2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

14 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

My god that is such a typical Spurs draw. Spurs vs Dortmund are going to be some extremely entertaining matches though. The homecoming for Bale should be interesting as well. Baby come back...

While it's a tough group, am I alone in thinking Spurs can finish 2nd? And they have a pretty solid chance in doing so. I really like this Spurs team top to bottom and I'm not convinced BVB is the BVB of old. Lots of youth, inexperienced manager and a few injury concerns on that team. I reckon Spurs under Poch could put them to the sword.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

While it's a tough group, am I alone in thinking Spurs can finish 2nd? And they have a pretty solid chance in doing so. I really like this Spurs team top to bottom and I'm not convinced BVB is the BVB of old. Lots of youth, inexperienced manager and a few injury concerns on that team. I reckon Spurs under Poch could put them to the sword.

Oh definitely. I'd take Spurs over Dortmund at the moment, there a lot of questions for Dortmund and their new manager still for me. Spurs should be a tough side for anyone and I expect them to give Madrid a pretty close game in at least one of their matches. It will be interesting to see if they are improved this year in Europe because last season they were pretty dire. It should be a great group to watch and Apoel have had some results in Europe in the past so you never know if they'll throw a wrench in the plans for a club. 

21 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Oh definitely. I'd take Spurs over Dortmund at the moment, there a lot of questions for Dortmund and their new manager still for me. Spurs should be a tough side for anyone and I expect them to give Madrid a pretty close game in at least one of their matches. It will be interesting to see if they are improved this year in Europe because last season they were pretty dire. It should be a great group to watch and Apoel have had some results in Europe in the past so you never know if they'll throw a wrench in the plans for a club. 

Dortmund have questions, Spurs have just as many if not more. Spurs have done nothing in Europe. They're good by PL standards but by CL standards Dortmund are still easily better imo in the CL. They couldn't even beat Leverkusen. I think you guys are assuming that the Spurs that we see in the PL is the same as the one we see in the CL

Edited by Kip Smithers

Tough group, but very exciting. Will be a great chance to have some massive European nights again. If we can get over playing at Wembley, we can get out of the group. Honestly, we're not going to win the competition, so it's those games against Real and Dortmund that you're in the competition for. 

11 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

It really is a shame that groups like Spartak-Sevilla-Liverpool-Maribor can exist while Bayern gets PSG, Chelsea gets Atleti, Juve gets Barca, and Real get Dortmund and Spurs. Spartak and Shakhtar-like teams belong nowhere near Pot 1

This debate raged for a long time. You have teams like PSG and Man City to thank. 

Basically they were sick of being put in pot 4, due to their lack of European success, despite winning their respective titles. So now we have the Ukrainian and Russian Champions in Pot 1.

As it stands Belgium would replace Ukraine in next year's pot 1. Meaning Anderlecht would possibly be a pot 1 team. 

9 hours ago, kempus said:

Tough group, but very exciting. Will be a great chance to have some massive European nights again. If we can get over playing at Wembley, we can get out of the group. Honestly, we're not going to win the competition, so it's those games against Real and Dortmund that you're in the competition for. 

I live a stones throw from Wembley so I'm definitely going to try and get tickets to Real and Dortmund.