a better idea to combine the Europa League

Particularly as we have several Arsenal fans in here.

This is one of the most awesome sly digs I've seen for a long time. Kudos to you, Sir.

Champions route draw:
Qarabağ (AZE) v København (DEN) 
APOEL (CYP) v Slavia Praha (CZE) 
Olympiacos (GRE) v Rijeka (CRO) 
Celtic (SCO) v Astana (KAZ) 
Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR) v Maribor (SVN)

League route draw:
İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR) v Sevilla (ESP) 
Young Boys (SUI) v  CSKA Moskva (RUS) 
Napoli (ITA) v Nice (FRA) 
Hoffenheim (GER) v Liverpool (ENG) 
Sporting CP (POR) v FCSB (ROU)

Horrible draws for both Celtic and Liverpool.

• Astana are just about to complete their season as Champions (they play through the spring/summer in Kazakhstan) so will be fully up to speed.
  • Hoffenheim were 2 points away from automatic qualification to the Champions League last season and took 4 points off Bayern Munich.

It's also worth noting Astana just knocked out Legia Warsaw, a side whom if it wasn't for a 2 minute cameo from an ineligible player a couple of years ago, would have taken Celtic's place in that's years CL after thrashing them 6-1 on aggregate. 

Edited by texans_uk

1 hour ago, AustrianNiner said:

Hoffenheim lost two important players in Süle and Rudy, but Nagelsmann is a genius. Their style could suit as though and I'm not sure they'll be able to cope with the pace of Mane and Salah. Will certainly be two entertaining matches, still have to get through though.

Definitely will be a difficult test for Liverpool. They will need to be at their best to advance and hopefully they won't still be finding their feet early in the season or they could easily crash out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Huge night tonight for Liverpool.

Watford exposed them badly at the weekend and they are still without Coutinho. 

I spoke to a colleague today and apparently Hoffenheim scored the most goals from set plays in the Bundesliga last year, which spells disaster for Liverpool who look like conceding from every dead ball situation. 

An away goal would be priceless. 

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I spoke to a colleague today and apparently Hoffenheim scored the most goals from set plays in the Bundesliga last year, which spells disaster for Liverpool who look like conceding from every dead ball situation. 

Yeah... If that is true that's not a great thing for Liverpool. Conceding from set pieces so consistently is one of the most frustrating things for me to watch, it's unacceptable that can't be fixed. 

39 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Nightmare start for Lovren. Should have conceded a penalty on a bad handball, gets away with it, then almost immediately gives away a penalty on a dumb foul. 

And then Mignolet bails him out... awful awful penalty from Kramaric. 

Never a pen that.

Trent Alexander-Arnold is the man. What a guy.