2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

Been avoiding this thread since Wednesday because VAR broke my damn heart. Obviously I'd have loved the quadruple and the UCL is the thing that I want more than anything but revenge today kind of helps. It sucks knowing we were an Aguero missed PK and two unfavorable VAR rulings away from the Semis. Also the results make me happy because I've long argued Harry Kane forces Spurs to play mundane and the results kind of show as much when he's been out this year.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:27 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I mean, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this as a Utd fan. That said, we don't want to get to the point where VAR is causing people to not celebrate goals when they go in due to fear of VAR turning them in a viral meme ...

The delay in VAR is what got me. Sterling thought he was clear in for like 3 minutes until the ruling came.

• 2 weeks later...

So that sucked. Go to Camp Nou, play fairly attractive football, and go into the second leg down 3-0. That's a tough pill to swallow. It's not even that we played poorly, Barca just played better and we couldn't bury our chances. We also missed TAA on the right.

7 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

So that sucked. Go to Camp Nou, play fairly attractive football, and go into the second leg down 3-0. That's a tough pill to swallow. It's not even that we played poorly, Barca just played better and we couldn't bury our chances. We also missed TAA on the right.

That TAA decision baffled me. Gomez hasn't started a game since December and Klopp decides that away at Barcelona in the Semi Final of the Champions League is the best game to put him in? Given TAA's form, that just seemed crazy (unless he has a knock we aren't aware of).

Liverpool will be gutted they didn't score. Mane had a couple, Milner's chance, Firmino's off the line followed by an awful miss by Salah; 3-1 is a much, much better result than 3-0.

That said, they should also be out of the tie if not for Dembele being simply awful.

Messi doing Messi things. 

What an unbelievable performance, and what an awful year to be a United fan.

Klopp's squad assemble is really thin on technical ability, but he (smartly) has compensated this with unbelievable athletes with elite mental strength and commitment. Liverpool simply bullied Barcelona from the 1st minute. They harassed them ALL game with endless energy from all over the pitch.

Once again, Barcelona's arrogance to not be willing to change their style of play when the tide is against them has cost them in Europe. To concede that 3rd goal 27 seconds after the 2nd, when you get the kick off, was an absolute disgrace. Just keep it tight, don't take risks, and try to quieten the crowd for 5 mins. But nooooooooo, not Barcelona - they're too good for that ...

But the main takeaway from the game should be how amazing Liverpool were. A truly memorable night for them. Good to see their fans have realised just how big of a muppet Suarez is too. One could argue it took a lot longer than it should have, but better late than never.

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

What an unbelievable performance, and what an awful year to be a United fan.

Klopp's squad assemble is really thin on technical ability, but he (smartly) has compensated this with unbelievable athletes with elite mental strength and commitment. Liverpool simply bullied Barcelona from the 1st minute. They harassed them ALL game with endless energy from all over the pitch.

Once again, Barcelona's arrogance to not be willing to change their style of play when the tide is against them has cost them in Europe. To concede that 3rd goal 27 seconds after the 2nd, when you get the kick off, was an absolute disgrace. Just keep it tight, don't take risks, and try to quieten the crowd for 5 mins. But nooooooooo, not Barcelona - they're too good for that ...

But the main takeaway from the game should be how amazing Liverpool were. A truly memorable night for them. Good to see their fans have realised just how big of a muppet Suarez is too. One could argue it took a lot longer than it should have, but better late than never.

If you're a neutral, it's impossible to hate this Liverpool team. I desperately want them to win the title.